C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Not able to change ambient light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C300 sedan
Not able to change ambient light

I had an ambient light kit from DMP Design installed today: https://www.dmpcardes********/interi...t-outlet-turbo

It included the center console, front and rear ac vents, door trim, and rear seat trim. I ordered it for a 2017 C300.

However, I'm unable to change the colors or brightness with the steering wheel buttons like shown here at the 19 mintute mark:

Any ideas? Waiting on DMP to message back on it.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by 2017C300
I had an ambient light kit from DMP Design installed today: https://www.dmpcardes********/interi...t-outlet-turbo

It included the center console, front and rear ac vents, door trim, and rear seat trim. I ordered it for a 2017 C300.

However, I'm unable to change the colors or brightness with the steering wheel buttons like shown here at the 19 mintute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHI...35VvmDKf1BPmBF

Any ideas? Waiting on DMP to message back on it.
did you get it with OBD or did your car already have ambient light?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
16 C300 W205
Change colors -

Hey brother, I just installed the same kit. Question, when did you order your kit? I ask because DMP is mailing out a new kit that enables one to change the color and Brightness utilizing the mirror control buttons. In the new kit, the OBD Powers up the center console and footwell lights. If you received the old kit- Dmp will send you new harness. Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
How would you be able to control the lights via Mirror Control Buttons? I have the kit and installed it with no issues at all but I use the steering wheel buttons to change colors/brightness.

@OP Contact DMP for possibly a new OBD Module. I know your issue is different but when I got everything contacted and disconnected my Negative Battery Terminal for a different reason, the Ambient Lighting stopped working. I contacted DMP and they were aware of the issue and said that they would send me a new module that will fix that issue and still work if I disconnected the Negative terminal again.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 PM

16 C300 W205
DMP’s current kit is designed to enable users to activate the ambient lighting by utilizing the up & down (change colors) left & right (brightness) buttons on the mirror control panel. The main harness in this case is not the OBD PLUG but what you see circled in the attached photo. I installed this door first as per DMP instructions. Everything works beautifully and I’ve since ordered additional parts to add to my kit.

Kit installed 🙌

Circled in red is DMP’s new main harness that attached to the drivers side door mirror control panel.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:24 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
So in your case, do you still use the ODB Plug/Module? I ask because I see it in your picture so I assume you still have to have it plugged in to give it power.

My kit that I installed via DMP looks identical to your kit though I believe all my door wiring had that White connector tip to plug into the existing port. I however haven't tried the Mirror buttons to see if they do anything (Change colors/brightness), but I doubt mine would work if its not the correct wiring.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:32 PM

16 C300 W205
My kit still includes the OBD which powers up the center console and the footwell lights. If your kit looks different than mine you most likely have the older kit which would work with the steering wheel controls. Have you installed your kit yet ?
Old 12-01-2020, 01:45 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Yes sir! Installed and running perfectly! But I will add that they advertise the kit as 64 Colors but I've basically seen maybe 6-8 colors. Not really complaining just because I keep my color at Blue but they should really fix that.

I will also add for whoever is watching Flexx's video to install it themselves, to properly install the OBD Module, you can pull down the bottom panel of the Driver Seat, remove the OEM OBD, replace it with the DMP OBD and lock it in place, then connect the OEM OBD to the other end of the DMP OBD Connector.
This method will give you a proper clean look rather than having the DMP OBD connector dangling by your feet potentially causing you to kick it and breaking the connector.
The following users liked this post:
Cilo C Class (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:20 PM

16 C300 W205
Good for you. It's a great kit and thanks for the OBD idea. I might just have to do that myself.
Kush Desai (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:52 PM

16 C300 W205
Kush D. could you take a photo of the underside of your steering wheel ? (OBD connection) I'm curious to see how your final product.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C300 sedan
Got an update everyone.
Cilo is on the money about this being the new kit controlled by the side mirror panel. FYI, I ordered the kit in November 2020 and car has no original ambient light feature.
So that's figured out. However, I'm still troubleshooting with DMP where I can't match up the same colors on the doors to everything else. Attached image of green doors with red interior.
Also is it possible to turn off all the lights? Turning brightness all the way down only turns off doors.
Attached Thumbnails Not able to change ambient light-20201129_213902.jpg  

Last edited by 2017C300; 12-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Here is the picture of what it looks like. Clearly, I didn't do a good job of securing the wires cause the OEM Footwell cable is dangling lol. But it looks super clean compared to how I had it before. Wish I had a before picture, but lets just say I zipped tied the DMP OBD cable to the plastic bottom while I had the other end connected to the Port.

