C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 Canada to Eruope

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
C300 Canada to Eruope

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I have bought C300 4 Matic 2020 from canada imported to Europe.
I have changed everything to comply with the European standards except that my turn signal (rear) is blinking read. I bought new light but they look exactly they same as the one I have.
So the first question that came up is that his have to be a programmatic issue ?

Its the only thing left for it to be approved by the European standard.

Any inputs or insight on this ?

Regards,
Marques
Old 02-16-2021, 05:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
W205
Are you sure you bought the right light? I haven't done the conversion myself but I was thinking of getting one that has the dynamic blinker and they are available so it would look like the SAM provides power to the light when you put your turn signal on and doesn't control what colour the light is.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001454380979.html is the one I considered, maybe it can be useful for you
Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,914 Likes on 2,618 Posts
2019 C63CS
As far as I can tell there is no difference in the physical appearance between the NA and EU taillights, but that doesn't say anything about the internals and there is definitely also an aspect of programming, because the light patterns are different in NA due to the red blinkers. Specifically when the brake lights are on to make sure the drivers behind can tell the difference between the brake lights and the blinker since both are red. If I'm not mistaken in NA the brake light blinks together with the blinker to make it clear, but that is not allowed or necessary in Europe since the blinker is amber. However in Europe the brake lights blink under hard braking to alert the drivers behind. This function is not enabled in NA.So there is definitely coding that has to happen to make sure the taillights behave according to the market you are in.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-16-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by superswiss
As far as I can tell there is no difference in the physical appearance between the NA and EU taillights, but that doesn't say anything about the internals and there is definitely also an aspect of programming, because the light patterns are different in NA due to the red blinkers. Specifically when the brake lights are on to make sure the drivers behind can tell the difference between the brake lights and the blinker since both are red. If I'm not mistaken in NA the brake light blinks together with the blinker to make it clear, but that is not allowed or necessary in Europe since the blinker is amber. So there is definilty coding that has to happen to make sure the taillights behave according to the market you are in. However in Europe the brake lights blink under hard braking to alert the drivers behind. This function is not enabled in NA.
All this could be done using a microcontroller inside the tail lights though or be controlled through the rear SAM, so the question is if @m310 has bought the correct tail lights to start off with.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,914 Likes on 2,618 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by PaulR7
All this could be done using a microcontroller inside the tail lights though or be controlled through the rear SAM, so the question is if @m310 has bought the correct tail lights to start off with.
It could be and I don't know how MB solved it, but I know in Audis for example it's coding. A lot of US owners like to code the EU behavior into their NA lights and also swap out the headlights to get rid of the amber reflector, and the EU headlights also needed to be coded in. There's increased standardization in the light assemblies to save production cost and then the regional differences are just coding. For example the Intelligent LED lights in NA are the same as the EU headlights, but in NA they are programmed to simulate adaptive high beams, whereas in EU they darken the areas of oncoming cars, but physically the headlights have the same 80 LED matrix and other than the amber reflector for NA are identical.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-16-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Thanks for your input.

I bought the correct lights but didn't swap them as they looked exactly the same in detail and If I connected to the right of the box they would still blink red (where the brake light is as you mentioned). Someone told me that a cable rewiring in the adapter. needs to be done and then program it to EU standard. To answer your question, I still have the original lights on since they looked the same.

@PaulR7 - Appreciate it, but they are not the same in my case.

If you guys look at the attachment you could see they are identical the only difference is the blinker on the "brake light" spot instead of on the "white" area.

Original lights

Light with EU standard from MB Service center. They look exactly they same to me.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:06 AM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
If your car has the adaptive high beam assist, the Canadian regulations have had this feature turned off until the 2021 models; therefore, it won't work like the European intelligent headlights. You might be able to get it coded at a European Mercedes dealer though.