C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Loose suspension / excessive body roll?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
Loose suspension / excessive body roll?

Anyone else with a C300 experience what can only be described as a suspension that feels very loose? Too much play in the steering wheel, and I feel a lot of extra body roll or rocking back and forth compared to driving C300 and GLA loaners. My car just doesn't feel like it stays as nice and level and is as tight as other similar Mercedes. I also feel the back and forth sway a lot when braking and even sometimes when the transmission shifts at low speeds I feel the back and forth rock (not just the forward lurching). When I drive other C300s with the same base/comfort suspension and tire setup they feel so much firmer, less play in the wheel, and for lack of a better way to describe it they feel more "level" throughout driving conditions. I've had the car in for other issues and have had them check the suspension each time, but they never find anything out of place or loose. I'm supposed to go in on Monday when they have it ready and go on a drive with the shop foreman. I have trouble explaining exactly what I'm feeling and unless you drive my car a lot and get into another similar vehicle you probably wouldn't notice anything "wrong". Is there a better way to explain or demonstrate this to the dealer, or has anyone else had this problem and been able to get it resolved (if so, what was the resolution)?
Old 01-31-2020, 01:31 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
there is a recall regarding the power steering rack bolts, idk if that would affect it
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4matic
I have a 2015 C300 4Matic @ 41k miles and this is exactly the issue I've noticed. Every little bump sends the car bouncing side-to-side. On the highway, it rocks back and forth just like you described. Been on countless test drives with the foreman and no dice. I've tried changing out the shocks, springs, and even control arms.... nothing. All the newer C300's (and even the cheap A-class) feel much more stable on the road--less harsh and less bouncy .

A few things that have helped me are:
1. Changing runflats into Michelin PS 3's
2. Lowering tire pressure to 32psi cold (warms up to 36psi while driving)
3. Filling up the gas tank, which makes the car feel more stable

Would love to know if others have this issue & how they remedied it. I've had different shops look at the suspension and all components are in good shape. Lyft drivers with their <2010 Nissans and Volkswagens all handle the exact same road I drive much better.

p.s. I've had the power steering rack bolt recall done earlier this month; the steering feels tighter, but nothing else has changed.

Last edited by magz; 01-31-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Recall done
Old 02-01-2020, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by jlr82
Anyone else with a C300 experience what can only be described as a suspension that feels very loose? Too much play in the steering wheel, and I feel a lot of extra body roll or rocking back and forth compared to driving C300 and GLA loaners. My car just doesn't feel like it stays as nice and level and is as tight as other similar Mercedes. I also feel the back and forth sway a lot when braking and even sometimes when the transmission shifts at low speeds I feel the back and forth rock (not just the forward lurching). When I drive other C300s with the same base/comfort suspension and tire setup they feel so much firmer, less play in the wheel, and for lack of a better way to describe it they feel more "level" throughout driving conditions. I've had the car in for other issues and have had them check the suspension each time, but they never find anything out of place or loose. I'm supposed to go in on Monday when they have it ready and go on a drive with the shop foreman. I have trouble explaining exactly what I'm feeling and unless you drive my car a lot and get into another similar vehicle you probably wouldn't notice anything "wrong". Is there a better way to explain or demonstrate this to the dealer, or has anyone else had this problem and been able to get it resolved (if so, what was the resolution)?
You probably have the standard "luxury" suspension. If you Install lowering springs it will firm up. You've probably driven loaners with the sport suspension.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
C300

OMG!! I thought I was going crazy and couldn’t drive anymore. Everywhere I take it they say the same thing. Everything is good!!! No it’s NOT!!! Has anyone found a resolution to the body roll or side to side?
Old 03-13-2024, 09:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
I traded mine for an Audi A4, problem solved. I've had one of each W203, W204, and W205 and they progressively went downhill in build quality so I bailed on Mercedes. That 2018 C300 had so many issues, the transmission was clunky as hell and even after valve body replacement and several software updates it was always the same, the suspension was absolute garbage, Mercedes replaced the brakes and rotors THREE times in the 20,000 miles I had the lease because they wouldn't stop squeaking, too many electronic quirks to put up with, etc. There really are better cars now that Mercedes is no longer "The Best or Nothing".