I'd be interested to see how DMP would reply if i asked for the newer control method hmmmm..
Attached Thumbnails Not able to change ambient light-img_3720.jpg   Not able to change ambient light-img_3722.jpg-copy.jpg  
David King (05-07-2021)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 PM

16 C300 W205
2017c300-
I just checked if I could completely turn off the lights via mirror panel and yes, it's possible. Perhaps DMP can sort that and your light synchronization problem. If you reach out to DMP now you should get a quick response being that its normal business hours now in Malaysia. On another note, I recently ordered the vents and rear seat strips. Yours came out great. Well done !! I hope to receive my lights by next week. Wish me luck. Please feel free to update us regarding your lighting issues.

Last edited by Cilo C Class; 12-02-2020 at 06:55 AM.
David King (05-07-2021)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 PM

16 C300 W205
Kush D- wow. great Job. I'm definitely going to try this since right now I'm sporting the dangling pesty wires look lol

Last edited by Cilo C Class; 12-05-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Kush Desai (12-07-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:37 AM

16 C300 W205
Question lights to match

Originally Posted by 2017C300
Got an update everyone.
Cilo is on the money about this being the new kit controlled by the side mirror panel. FYI, I ordered the kit in November 2020 and car has no original ambient light feature.
So that's figured out. However, I'm still troubleshooting with DMP where I can't match up the same colors on the doors to everything else. Attached image of green doors with red interior.
Also is it possible to turn off all the lights? Turning brightness all the way down only turns off doors.
Did you ever get all your lights match up?
Old 12-14-2020, 08:29 AM

16 C300 W205
[QUOTE=Kush Desai;8215331]Here is the picture of what it looks like. Clearly, I didn't do a good job of securing the wires cause the OEM Footwell cable is dangling lol. But it looks super clean compared to how I had it before. Wish I had a before picture, but lets just say I zipped tied the DMP OBD cable to the plastic bottom while I had the other end connected to the Port

Update : Kush D - I took your mod advice and rewired my OBD as you indicated in your post. GENIUS!! It came out perfect. Thanks again 🙌
The following 2 users liked this post by Cilo C Class:
David King (05-07-2021), Kush Desai (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 C300 4MATIC
Congrats on the mod! Can't wait to do mine haha!
Cilo C Class (12-16-2020)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300 Sedan
Just completed this mod, it looks sweet! I'll post some tips since the kit has changed from the Flexx video and DMP didn't include instructions (they are quick to respond on whatsapp though).

1. Before you start, if you are considering changing/upgrading the door trim panel (to carbon fiber, wood, etc.) in the future, now would be the time to do it! The time involved in removing the door panels/clips and hot gluing the new strip in is not trivial.

2. The newer kit has a driver-side module with a 3-wire passthrough, this taps into the mirror switch. There's a good thread showing how it comes out, you do need some pry tools to protect the surrounding leather:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post7876418

You can identify the other modules (passenger vs rears) using google translate.

3. The panel wiring is straightforward, but box placement is a bit tricky especially on the driver panel. I ended up sticking it right between the plugs on the main wiring harness. You might want to test with cheap double-sided tape and make sure the panel sits right before using the good velcro ones included in the kit.

4. The console is straightforward, but the wiring to the foot panel lights is a little tricky. Keep as much of the wiring 'below' the plastic so when you slide the console back on it doesn't mash any of the wires/harnesses. Then use a long wire-tie to help fish the lights through the bottom of the console to the footwells.

5. For the footwell lights, you need to pull down the plastic panels to fish the light in from behind and hide all the wiring. On the driver side, it's just 2 torx20 screws. On the passenger side, its 1 screw and 2 clips that release with pressure. On the driver's side, while you have it down do the ODB swap. Remove the 2 torx screws and then the plug has a harness that slides sideways once you release the little side clips.

Overall I'd say it's a medium difficultly mod just based on the amount of time spent on the panels.

