C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Please help...Oil Leak from oil filter housing 17 C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2020 | 02:19 AM

C300 4matic 2017
Please help...Oil Leak from oil filter housing 17 C300

Ok. So epic fail on my part trying to change the oil. My cap presented me with a severe problem that I just made 10x worse. After trying everything to get the cap off to get to the filter and it NOT budging it then ended up destroying it to get it out. I literally had to break it into pieces and in the process I damaged the threads in the housing where the cap screws into. I tried three sealer to see if that worked and it’s a no-go, still leaks. So I am thinking I need to replace the entire housing (please correct me if I am wrong). And am coming up blank on any kind of how to’s online for this project. I am trying to keep the cost down as my partner just lost job and funds are super tight but i HAVE to have a running car. Any help or suggestions, anything would be appreciated. Thanks
A
Old 11-27-2020 | 06:19 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic (M276)
Hello tatsturtle, can we see pictures? I know I want to see. When I read your title I thought the oil filter housing gasket was leaking oil like it did way back on my BMW E93 haha. Don't think this car will have that problem so early. Anyways!

Changing the oil is usually a very straight forward process. I usually do it after a drive, get it to operating temperature, and then let the car cool off for 30 minutes. Maybe this helps the plastic cap loosen up easier? I don't know. If the cap was tight (from previous owner/dealer) I would have first used a breaker bar to help get it loose. I've tightened it snug always from my past 4 oil changes.
So the old oil filter cap is for sure destroyed based on your story... here's the part number 270-180-04-00. #13 on diagram. I see as low as $39 or regular price $52 for one.

If you stripped the metal threads inside #2 while destroying the plastic housing cap and it's not keeping a good seal anymore sorry man, looks like #3 might have to be replaced. That's as low as $390 and regular $520. Plus you got to deal with the vibration damper that looks like it rolls around with the serpentine belt.
Old 11-27-2020 | 08:29 PM

C300 4matic 2017
Originally Posted by draemux
Hello tatsturtle, can we see pictures? I know I want to see. When I read your title I thought the oil filter housing gasket was leaking oil like it did way back on my BMW E93 haha. Don't think this car will have that problem so early. Anyways!

Changing the oil is usually a very straight forward process. I usually do it after a drive, get it to operating temperature, and then let the car cool off for 30 minutes. Maybe this helps the plastic cap loosen up easier? I don't know. If the cap was tight (from previous owner/dealer) I would have first used a breaker bar to help get it loose. I've tightened it snug always from my past 4 oil changes.
So the old oil filter cap is for sure destroyed based on your story... here's the part number 270-180-04-00. #13 on diagram. I see as low as $39 or regular price $52 for one.

If you stripped the metal threads inside #2 while destroying the plastic housing cap and it's not keeping a good seal anymore sorry man, looks like #3 might have to be replaced. That's as low as $390 and regular $520. Plus you got to deal with the vibration damper that looks like it rolls around with the serpentine belt.
so I do not have any pics at this moment. I am trying one last ditch effort. Let me back up and explain. Once I got in the new cap and assembly I installed the new filter, the o rings came already in place and put it together, tightened it down, crossed my fingers and started the car. I let it run for about 15 minutes and all appeared well. No visible leaks anywhere. So I had a friend rev the engine and run the rpms up a bit. Within five minutes, I had a nice flow coming out from under the cap where the threads are bent. So I shut off the car and decided to try some thread sealant. So I applied that as directed and waited the allotted time and started it up. Let it run about 20 min and this time there was no river or even a trickle of oil. There was one drop. One drop without having stepped on the gas at all. So I picked some of my guy friends brains and asked about a gasket. I was told by several people including the guys at the auto store that a gasket around the cap would work, it would seal it so no liquids leak out. Perfect!! My partner lost her job a month ago and anything I can do to avoid hundreds of dollars on a part I am all for. So about 15 minutes ago I put on the gasket stuff and put the cap back on hand tight. In 45 min I will be tightening the cap down all the way and waiting 24 hours for the seal to cure. And that is where I am at now. I am crossing my fingers that this works until I a in a two income household again and can afford to replace the part.
FYI...the threads that are bent are in the metal part that the cap screws directly into. So the thread sealant is on the threads of the cap.

Last edited by tatsturtle; 11-27-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add on comment