C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

DRIVERSIDE GRINDING NOISE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
DRIVERSIDE GRINDING NOISE

Hey all,

Recently, when my car is cold and starts driving, I will hear a grinding kind of should which resonates through the steering and cabin of the car. It's more of a grinding rumbling sound. I know it's not a stone in the brakes as that is more like high pit sound. I though it was my power steering however that seems to be working good and no errors. I did the wheel jiggle to see if it's control arm or bearing problem. What I am left with is the MB wheel bearing hub, which doesn't really move even when they are on their way out. What I don't want to do is buy a hub bearing and that is not the problem.

Anyone had this issue?

Last edited by Cosworth2000; 10-28-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:39 AM

Update: So i bit the bullet and changed out my wheel bearing. Well, that did not solve the problem meaning the wheel bearing is not the issue. I'm thinking now that since Mercedes did a recall on my steering that this maybe the problem I'm having now. I know there was a recall on a pin in the steering which could brake and cause you to loose control. The other was the steering could lock up but not give you access to the override feature which is the manual steering. The weird thing is that there are no codes, the car drives like there is no problem except for the sound that seems to go away the longer I drive but is also showing up more often.

Any help?
Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 PM

So changing the bearing did not solve the problem so I took my car to the Mercedes dealership and I was surprised by the response. My car has about 90,000KM on it and they are telling me that I need to change my front end. The full left, center and right axle shaft have play and the center bearing is making all the noise. My only question I have here is why do I have to change the axles if they are not clicking but the play maybe from a defective center shaft???

I'm waiting to see what I should do next. I was looking up the parts and they are pricing and less pricing in the States however with Covid-19 there is no good way to get them to my home here in Ontario. Mercedes quoted me $4200 to repair the car and I'm surprised that the axles shafts are giving a problem with only 90K on them. This is not my first car but my 2nd car I have bought new and now I will never purchase a first run car from a luxury brand again. May car has had many issues and CAMVAP was no help at the time because as long as the dealership repairs and repairs and repairs, they see the dealership working to resolve the problem, even on a Lemon vehicle. I refinanced this vehicle because I didn't want to sell it and pass the problems on but instead see if this car could actually drive without any problems like my old Benz.