C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

New C300 owner, help with dreaded piano black console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c300
New C300 owner, help with dreaded piano black console

Hello all. I recently purchased my first MB a 2018 C300. It was a certified pre-owned. I love the car but the piano black center console is horribly scratched up. The car only has 20k miles but the center console easily has 150k. I plan on ordering a new one. For anyone who has switched theirs out, any issues with the parts? The one I like is either the black ash or aluminum. Does anyone know if the C-coupe and Convertible center console is the same as the sedan? On MBparts.com the description doesn’t say whether it’s for a clock dash or non-clock. There are ones that say with illumination. Does that mean clock? My car is a non-clock model. Any help would be great. The part numbers I’m looking at are:

205-680-39-05

205-680-44-06-64

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and glad to be here

Old 03-23-2021, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
The seller must mention if the product is for a w205 or C205 with or without clock. These things are basics. Dont buy before you contact him and get his confirmation that it will fit on your car. Why dont you have a look on Ebay. They mention clearly all required details. I went for dark Carbon Fiber. Btw you dont need part numbers unless your are buying OEM.

Last edited by Andy74; 03-24-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Dusty78
Hello all. I recently purchased my first MB a 2018 C300. It was a certified pre-owned. I love the car but the piano black center console is horribly scratched up. The car only has 20k miles but the center console easily has 150k. I plan on ordering a new one. For anyone who has switched theirs out, any issues with the parts? The one I like is either the black ash or aluminum. Does anyone know if the C-coupe and Convertible center console is the same as the sedan? On MBparts.com the description doesn’t say whether it’s for a clock dash or non-clock. There are ones that say with illumination. Does that mean clock? My car is a non-clock model. Any help would be great. The part numbers I’m looking at are:
I have the same model and same scratched up console, one of the few things I haven't modded/replaced yet. You won't be ordering by full part #s unless you are getting OEM replacements. You basically just need a w205 non-clock (no half moon under the CD player slot) center console, ebay has many in different styles. As for illumination, that's if your model came with the ambient lighting package (under edge of console and on the doors). I'm not sure if the illumination model is any different other than including the light tubing.

You could also do a vinyl wrap at a local shop in any color/pattern you like. But the price for material/labor would probably equal a full replacement.

Welcome to the club, this may be the first of many mods!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic AMG Line
I just changed my center console trim from the awful piano black to the beautiful matte, open-grain black ash wood trim today. When I bought my car, the black ash was temporarily unavailable (shortage of parts), so I had to settle for the horrible piano black. Not only did it look so cheap, after only 22,000 miles, it was scratched up, and I had to clean the fingerprints off every single day. I finally had enough of it.

The workaround for the clock issue is very simple: use the MB OEM GLC trim part (part number 253-680-68-02), which isn’t fitted with a clock. It works/fits perfectly in my 2018 C300 AMG Line (same as yours, but mine is black exterior).

Im not a mechanic, and I found the installation process simple after watching a few videos on how to take the console apart. Simply, remove the console trim piece, unscrew two screws, pull the whole console trim unit out, disconnect the wires, carefully pull all of the components off of the piano black trim (cup holder/ashtray assembly, COMAND dial control, climate control unit, and CD slot/button unit, and the three air vents), attach all of the components to the new wood trim, reconnect and reinstall it in your car. I had a computer tool kit with torx screwdrivers and plastic tools for unclipping clips and carefully prying up trim pieces. The whole process took me about an hour.

Further, I made sure the connections were tight and lubed where necessary, and I have ZERO squeaks and rattles. The new trim seems better fitted than the original.

I did not change my door panel trim, as I like the brushed aluminum with the Burmester speaker grates.

Good luck! If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

The following users liked this post:
Dusty78 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c300
That looks awesome! I will do the same. Thanks for the info. My first mod was this MagSafe charger for the ashtray bin. I got the wireless charger from Amazon but it’s wasn’t good. It constantly disconnected so I removed the guts and fitted it with an Apple MagSafe charger. I’m just waiting for a USBc plug to get it working. I have also added wireless Apple CarPlay via the Carlinkit II kit and it works perfectly!

The following users liked this post:
Bruce Davis (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic AMG Line
That looks great! Rather ingenious solution!

I have been curious about a wireless CarPlay solution, but I haven't done it yet. Part of the reason I love CarPlay so much is that it drastically reduced distracted driving for me. I get in, plug in my phone, toss it in the console compartment, close the lid, and I don't pick it up until I get out of the car. The only downside is that I often leave the car and forget to take my phone with me.

Good luck with your console trim project. I'm really happy with how mine turned out. and it wasn't that difficult. And it looks SO much better. Let me know if you run into issues. I might be able to help.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300
How about this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...95815511%22%7D
I didn't see them so I cannot guarantee the quality but they have something you may be interested.
I am not sure the link works, search for "4pcs Carbon Fiber ABS Car Interior Doors Decoration Panel Cover Trim For Mercedes-Benz E-Class W213 2016-2021 Car Accessories" or similar.