C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Test Drove a 2016 C450 AMG, is it the car for me??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
I'm still waiting for Carvana to post the photos. I bet there's a title issue because it had a lien on it from the last owner.

One more thing I'm a little worried about is I would be the 4th owner of this 2016 model. I saw that on the Carfax report, the previous owners had the steering and brakes checked at 6k, 26k, 35k, 36k and 37k...? Seems like a lot of visits to be checking the same items. Sometimes the electrical system was also checked.

Any reason to be concerned about that? Whatever I the problem is I hope it manifests itself in the 7 day return period. I haven't read any problems with brakes or steering on the W205s.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by DrivingForce
I hear where you're coming from. The C400 appears to be a very rare car as I haven't seen hardly any examples in my search. There's one local example that has an accident history and even so it's still listed at $23k.

The "AMG" badging or branding is of no importance to me. However, it does seem like there is a significant increase in power and also a more rear-biased AWD system in the C450 (even more so with the C43). I really wanted a RWD car but I can live with a fixed bias AWD system that is predictable. I hate those type of part-time AWD systems that only activate the front wheels when it detects slippage.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time to search for a car since basically I don't have a car now because it's been totaled. This is probably my best chance to get a decent C450/C43 in the time I have within my budget.
Carnax has one, and Carvana is about to cuz I just sold them mine
Old 08-02-2020, 01:32 PM

C400
I'm still waiting for Carvana to post the photos. I bet there's a title issue because it had a lien on it from the last owner.

One more thing I'm a little worried about is I would be the 4th owner of this 2016 model. I saw that on the Carfax report, the previous owners had the steering and brakes checked at 6k, 26k, 35k, 36k and 37k...? Seems like a lot of visits to be checking the same items. Sometimes the electrical system was also checked.

Any reason to be concerned about that? Whatever I the problem is I hope it manifests itself in the 7 day return period. I haven't read any problems with brakes or steering on the W205s.
Just sold, but have not yet delivered, my C400 to Carvana. They do checks on Autocheck, but then they just pretty much take your word for it. But they also recondition the cars because they have a return policy so its gotta be good.

As for the brake checks, that seems like the annual brake service (though not necessary), and then maybe the new pads were squeaky because the performance OEM pads have a tendency to screech when cold for the first few stops. I would not worry about it. Plus they're just regular Brembos, not expensive, not complicated.
The following users liked this post:
DrivingForce (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:49 PM

Thanks! I have sold Carvana two cars and it was a great process and I got more than I probably could've by selling the cars myself. Never have nicked and dimed me for any wear.

I figured it was noisy brakes. I noticed that the brakes on the one I test drove were a little noisy but they seemed like high performance pads so I didn't care.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by GringoBling
Just sold, but have not yet delivered, my C400 to Carvana. They do checks on Autocheck, but then they just pretty much take your word for it. But they also recondition the cars because they have a return policy so its gotta be good.

As for the brake checks, that seems like the annual brake service (though not necessary), and then maybe the new pads were squeaky because the performance OEM pads have a tendency to screech when cold for the first few stops. I would not worry about it. Plus they're just regular Brembos, not expensive, not complicated.
what did you get/are you getting in place of the C400?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 PM

C400
Originally Posted by bzammitt
what did you get/are you getting in place of the C400?
Maserati GT
DrivingForce (08-02-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:28 AM

I'm still waiting for Carvana to post photos of the car after nearly two weeks of waiting. Then today I get an automated email that the car is delayed. No s***! Having called Carvana four or five times since I started the whole process it's pretty clear that their customer service people don't have the ability to tell me what the status of the car is. Yesterday I was told that the car is undergoing detailing and then a final QC inspection, but that it should all be done very shortly.

Today the car also dropped from their inventory so I'm a little confused about what's going on. I'm not in a super rush to get a car but this one appears to have all the options and color combo that I want and I doubt I will find another from an online dealer.

