C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Nox sensor shortage, courtesy car issues and poor MB service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 04:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S205
Nox sensor shortage, courtesy car issues and poor MB service

Back at the beginning of May the engine management light came on in my 18 plate S205 C220d. I took it to Mercedes Benz Glasgow to get it looked at under manufacturers warranty and they diagnosed the issue as the downstream NOX sensor being faulty. I left the car with them for 3 weeks waiting on the replacement which never materialised before going back and asking for a courtesy car as I had to drive to Portsmouth for work. I was told that there is a worldwide shortage of these NOX sensors and MB have none anywhere and as such need to manufacture more, they couldnt give me a forecast for when this new sensor will be available "could be a week, could be a year" was what I was told. So the service manager told me the car is completley safe to drive and the worst that will happen is the sensor will fail completley and put me into limp mode then under warranty MB will come and recover me etc. Etc. Now thats fine if I wasnt going to far a afield but I am weekly driving the length of the country and back regularly with my job in the Royal Navy and I have tight timings to meet ships sailings and other operational commitments which cannot be moved if I am late. I cant have the constant spectre of a fault that I know about that could end the journey swiftly hanging over me, which will be for an unknown length of time, even if I had a rough date I could expect the sensor I would at least be a little more reassured. When I asked for a courtesy car I was told that there are literally no courtesy cars anywhere available in the Mercedes UK network they can give me as they are all being used by people with the same issue as me so nobody in the UK can get one now (which Im not entirley convinced by). So I am now expected to drive a car that may or may not (I know probably less likley but still) crap out on me at any moment for the forseeable future? Doesnt seem like a good enough answer to me to be honest. I know Im being paranoid but putting the better part of 4k miles on the clock every month with a fault like this looming over me doest sot right with me and makes me very uncomfortable.
Anyway long story short, has anyone else heard about or is aware of this 'worldwide' NOX sensor shortage? Also am I being unreasonable to demand a courtesy car given the circumstances?
I only bought this car in March as my BMW crapped out on me and I bought the C class (my first MB) given its age and warranty etc for piece of mind so I wouldnt need to worry about such things, but thus far not impressed with the service. I appreciate a parts issue isnt the Dealerships fault and they may well personally not have any courtesy vehicles left in their branch, but I find it hard to believe that across the entire MB UK network they have none available they can source. The whole thing just seems like they are shrugging their shoulders and ignoring the problem rather than trying to find a solution, not the kind of service I would expect from a brand such as MB.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 187 Posts
W205 2015
How buying a used NOX sensor?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:37 AM

S205
Originally Posted by Andy74
How buying a used NOX sensor?
Im not personally spending a couple of hundred pounds on a used sensor for a car that is still under manufacturers warranty.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by Morgan McDonald
Im not personally spending a couple of hundred pounds on a used sensor for a car that is still under manufacturers warranty.
I agree in theory. But the reality is that they are waiting for it to be manufactured by MB and I personally will not wait for this to happen as it might take for ever. So one option is to buy a used one and get them to pay the bill.
How about trying another dealership maybe they will be more professional and responsible.
This is one strange dealership they dont have the item in stock they cant source it they don't know when they will have it they dont have a courtesy car and they ask the customer to drive the car until it dies on him. Very unprofessional.

Last edited by Andy74; 07-08-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:43 AM

S205
I agree in theory. But the reality is that they are waiting for it to be manufactured by MB and I personally will not wait for this to happen as it might take for ever. So one option is to buy a used one and get them to pay the bill.
How about trying another dealership maybe they will be more professional and responsible.
This is one strange the dont have the item in stock they cant source it they don't know when they will have it the dont have a courtesy car and they ask the customer to drive the car until it dies on him. Very unprofessional.
I did ask them about buying a sensor from outwith their parts network and showed them several new genuine mercedes ones available immediatley but they gave me a spiel about voiding warranty work and their liability insurance etc if they use parts from a non approved supplier which actually sounds reasonable because I suppose they cant 100% verify or trust the parts outwith their own network.
I have escalated the case to MB UK as I was getting no help from the dealer so hopefully will hear back soon, but all in all I am very dissapointed in the service thus far.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
What about safety?? What if the car dies on a highway? Or in the middle of the night in the lala land? MB UK needs to know about this.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:04 AM

