C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

ASSYST PLUS Service Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
C300
ASSYST PLUS Service Question

So my car is telling me I need Service B7

According to my records, from when my last service was done this is appearing 5,000 kms and/or 6 months early.

Is it possible the mechanic who did my last service changed the interval from 20,000 kms to 15,000 kms?

When I go into the hidden menu it shows me this as needed:
Service 02
Service 03
Service 20

Is there anywhere that tells me specifically what these things are?

If I reset this, will it automatically move on to the A8 service?

I dont want to drive my car around for 5,000 kms with it reminding me that my service is due or overdue, when its not.

Last edited by charmz; 07-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not sure exactly what the intervals are in Canada, but service is time and mileage based. It's usually 1 year or 10k miles here in the USA, whichever comes first. The car will bring up the service reminder either after 12 months have passed or 10k miles have been driven since the last service. How long has it been since your last service? Yes, if you reset it will assume the service was performed.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM

C300
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not sure exactly what the intervals are in Canada, but service is time and mileage based. It's usually 1 year or 10k miles here in the USA, whichever comes first. The car will bring up the service reminder either after 12 months have passed or 10k miles have been driven since the last service. How long has it been since your last service? Yes, if you reset it will assume the service was performed.
Yes, I understand how maintenance works.

In Canada they are 20,000 km intervals. (12,500 miles)

Its only been 15,000 kms (9,300 miles) since my last service. Is this something that can be changed in the settings? Can the service interval be manually switched?

Also, Is there somewhere online that shows me what those service codes mean?

Last edited by charmz; 07-01-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by charmz
Yes, I understand how maintenance works.

In Canada they are 20,000 km intervals. (12,500 miles)

Its only been 15,000 kms (9,300 miles) since my last service. Is this something that can be changed in the settings? Can the service interval be manually switched?

Also, Is there somewhere online that shows me what those service codes mean?
You are still leaving out how many months it's been since your last service. I'm pretty sure in Canada the service interval is 20,000km or 1 year. The kilometers are irrelevant if it's been 12 months since your last service. You are still due for service even if you haven't driven the full 20,000 kms in the last 12 months. Oil degrades over time and needs to be changed at least once a year. Generally, ASSYST PLUS reminds you when it thinks the service is due. It's a flexible system. The 20,000 kms is just a guideline.

I'm not aware of a list that shows the service codes. I'm pretty sure the service intervals can be changed, but not positive for Mercedes. I had my service intervals at shorter intervals on my last Audi, because I wanted to change the oil every 5k miles. Audi also had two interval reminders. One for oil change and one for inspection. They had to be reset independently, and the inspection reminder could only be reset by the dealership. Not sure if MB internally has two reminders as well.

So, what I'm still curious about is how many months has it been since your last service. If it's been less than 12 months, then you might wanna check with your dealership and see if they didn't correctly reset the service reminder last time, but if it's been 12 months, then you are due for service.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM

C300
You are still leaving out how many months it's been since your last service. I'm pretty sure in Canada the service interval is 20,000km or 1 year. The kilometers are irrelevant if it's been 12 months since your last service. You are still due for service even if you haven't driven the full 20,000 kms in the last 12 months. Oil degrades over time and needs to be changed at least once a year. Generally, ASSYST PLUS reminds you when it thinks the service is due. It's a flexible system. The 20,000 kms is just a guideline.

I'm not aware of a list that shows the service codes. I'm pretty sure the service intervals can be changed, but not positive for Mercedes. I had my service intervals at shorter intervals on my last Audi, because I wanted to change the oil every 5k miles. Audi also had two interval reminders. One for oil change and one for inspection. They had to be reset independently, and the inspection reminder could only be reset by the dealership. Not sure if MB internally has two reminders as well.

So, what I'm still curious about is how many months has it been since your last service. If it's been less than 12 months, then you might wanna check with your dealership and see if they didn't correctly reset the service reminder last time, but if it's been 12 months, then you are due for service.
Its been 6 months. If it has been 12 months then id obviously know why i am getting the message.

The maintenance is done at a private shop using oem parts i buy and bring there, rather then going to the dealer to get raped.

My old audi could be manually changed via vagcom for service intervals...
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Its been 6 months. If it has been 12 months then id obviously know why i am getting the message.