Last edited by DrivingForce; 08-05-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by GringoBling

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1486390
Is this your old car?
Old 08-05-2020, 02:02 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
Price is SUPER high. I paid $23,500 for mine (mine has pano roof) with 46k miles on it, last year.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM

C400
Originally Posted by bzammitt
Price is SUPER high. I paid $23,500 for mine (mine has pano roof) with 46k miles on it, last year.
no
Old 08-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Still waiting on the photos, but I've been pondering getting the extended warranty on the car after reading more about the horrible pano roof problems. It seems pointless to have a pano roof and not use it out of fear. Also it appears that the ONLY solution to the pano roof problems is to replace both sunroof guides, which can only be removed by dropping the headliner ($$$$$$) and is a very finnicky repair that cannot be done DIY. I notice the limited extended warranty Carvana offer specifically calls out sunroof guides and sunroof cables as a covered component, so I think the extended warranty would give me peace of mind.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Another quick question on the C450 vs the C43. Does the C450 have all those cool apps on the center screen with all the boost pressures and such? Also do any of them have a shift light when you're in full manual mode?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Any idea how hard it is to remove a Presser Tech tune and go back to stock? Also how hard is it to remove those stick on colored rings around the HVAC vents? Finally what does it take to repaint the bottom front splitter? This car the splitter is painted silver but it's supposed to be black.

Last edited by DrivingForce; 08-12-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 AM

I signed all the contracts and am expecting delivery in a week and a half or so! After looking at the photos more carefully the car seems like a relatively clean example. Just needs some cheesy bits removed and I need to make sure everything is running OK if it has a tune or mods.

I really hope it's easy to remove those red stick on rings and the big emblem on the aluminum strip. Any tips to do that?

drjohn08318 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 AM

2015 Mercedes C400
Very surprised you bought somebody else’s modified and tuned car! Especially since it isn’t a well known tune. Still looks nice and I hope you don’t have any problems with it!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 AM

Thanks! I'm going to take it for a dealer PPI when it gets here. I'm hoping the modifications are only to the ECU and nothing else. If it's just an ECU tune can the dealer return it to stock?

Also I do have a 7 day return so if it turns out to be junk I can return it. I also bought an exclusionary 4 year extended warranty, mostly for the pano roof issues.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:24 PM

C400
Any idea how hard it is to remove a Presser Tech tune and go back to stock? Also how hard is it to remove those stick on colored rings around the HVAC vents? Finally what does it take to repaint the bottom front splitter? This car the splitter is painted silver but it's supposed to be black.
...I wouldn't... usually a tune supports custom hardware mods, and if you un-tune it, they car will have major problems.

What all do you know about the car and mods? Just a fair warning this could turn into an absolute nightmare. MB is not going to warranty any mod related failures.
DrivingForce (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:39 PM

I don't know anything about the mods. The only reason I suspected mods was because of the Pressertech badge on the dash. I called Pressertech, and they told me they don't track mods by VIN, only by customer name. But he said it was most likely a "Stage 2 tune", if it even still has it, which to me implies it might be easy to undo. I have no idea what Stage 2 tune means, I suppose I could ask. I didn't realize it's possible that there are hardware upgrades that makes the car rely on the tune to run properly.

My plan was to get the car, and see how it runs. If I can get the dealership to take the risk of un-tuning the car and the repercussions of that, then I won't return it.

I really appreciate your thoughts. You're the second one in this thread who has basically had the same feedback. You're making me think I should just cancel this and re-evaluate because it will just a be a complete waste of time, and in the meantime they will be holding on to $36k of my cash.

There is another C450 (this time a CPO) from a dealership 2.5 hours away from here that appears to be completely stock. It has the same options, except no Night Package and it's black instead of white. For the same price out the door, I basically get just 1 year of extended warranty (Mercedes CPO) instead of 4 years (aftermarket extended warranty).
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
I don't know anything about the mods. The only reason I suspected mods was because of the Pressertech badge on the dash. I called Pressertech, and they told me they don't track mods by VIN, only by customer name. But he said it was most likely a "Stage 2 tune", if it even still has it, which to me implies it might be easy to undo. I have no idea what Stage 2 tune means, I suppose I could ask. I didn't realize it's possible that there are hardware upgrades that makes the car rely on the tune to run properly.

My plan was to get the car, and see how it runs. If I can get the dealership to take the risk of un-tuning the car and the repercussions of that, then I won't return it.

I really appreciate your thoughts. You're the second one in this thread who has basically had the same feedback. You're making me think I should just cancel this and re-evaluate because it will just a be a complete waste of time, and in the meantime they will be holding on to $36k of my cash.