S205
What about safety?? What if the car dies on a highway? Or in the middle of the night in the lala land? MB UK needs to know about this.
As far as they are concerned the car is 'safe' as it wont explode or catch fire or have an immediate threat to life, but your argument is the same as mine, how is letting me drive a car with a known fault that could strand me hundreds of miles from home/work for hours deemed safe? They tried to justify it saying that MB would recover me under the warranty if this happened, but this just seems like a cop out.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Loosing power or ability to handle a car on a highway is unsafe. Stranded in the middle of nowhere is unsafe. The strategy of dont worry drive the car until it dies on you and we will pick you in irresponsible. Their unwillingness to provide a replacement car is unacceptable. They can rent a Corolla until they fix your car. That's what responsible professional people would do.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vito
Back at the beginning of May the engine management light came on in my 18 plate S205 C220d. I took it to Mercedes Benz Glasgow to get it looked at under manufacturers warranty and they diagnosed the issue as the downstream NOX sensor being faulty. I left the car with them for 3 weeks waiting on the replacement which never materialised before going back and asking for a courtesy car as I had to drive to Portsmouth for work. I was told that there is a worldwide shortage of these NOX sensors and MB have none anywhere and as such need to manufacture more, they couldnt give me a forecast for when this new sensor will be available "could be a week, could be a year" was what I was told. So the service manager told me the car is completley safe to drive and the worst that will happen is the sensor will fail completley and put me into limp mode then under warranty MB will come and recover me etc. Etc. Now thats fine if I wasnt going to far a afield but I am weekly driving the length of the country and back regularly with my job in the Royal Navy and I have tight timings to meet ships sailings and other operational commitments which cannot be moved if I am late. I cant have the constant spectre of a fault that I know about that could end the journey swiftly hanging over me, which will be for an unknown length of time, even if I had a rough date I could expect the sensor I would at least be a little more reassured. When I asked for a courtesy car I was told that there are literally no courtesy cars anywhere available in the Mercedes UK network they can give me as they are all being used by people with the same issue as me so nobody in the UK can get one now (which Im not entirley convinced by). So I am now expected to drive a car that may or may not (I know probably less likley but still) crap out on me at any moment for the forseeable future? Doesnt seem like a good enough answer to me to be honest. I know Im being paranoid but putting the better part of 4k miles on the clock every month with a fault like this looming over me doest sot right with me and makes me very uncomfortable.
Anyway long story short, has anyone else heard about or is aware of this 'worldwide' NOX sensor shortage? Also am I being unreasonable to demand a courtesy car given the circumstances?
I only bought this car in March as my BMW crapped out on me and I bought the C class (my first MB) given its age and warranty etc for piece of mind so I wouldnt need to worry about such things, but thus far not impressed with the service. I appreciate a parts issue isnt the Dealerships fault and they may well personally not have any courtesy vehicles left in their branch, but I find it hard to believe that across the entire MB UK network they have none available they can source. The whole thing just seems like they are shrugging their shoulders and ignoring the problem rather than trying to find a solution, not the kind of service I would expect from a brand such as MB.

Yes I've had this too.
My 2016 Vito went into limp mode because of this sensor. Took it to local dealer that I brought it from. Told me exact story. My Vito had 400 miles before it went from limp mode to a total stop. I then contacted another dealer in our area that had sensors on order for other customers with no delivery date for them.
I now have a 2016 van that can't be driven.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM

S205
Well, got a result, the dealer I bought the car from offered to take the car back as a trade in on something else for the invoice price I paid for it back in March. Shame as I really do love the car but I cant afford to have a faulty car for an unonown length of time until MB sort their sh*t out and get new NoX sensors in.
The following users liked this post:
Ron P Baker (07-29-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gle 350 de
Nox sensor

Well, got a result, the dealer I bought the car from offered to take the car back as a trade in on something else for the invoice price I paid for it back in March. Shame as I really do love the car but I cant afford to have a faulty car for an unonown length of time until MB sort their sh*t out and get new NoX sensors in.

I am waiting for new Gle 350de 1 month. Just need NOx. 😱
Old 08-14-2021, 04:14 AM

ML
Nox sensor

I have had exactly the same issue and been waiting since May for the part, just driven to Cornwall with engine light on and so stressful. I was told by MB that they would not foot the bill when if and when the part eventually arrives. They are asking me for £750 for a part that is clearly a MB issue and yet are not taking responsibility for this. I was told my car would not pass an MOT and I am also not able to sell my car with engine light on. So in short I have an extremely expensive motor that I can’t sell and I can’t drive and no one is taking responsibility for this. Go figure???