The maintenance is done at a private shop using oem parts i buy and bring there, rather then going to the dealer to get raped.

My old audi could be manually changed via vagcom for service intervals...
I see. Unfortunately, there isn't something equivalent to vagcom, OBDEleven etc. for MB. You need the OEM Star Diagnostics system, which is very expensive and usually only dealerships have it. My guess is your private shop just doesn't have the ability to properly reset the service reminder unless they have Star Diagnostics.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:31 PM

C300
I see. Unfortunately, there isn't something equivalent to vagcom, OBDEleven etc. for MB. You need the OEM Star Diagnostics system, which is very expensive and usually only dealerships have it. My guess is your private shop just doesn't have the ability to properly reset the service reminder unless they have Star Diagnostics.
He was able to show me all the faults when doing my last service and his personal vehicle is a Mercedes, so its a pretty good chance he has the correct tool.

I am surprised there is no where in the manual or online that can tell me what these specific service codes the car is calling for are....
Old 07-01-2020, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
He was able to show me all the faults when doing my last service and his personal vehicle is a Mercedes, so its a pretty good chance he has the correct tool.

I am surprised there is no where in the manual or online that can tell me what these specific service codes the car is calling for are....
Nah, I highly doubt that a private shop has Star Diagnostics, unless they are highly specialized in servicing Mercedes-Benz cars and it's worth for them to spend the money on the tools. Any OBD2 reader can read out the faults and even decode manufacturer specific error codes, or they can be found in the service manuals. It's a standardized protocol. You don't need Star Diagnostics to read and decode the fault codes, but Star Diagnostics is needed for coding changes, and applying software updates etc. Your service codes can probably be found in the service manuals as well. You can ask your guy if he even has the service manuals.

Look, in my experience it's not worth servicing these cars on the cheap. Sooner or later it costs you more in headaches like this alone. Labor rates for a good indy shop at least in my area are not any cheaper than dealerships. There's tons of competition around here even among other MB dealerships. I do the regular maintenance at the dealerships at least during the warranty period for several reason. Private shops don't have access to the software updates etc., so by having the cars serviced by Mercedes, I get it checked for updates, campaigns, recalls and building a service history with Mercedes, so that when a warranty issue comes up they have nobody to point fingers. Everything is documented in their systems and because of the relationship I have built with the dealerships, they are willing to go to battle in order to get issues resolved. I've received thousands of dollars in goodwill repairs out of warranty on my cars, because of these relationships. For example with my last 2013 Audi RS5 I had a transmission sensor fail outside of a warranty. It's a $100 part or so, but required to drop the entire transmission, take it apart, replace the sensor and put it back together. A $6000 job after all is said and done. My Audi dealership went to battle, got Audi to drop the price to $5000 and then do a 50% goodwill on it, so my final bill was $2500 instead of $6000. I could list several other examples from over the years. Saving a couple of $100 on service work does not pay off in the long run. I've learned this lesson a long time ago. I do have my indy shop do work on my cars such as wear and tear items, brakes and tires etc. I often actually source my own aftermarket parts and have the indy shop install them instead of paying OEM pricing for OEM parts that are often not even as good as cheaper aftermarket parts.

I hope you get your issue resolved, but ask yourself afterwards how much time you had to spend on this issue and how much your own time is worth to you. More often than not, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-01-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:02 PM

C300
I found this, I dont know how accurate it is though.
My car is not due for transmission fluid change until 120,000 kms or 2021 according to the service manual.
  • Service 1: Minor basic service (Service A)
  • Service 2: Major basic service (Service B)
  • Service 3: Engine oil + filter
  • Service 4: Brake fluid
  • Service 5: Combination filter
  • Service 6: Dust filter (included in Service B)
  • Service 7: Activated charcoal filter
  • Service 8: Air filter
  • Service 9: Tilting/Sliding roof
  • Service 10: Panoramic sliding roof
  • Service 11: fuel filter
  • Service 12: spark plugs
  • Service 13: coolant
  • Service 14: main coolant circuit
  • Service 15: trailer hitch
  • Service 16: parking brake
  • Service 17: emergency call system
  • Service 18: brake algorithm