Last edited by jeboo; 01-03-2021 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeboo:
Cilo C Class (01-03-2021), David King (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 C300
How Many OBD Connectors/Modules Did DMP Send With Your Kit?

Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Yes sir! Installed and running perfectly! But I will add that they advertise the kit as 64 Colors but I've basically seen maybe 6-8 colors. Not really complaining just because I keep my color at Blue but they should really fix that.

I will also add for whoever is watching Flexx's video to install it themselves, to properly install the OBD Module, you can pull down the bottom panel of the Driver Seat, remove the OEM OBD, replace it with the DMP OBD and lock it in place, then connect the OEM OBD to the other end of the DMP OBD Connector.
This method will give you a proper clean look rather than having the DMP OBD connector dangling by your feet potentially causing you to kick it and breaking the connector.
How many OBD connectors/modules did DMP send with your kit? I purchased the basic kit (center console, doors, and bottom panels), with the front trim, air vents, and speaker covers. My install team is having problems installing it; they think I was sent a few OBD connectors/modules short.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:54 AM

'17 C300
Great instructions! How many OBD modules did your come with? And did your car already have illuminated lighting?
Old 05-07-2021, 02:08 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by David King
Great instructions! How many OBD modules did your come with? And did your car already have illuminated lighting?
You should have only 1 OBD module that gets connected to your OBD port.

But each door should have its own little black box, which I guess you can call it a module.

I only did the footwell, center and door lighting but for your front air vents, you should have additional connectors availble for you to connect those air vent lights to that main OBD Harness. You should take a look at Flexx's videos on youtube. He does a pretty good job explaining how everything gets connected and does a walk through on how to install everything.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 PM

'17 C300
You should have only 1 OBD module that gets connected to your OBD port.

But each door should have its own little black box, which I guess you can call it a module.

I only did the footwell, center and door lighting but for your front air vents, you should have additional connectors availble for you to connect those air vent lights to that main OBD Harness. You should take a look at Flexx's videos on youtube. He does a pretty good job explaining how everything gets connected and does a walk through on how to install everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHI...35VvmDKf1BPmBF
Ok, I did look at all of Flexx's video before I purchased the kit, he's how I found the kit. I purchased the basic kit with the front trim, air vents, and speaker covers. I sent Flexx's videos and the DMP product to a local shop and he said he could do it. Once they tried to install it, they said the driver side lights didn't work, and I was missing the main OBD main harness. I've contacted "Thomas" at DMP, and waiting on his response.

Thank you for the timely response, I will keep you updated!
Old 05-07-2021, 02:30 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Ok, I did look at all of Flexx's video before I purchased the kit, he's how I found the kit. I purchased the basic kit with the front trim, air vents, and speaker covers. I sent Flexx's videos and the DMP product to a local shop and he said he could do it. Once they tried to install it, they said the driver side lights didn't work, and I was missing the main OBD main harness. I've contacted "Thomas" at DMP, and waiting on his response.

Thank you for the timely response, I will keep you updated!
Do you have any pictures of what the contents of the package you got? Because I know that they updated their wiring where now the lights are controlled by using the mirror buttons instead of the steering wheel buttons. Do you know which kit you got? Mirror buttons or Steering Wheel buttons?
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 PM

'17 C300
Do you have any pictures of what the contents of the package you got? Because I know that they updated their wiring where now the lights are controlled by using the mirror buttons instead of the steering wheel buttons. Do you know which kit you got? Mirror buttons or Steering Wheel buttons?
I'm waiting on DMP's response. It's just about to hit business hours over in Indonesia so I'll see what they tell me. And then I'll upload pics of what I got.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300 Sedan
I'm waiting on DMP's response. It's just about to hit business hours over in Indonesia so I'll see what they tell me. And then I'll upload pics of what I got.
The newer kits using the mirror switch are causing a lot of confusion on Flexx's YT page. The issue appears to be the "brain" of the system is now the driver-door/mirror module, not the ODB module. Thus, if you try to test it like he does with the ODB module alone, nothing will light up (I learned this the hard way, thinking I had a bad kit as well). Start with the driver door, if that doesn't light up then it's possibly defective.

It's a great kit once you get it going. My only gripe is their ODB port had a different configuration (weird plastic tab in the middle) so I couldn't use it as a true passthrough. No big inconvenience though, simply unplug for reading codes or dealer visits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not able to change ambient light