C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Autocrossing a W205 Sedan or Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2021 | 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Autocrossing a W205 Sedan or Wagon

Has anyone here run autocross with a W205 sedan or wagon? Even a coupe, for that matter. I'm considering signing up for some local autocross events.

Just for info, it's two autocross layouts; one is a 1/2 mile course and the other a 1 mile course.

(my car: 2015 C300 4Matic, Coilovers, Stock non-sport Brakes, Pilot Sport 4 AS)

Thoughts or experiences?
Old 05-10-2021 | 03:27 PM

2018 C43
Originally Posted by Keith66
Has anyone here run autocross with a W205 sedan or wagon? Even a coupe, for that matter. I'm considering signing up for some local autocross events.

Just for info, it's two autocross layouts; one is a 1/2 mile course and the other a 1 mile course.

(my car: 2015 C300 4Matic, Coilovers, Stock non-sport Brakes, Pilot Sport 4 AS)

Thoughts or experiences?
Took mine to track few times pre-covid. Have stock amg adjustable damping suspension, stock conti sport 5p, front amg brakes and what was lacking were the cornering and the leather seats where I would slide side to side continuously.

You need a tighter suspension, possible to tighten up the coilovers and michelin super sport/pilot 4 summer/cup 2s to handle the weigh of w205 which is a rolling pig. Hopefully the track you go don't have lot of straight aways so you don't fall behind, maybe add nos or bigger turbo with better tunes to compensate that. Add some recaro seats so you stay planted as well.
Old 05-10-2021 | 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Took mine to track few times pre-covid. Have stock amg adjustable damping suspension, stock conti sport 5p, front amg brakes and what was lacking were the cornering and the leather seats where I would slide side to side continuously.

You need a tighter suspension, possible to tighten up the coilovers and michelin super sport/pilot 4 summer/cup 2s to handle the weigh of w205 which is a rolling pig. Hopefully the track you go don't have lot of straight aways so you don't fall behind, maybe add nos or bigger turbo with better tunes to compensate that. Add some recaro seats so you stay planted as well.
Dude, thank you! This is exactly why I was asking... I am so focused on the hardware I didn't even think of how much I'm going to be tossed around in our seats. You think ratchet-strapping my pelvis to the seat may be against the rules? LOL

Mine being low and the dampers adjusted to full "firm" eliminates most of the body roll, but yeah, this is a wicked heavy car to be tossing around and will be pushing the tires pretty hard for sure. It is a fairly tight course weighted a bit more towards skill than power but I hear ya, the low end on a 2 liter is sad. I have an AMR Stage 1 tune, but the key there will be to keep the RPMs high enough to gain any minor benefit there.
Old 05-10-2021 | 04:05 PM

2018 C43
Originally Posted by Keith66
Dude, thank you! This is exactly why I was asking... I am so focused on the hardware I didn't even think of how much I'm going to be tossed around in our seats. You think ratchet-strapping my pelvis to the seat may be against the rules? LOL

Mine being low and the dampers adjusted to full "firm" eliminates most of the body roll, but yeah, this is a wicked heavy car to be tossing around and will be pushing the tires pretty hard for sure. It is a fairly tight course weighted a bit more towards skill than power but I hear ya, the low end on a 2 liter is sad. I have an AMR Stage 1 tune, but the key there will be to keep the RPMs high enough to gain any minor benefit there.
Mine with 3L V6 is probably little heavier. I would fall behind or hold up the pack on corners but on straight away, only the tuned mustangs and race cars were able to pass me.

If you are thinking about autocrossing in the parking lot setup, I would strongly advise not do those because your brakes and tires would heat up alot on non brembo nor on all seasons.
Old 05-10-2021 | 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Mine with 3L V6 is probably little heavier. I would fall behind or hold up the pack on corners but on straight away, only the tuned mustangs and race cars were able to pass me.

If you are thinking about autocrossing in the parking lot setup, I would strongly advise not do those because your brakes and tires would heat up alot on non brembo nor on all seasons.
Yup, part of my decision is factoring in the cost of cooking my brakes and/or tires :p This is setup on an airport runway and each car runs solo. Here's a run from 2017:

The following users liked this post:
MDMOORE99 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 01:35 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
All W205 models there is only front and rear Toe (directional) adjustment. New car industry's best kept secret.

It is all to do with cost cutting and the ever increasing speed of auto assembly lines. KMAC has been resolving such OEM suspension shortcomings since 1964.

We therefore manufacture a “Total Suspension System”. Front Camber and Caster, Rear Camber and extra Toe to adjust tire contact angles, spread load more evenly, gain traction. Resolve costly, premature edge tire wear.

See also website re uprated bushings to reduce rear end flex, wheel tramp, especially when applying power to lane change / overtake.

Track days dial in extra negative Camber to reduce understeer in the quest to go deeper into the corners with increased traction, braking response (and to hit those corner apex's every time).

KMAC adjustable bushings “at the same time” dramatically reduce twist, flex, loss of traction. Eliminating the OEM soft rubber, oil and air voided bushes.

The front Forward facing thrust arm bushes also significantly improving brake and steering response being Monoball / 2 Axis. Allowing arms to travel through their required suspension arcs without binding, locking up. Superceding delrin or steel spherical bearings having more then twice the load bearing, impact area.....

FRONT LOWER ARM CAMBER & CASTER BUSHING KIT
(Also replacing at same time the 4 front highest wearing suspension bushes)

#502816K $480 (Both Sides)
C180-350

#503416K $480 (Both Sides)
C300-450 / C43 AMG 4MATIC

#503316K
C63/S

FRONT UPPER ARM CAMBER & CASTER BUSHING KIT
Alternative or extra adjustment for track days. Includes bush extraction tool (fit without need for arm removal). Unlike welded / fabricated arms KMAC upper and lower arm adjuster kits - retain the security of the OEM hi-strength forged alloy arms.

#503316-2J $380 (Both Sides)

REAR SUSPENSION:
Lower arm Camber adjustable bushing kit.

(also extra Toe adjustment to compensate). Unlike “lower arm” adjustment important clearance top of tire to outer fender is reduced when wanting to resolve costly, premature inner edge wear.

Includes bush extraction tool. Also precise single wrench adjustment. Accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack. All above models
#502226K $480 (Both Sides)

Upper Camber arms (also extra Toe to compensate) NOTE: Unlike lower arm adjuster reduces clearance top of tire to outer fender when wanting to resolve costly, premature inner edge tire wear.
#502226-1M (Both Sides)
#502226-3M (Both Sides) C63/S Coupe.

DHL Delivery worldwide $40 one kit ($20 each)

Last edited by K-Mac; 05-19-2021 at 01:21 AM.