C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

ripped off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C Class sedan
ripped off?

At the end of February 2020, I leased a 2019 C300W with 5787 miles on it. In November of 2000, when the car had 7755 miles on it, the 'Service B Due' indicator came on and became increasingly insistent. I'd had the car for less than a year and only put 2000 or so miles on it, so t didn't seem right that I would be responsible for several hundred dollars in service fees. Not sure if and when Service B was required under the terms of my lease (it wasn't clear in my paperwork), I took it to the dealership, met my service advisor, and, looking up at her from my wheelchair, said, "Do I really need this service after having the car for only 10 months and putting just 2000 miles on it? My wife and I both lost our jobs so money is really tight, so is this service really necessary?" My service advisor said, "If you don't get it done you'll be fined at the end of your lease, so it makes sense to get it done now. To help you out, I'll take out the cabin dust filter replacement, to save you some money." So, I authorized Service B. When I picked up the car she handed me an invoice that said, "Customer requests required 20,000 mile service." Looking at what the service included, it was brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, a dust filter, air in the tires, and an oil change. Total cost: $528 ($417 of it labor). Basically, it seemed like the same stuff I used to have done at the drive-thru oil change shops for about $40. I said to her, "Why did you tell me I needed a 2-year/20,000-mile service when I've had the car for less that 1 year and only put 2000 miles on it?" She danced around my questions and the more I pointed out how ludicrous it was, she said, "Take it up with corporate."

So, that's what I'm going to do. Before I do, though, I wanted to ask you all---did I get fleeced?? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by BargeCanal
At the end of February 2020, I leased a 2019 C300W with 5787 miles on it. In November of 2000, when the car had 7755 miles on it, the 'Service B Due' indicator came on and became increasingly insistent. I'd had the car for less than a year and only put 2000 or so miles on it, so t didn't seem right that I would be responsible for several hundred dollars in service fees. Not sure if and when Service B was required under the terms of my lease (it wasn't clear in my paperwork), I took it to the dealership, met my service advisor, and, looking up at her from my wheelchair, said, "Do I really need this service after having the car for only 10 months and putting just 2000 miles on it? My wife and I both lost our jobs so money is really tight, so is this service really necessary?" My service advisor said, "If you don't get it done you'll be fined at the end of your lease, so it makes sense to get it done now. To help you out, I'll take out the cabin dust filter replacement, to save you some money." So, I authorized Service B. When I picked up the car she handed me an invoice that said, "Customer requests required 20,000 mile service." Looking at what the service included, it was brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, a dust filter, air in the tires, and an oil change. Total cost: $528 ($417 of it labor). Basically, it seemed like the same stuff I used to have done at the drive-thru oil change shops for about $40. I said to her, "Why did you tell me I needed a 2-year/20,000-mile service when I've had the car for less that 1 year and only put 2000 miles on it?" She danced around my questions and the more I pointed out how ludicrous it was, she said, "Take it up with corporate."

So, that's what I'm going to do. Before I do, though, I wanted to ask you all---did I get fleeced?? Thanks.
Services are done every 12 months or 10K miles whichever comes first.
The following 2 users liked this post by GreekUPS:
Benzallo (01-19-2021), MDMOORE99 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BargeCanal

I'm guessing you meant 2020 in November? It does kind of stink to be in that situation, sorry you have to go through it. NOT to throw fuel on your campfire but why did you lease a Benz if money is tight? It does not sound like the SA is compassionate to your dilemma......I have not leased before, but you may just try going to one of the 40 dollar places you mentioned. But to your question: it does sort of sound like you were fleeced according to the information you've provided. GL to ya!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:25 PM

2019 C Class sedan
Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, when we entered the lease we both had high-paying jobs. The pandemic took care of those. Also, we got a really good deal on it. And you're correct, I meant November 2020. My quarrel isn't so much about the cost, which I knew would be higher than the place I took my previous Mercedes. My quarrel is with her telling me I needed a 20,000-mile/2-year service when I'd driven the car fewer than 2000 miles and was only 10 months into my lease.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:31 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
I certainly see what you're saying and wasn't trying to come off as an oosh bag about the 'if you knew...' comment either.....the Pandamnit really does suck it in many ways!
Old 01-12-2021, 10:29 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
service B is an oil change so just get the oil changed and reset the light.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 Mercedes C300 Sport 4Matic AMG Pack (W205)
The car needs service every 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. But from what I know, at 10k miles it's Service A.
So, I'm guessing it's most likely that the car hit the 2 years old mark. It had the Service A done after 12 months, with less than 5k miles. Then, 12 months later (2 years old as of today), it recommended Service B (even if you have less than 8k miles).
Service B is recommended at 20k miles or 2 years after newly purchased (whichever comes first).

Maybe check the Carfax history of your car, and you can find out if my guess is correct or not.
Next time, ask for a printout of the billing breakdown of the schedule before you agree to it. It'll give you an idea of what they'll be billing you for.

I just completed Service B at 40k miles on my 2017 C300, and in the middle there was a $250 charge to "Check, rotate and balance tires. Verify tires integrity, and put air pressure"... literally a $25 or $30 work at any local tire shop.
That's what we get for taking our beloved Mercedes to Mercedes dealerships... and good luck for everything. This covid year greatly hit us financially also, so I feel for you.

Source: MY10-Maintenance-Booklet.pdf (mbusa.com)
Source: What Are the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Service Intervals? | MB of Ontario (mbontario.com)

Old 01-12-2021, 11:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C300 4matic Coupe
Most Mercedes Benz dealers gave free 2 years service on preowned vehicles. They should have offered that to you.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:38 AM

Also, since you leased the car you have to do all services on time and change any parts with Mercedes genuine parts. Even the tires have to be manufacturer approved. Or else at the end of your lease.......you will pay a fine. Pretty much you can't let an independent shop touch a leased car.