C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Thinking ahead to winter...studless winter tires on ice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 C300 Cab 4Matic
Thinking ahead to winter...studless winter tires on ice?

Yeah I know it's August but the winter tire sales happen over Labor Day weekend. I've narrowed down choices for studless winter tires for my c300 Cab; Bridgestone Blizzaks with the embedded bits, Nokian Hakkas, or Michelin X-Ice. I have AWD, so almost any winter tire will do well in snow; but my concern, first and foremost, is ice. I need to get up my often icy street on a north-facing hill and my steep (15-20% grade) ICY driveway, and to move off smartly when turning left across a busy 50 mph road with packed snow;. I've read and watched a ton of tire tests and reviews and they all ignore seem to ignore real world traction on steep icy or snow packed grades. I live among hills and mtns not on a dead-level frozen lake or hockey rink. Any real world experience with the mentioned tires on ice would be appreciated. My fall-back choice is Nokian Hakkas with studs. but they much more expensive.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300 Wagon
Nokian Hakkas with studs are amazing.
They would be my first choice also.
​​​​​​If your driving on ice, guess I would pay the extra for the hakkas.