C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

The new W206 weighs 3400 lbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:48 AM

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
The new W206 weighs 3400 lbs

Yes I do realize I’m posting in the W205 section, but the W206 section is dead and I thought this was rather interesting. Anyway, we already know that the RWD non pano roof W205 C300 is one of the lightest cars in its class. Motor trend weighed it at 3537 lbs, and its nearest competitor the RWD 330i, at 3646 lbs, (Car and driver weighed the 330i at 3681). Other cars like the Audi A4 tip the scales at 3705 lbs, ouch, and the RWD Giulia 2.0t at 3636 lbs, both according to Car and Driver.

When the W206 was released, I didn’t expect it to actually lose any weight over the W205, I actually expected it to gain about 100 lbs, putting it in the low to mid 3600s. So I was absolutely shocked when I opened the new The Star magazine and saw that the new rwd C300 tipped the scales at 3472 lbs. It seems too good to be true given the increase in size and tech. If it is true, hopefully the weight distribution is also on point, and we’ll have a proper sport sedan.

What do you guys think? Too good to be true or not?

Added note: a rear spoiler is a MUST on this car, the rear end looks terrible without it, the trunk is too curved and angled, and the lights are too big. I recently saw a picture of it, albeit not the clearest, with a spoiler and it completely fixes all of those issues. It gives the trunk an added edge, reduces the curvature, and flows with the taillights making them not look out of place.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Wow, this is surprising. Given the increased size and electric motor assist, if I had to bet money on it I would've bet it to increase in weight. Must be much more yummy aluminum bits in there. I agree that a rear spoiler definitely helps balance the rear styling.

I was initially really excited about the W206 and was considering trading up but after seeing clear pictures of the body styling, MB's decision to practically eliminate the deep shoulder line kills it for me. IMO it makes the W206 body too vanilla and flat-sided. My first thought when I saw the way the vertical door lines are flat and straight made me think of a Chevy Astro van, lol (<-- for those that like it, that's cool... this is only my opinion). Maybe it looks better IRL and maybe it'll grow on me (?)

I snagged 2 images off The Google to side-by-side illustrate what I mean about the shoulder line:

Old 05-12-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Keith66
Wow, this is surprising. Given the increased size and electric motor assist, if I had to bet money on it I would've bet it to increase in weight. Must be much more yummy aluminum bits in there. I agree that a rear spoiler definitely helps balance the rear styling.

I was initially really excited about the W206 and was considering trading up but after seeing clear pictures of the body styling, MB's decision to practically eliminate the deep shoulder line kills it for me. IMO it makes the W206 body too vanilla and flat-sided. My first thought when I saw the way the vertical door lines are flat and straight made me think of a Chevy Astro van, lol (<-- for those that like it, that's cool... this is only my opinion). Maybe it looks better IRL and maybe it'll grow on me (?)

I snagged 2 images off The Google to side-by-side illustrate what I mean about the shoulder line:

The lack of deep shoulder line was one of the first things I noticed, along with the terrible rear end. I’m a fan of the front end, love the new aggressive approach, the way everything is angled makes it look like it’s hugging the road if that makes sense. The side is completely boring and flat, I completely agree. I am happy they they kept that softer body line that starts at the end of the rear doors and continues on the quarter panel, it’s helps to give the rear a bit of an aggressive widened stance. What was nice about that crease on the W205 was that it made the front seem wider to me than it actually was, which is sort of lacking on this new one.

What really had killed it for me was the rear end, I thought it was fugly, but luckily the spoiler fixes my gripes with it. The W205 was pretty curvy in the rear, but it flowed well, the W206 is even more curvy and it just doesn’t flow with the taillights. The spoiler makes it looks wider, less curved, and gives it an edge that it needed desperately. I think the matte grey wasn’t doing the car any favors either, and that Mojave silver on the spoiler car gives it more depth. When I first saw that picture with the spoiler my first thought was actually “wow that looks good” and many people in the comments seemed to agree that the spoiler is a make or break on the rear of the car.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:36 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by 2010C-class
Yes I do realize I’m posting in the W205 section, but the W206 section is dead and I thought this was rather interesting. Anyway, we already know that the RWD non pano roof W205 C300 is one of the lightest cars in its class. Motor trend weighed it at 3537 lbs, and its nearest competitor the RWD 330i, at 3646 lbs, (Car and driver weighed the 330i at 3681). Other cars like the Audi A4 tip the scales at 3705 lbs, ouch, and the RWD Giulia 2.0t at 3636 lbs, both according to Car and Driver.

When the W206 was released, I didn’t expect it to actually lose any weight over the W205, I actually expected it to gain about 100 lbs, putting it in the low to mid 3600s. So I was absolutely shocked when I opened the new The Star magazine and saw that the new rwd C300 tipped the scales at 3472 lbs. It seems too good to be true given the increase in size and tech. If it is true, hopefully the weight distribution is also on point, and we’ll have a proper sport sedan.

What do you guys think? Too good to be true or not?

Added note: a rear spoiler is a MUST on this car, the rear end looks terrible without it, the trunk is too curved and angled, and the lights are too big. I recently saw a picture of it, albeit not the clearest, with a spoiler and it completely fixes all of those issues. It gives the trunk an added edge, reduces the curvature, and flows with the taillights making them not look out of place.

Why does rear lights look more angrier then the new cla?

New cla looks so much better imo.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stockbmw
Why does rear lights look more angrier then the new cla?

New cla looks so much better imo.

I do like how it dips down unlike the C class, which seems to be just a straight triangle. The bumper guards next to the license plate of the CLA are a bummer though, I’d rip those off in a heartbeat.