There is another C450 (this time a CPO) from a dealership 2.5 hours away from here that appears to be completely stock. It has the same options, except no Night Package and it's black instead of white. For the same price out the door, I basically get just 1 year of extended warranty (Mercedes CPO) instead of 4 years (aftermarket extended warranty).
I assume you’ve browsed Autotrader or CarGurus? I feel like there’s quite a few C450’s in your price range with good mileage.

CPO with no pano roof if you’re worried about it breaking:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/272328638

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/278120252

less miles:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/277818532
DrivingForce (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 09:11 PM

I have been monitoring what's available regularly (Autolist, Cars.com, Cargurus, Ebay, Vroom and Carvana). I think the problem is I really want a car with Distronic if I'm going to keep the car long term. My commute is all on the highway so I would use it all the time. And when Covid ends and traffic picks back up it will be nice with the stop-and-go driving.

BTW the $36k is OTD, including all taxes and fees. And that's really on the high end of my budget. I'd rather be spending closer to $31-32k OTD, especially if I'm not getting a warranty. To get Distronic in that price range seems to typically mean that the car has an accident history.

The other trick is because of Covid, I'm not willing to fly anywhere to see a car and drive it back. So any car I see generally needs to be within a 2 to 3 hour radius of here.

I ended up canceling my Carvana order. Now I'm back to square one.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:10 PM

C400
I have been monitoring what's available regularly (Autolist, Cars.com, Cargurus, Ebay, Vroom and Carvana). I think the problem is I really want a car with Distronic if I'm going to keep the car long term. My commute is all on the highway so I would use it all the time. And when Covid ends and traffic picks back up it will be nice with the stop-and-go driving.

BTW the $36k is OTD, including all taxes and fees. And that's really on the high end of my budget. I'd rather be spending closer to $31-32k OTD, especially if I'm not getting a warranty. To get Distronic in that price range seems to typically mean that the car has an accident history.

The other trick is because of Covid, I'm not willing to fly anywhere to see a car and drive it back. So any car I see generally needs to be within a 2 to 3 hour radius of here.

I ended up canceling my Carvana order. Now I'm back to square one.
eh, fly Delta, they're doing great. I flew them to get my new car, and to drop off the old one back. But only Delta actually has their **** together, so good that I paid extra to fly with them.

As far as the car goes, if you're going to buy that one, DONT MESS WITH IT. Just leave it tuned.
DrivingForce (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Would you guys be willing to buy a CPO Mercedes sight unseen at a Mercedes dealer and have it shipped to you? Even if you are unable to return it from thousands of miles away?
drjohn08318 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Some CPO have better warranty then new car. I seen some places include 6 year all inclusive warranty. That's insane compared to 3 to 4 year bumper to bumper new car warranty.

Make sure CPO warranty or extended warranty can be used at all MB dealers and it's truly inclusive not just engine or transmission or some idiotic 3rd party warranty where you have to summit to warrantyRus to get reimbursed later and that's a big if.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:52 PM

Yeah, I guess I'm talking about the cars with an actual Mercedes Benz CPO warranty. It seems like these only come with 1 year extended warranty, but I thought I read it can be extended to 2 years. Keep in mind most 2016 C450s I've been looking at have expired factory warranties already.

But what about buying the car sight unseen? Is looking at the CARFAX, the photos and the fact that it's a CPO car enough to be fairly certain that you're getting a good car?
Old 08-16-2020, 03:52 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
Yeah, I guess I'm talking about the cars with an actual Mercedes Benz CPO warranty. It seems like these only come with 1 year extended warranty, but I thought I read it can be extended to 2 years. Keep in mind most 2016 C450s I've been looking at have expired factory warranties already.

But what about buying the car sight unseen? Is looking at the CARFAX, the photos and the fact that it's a CPO car enough to be fairly certain that you're getting a good car?
I’d absolutely buy a CPO car with a clean CarFax and solid photos sight unseen. I live in Michigan and bought my C400 (non-CPO) in North Carolina, bought a one way ticket and drove it back. With a car this new, a warranty, solid photos, and stock condition, you can be fairly certain it’s a solid car in its entirety.
DrivingForce (08-16-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 2016 C450 AMG, is it the car for me??