C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

SCN Coding for Ambient Light Menu in TX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 04:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300 (W205), 2020 GLC300W
SCN Coding for Ambient Light Menu in TX

Hi Guys

So I have been trying to get Ambient Lights installed on my 2016 W205 to no avail. Since starting this journey, I've learned quite a bit about how MB works.

The most important thing I've learned is that if I had the Audio20 head unit setup, it would possible to do the coding through one of these OBD's from China but unfortunately for those of us with the Command System, this method no longer works and the menu must be coded into the head unit by SCN coding. I see a bunch of MBStar clones on ALI but I am really trying to avoid going down this road due to the time I will have to spend learning how to use it. That said, I was curious if anyone with this knowledge happens to be in the TX area and might be willing to help me unlock the Ambient Light menu? Of course, I would be willing to pay for your time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Following! Let me know if you find anything.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Isaiah White
Hi Guys

So I have been trying to get Ambient Lights installed on my 2016 W205 to no avail. Since starting this journey, I've learned quite a bit about how MB works.

The most important thing I've learned is that if I had the Audio20 head unit setup, it would possible to do the coding through one of these OBD's from China but unfortunately for those of us with the Command System, this method no longer works and the menu must be coded into the head unit by SCN coding. I see a bunch of MBStar clones on ALI but I am really trying to avoid going down this road due to the time I will have to spend learning how to use it. That said, I was curious if anyone with this knowledge happens to be in the TX area and might be willing to help me unlock the Ambient Light menu? Of course, I would be willing to pay for your time.

Thanks in advance.
Talk to an ambient light seller on Aliexpress, They can unlock anything. Plus, some have ambient light setups for your exact situation. Even kits that provide more than 3 colors.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Hey @Isaiah, I've actually been looking at getting the Ambient Lighting Kit from DMP Car Designs. Only problem is that you wont be able to change colors/brightness via the scroll wheel or Comand Screen. You have to use the steering wheel buttons to do that stuff. It's one of the mods I'm looking into doing as well since my car didnt come with Ambient Lighting. Look into it and let me know what you think about it.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by benzdude
Talk to an ambient light seller on Aliexpress, They can unlock anything. Plus, some have ambient light setups for your exact situation. Even kits that provide more than 3 colors.
Thanks for the replay m8

I have 64 colors installed and it works but the problem is the menu does not appear, so it's stuck on a single color. I have tried ALI and the sellers always respond with "You will need to find an engineer to do the coding" and then its radio silence. From my understanding, the china kits will only work on a Audio20 HU, people with command are out of luck without SCN coding.

That said, I'm no expert, so if you have a reference you'd like to share, I will definitely get in touch with him/her!

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Hey @Isaiah, I've actually been looking at getting the Ambient Lighting Kit from DMP Car Designs. The only problem is that you won't be able to change colors/brightness via the scroll wheel or Comand Screen. You have to use the steering wheel buttons to do that stuff. It's one of the mods I'm looking into doing as well since my car didnt come with Ambient Lighting. Look into it and let me know what you think about it.

Yeah, I saw that one , Flexx on YT did a video about it. I am not sure I could live with controlling the lights from the steering wheel but if all else fails, this will definitely be my fail-safe.

Thanks for the tip
Old 07-16-2020, 10:59 PM

Good news, I think!

I just got back from Houston and met a guy who has a mbstar and a contact in Germany who does coding. He says he can do it but we ran out of time today so I have to drive back to H-town tomorrow (AGAIN). For those interested, I will provide an update and contact information depending on how tomorrow's visit goes.

Fingers crossed, thanks again everyone for the help!
Old 07-17-2020, 11:07 AM

2016 C300 4Matic
Hoping there is a way to get this done via OTA or something in that nature.. I'm located in Chicago lol

@Isaiah, where did you get your 64 Color lighting kit from?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:28 AM

So the coding semi-worked, I am able to access the 3 color factory menu but the problem is I have 64 lights. I did notice the if I continually roll the command knob, the color spectrum will cycle, despite what's shown on the screen. ATM, I am happy but will probabbly try to get the actually 64 color screen added t some point. Also, it is possible to do OTA Coding, as long as you are connected to a C4. Anyone interested can contact Marvin at Renn Motors.
https://www.benzshops.com/texas/renn-motors-houston-tx

Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Hoping there is a way to get this done via OTA or something in that nature.. I'm located in Chicago lol

@Isaiah, where did you get your 64 Color lighting kit from?
It's just a random 64 color kit off eBay, I will say, the CKM kits look much higher quality, I'll probably end up replacing this with on of those.
The following users liked this post:
Kush Desai (07-20-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:36 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
@Isaiah Could you link the 2 kits? The current one you're using and the CKM one you're looking into. Please and thank you!