QUOTE=Morgan McDonald;8370378]Back at the beginning of May the engine management light came on in my 18 plate S205 C220d. I took it to Mercedes Benz Glasgow to get it looked at under manufacturers warranty and they diagnosed the issue as the downstream NOX sensor being faulty. I left the car with them for 3 weeks waiting on the replacement which never materialised before going back and asking for a courtesy car as I had to drive to Portsmouth for work. I was told that there is a worldwide shortage of these NOX sensors and MB have none anywhere and as such need to manufacture more, they couldnt give me a forecast for when this new sensor will be available "could be a week, could be a year" was what I was told. So the service manager told me the car is completley safe to drive and the worst that will happen is the sensor will fail completley and put me into limp mode then under warranty MB will come and recover me etc. Etc. Now thats fine if I wasnt going to far a afield but I am weekly driving the length of the country and back regularly with my job in the Royal Navy and I have tight timings to meet ships sailings and other operational commitments which cannot be moved if I am late. I cant have the constant spectre of a fault that I know about that could end the journey swiftly hanging over me, which will be for an unknown length of time, even if I had a rough date I could expect the sensor I would at least be a little more reassured. When I asked for a courtesy car I was told that there are literally no courtesy cars anywhere available in the Mercedes UK network they can give me as they are all being used by people with the same issue as me so nobody in the UK can get one now (which Im not entirley convinced by). So I am now expected to drive a car that may or may not (I know probably less likley but still) crap out on me at any moment for the forseeable future? Doesnt seem like a good enough answer to me to be honest. I know Im being paranoid but putting the better part of 4k miles on the clock every month with a fault like this looming over me doest sot right with me and makes me very uncomfortable.
I only bought this car in March as my BMW crapped out on me and I bought the C class (my first MB) given its age and warranty etc for piece of mind so I wouldnt need to worry about such things, but thus far not impressed with the service. I appreciate a parts issue isnt the Dealerships fault and they may well personally not have any courtesy vehicles left in their branch, but I find it hard to believe that across the entire MB UK network they have none available they can source. The whole thing just seems like they are shrugging their shoulders and ignoring the problem rather than trying to find a solution, not the kind of service I would expect from a brand such as MB.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-26-2021, 11:50 PM

MB CLA, GLC, next GLE
New GLE missing nox sensor

I stumble upon this thread. I ordered new GLE in January, car was manufactured / ready in june. Now waiting nox-sensor somewhere in Germany. Dealer said that there are cars waiting that should have been released to customers in May.

So no clue when I can get the car. I saw some article that situation might be better in September but who knows…

Tuomas, Helsinki Finland
Old 09-09-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w205 C220 estate
NOX sensors

Hi, have same issue with Mercedes Derby, NOX sensor on back order second month. Would not recommend place as well as have had year ago water ingress and harness was replaced with x2 nox sensors for about a grand. Less than year ago and sensor is out. Also never been told of extend of water ingress, just figured it out myself and had to remove carpets to dry them after fixing leak on windscreen. Totally rubbish service from stealers here, trying to fix things myself, lost any trust in them, have just ordered Star knockoff from China to pull out any faults, Autel scanner I have can tell me what car and vin but doesn't communicating with modules, another story. Bottom line is many people is waiting for nox sensors. I asked Mercedes how they are going to get my car through mot without nox sensor. And guess what they would freak emission test something they are good at!
Old 09-12-2021, 08:58 PM

Mercedes Gle
Expired 1st Mot due to Nox

Hi I have been having the same issue with the NOX sensor. I have been waiting since May for a Nox and now my car can not be driven as it has failed its Mot. I have complained to Mercedes customer services and to Mercedes finance but both are saying it is not their fault. I have paid car payments in June, July, August and September and can not drive my car. I got my car uplifted and returned to the dealership that sold me the car as I have no where to keep it now it's declared Sorn. I'm paying £570 a month for a car I can not drive and have not been given a courtesy car. I have taken my complaint to the ombudsman.
Johnsoke (03-26-2022)
Old 09-13-2021, 08:58 AM

w205 C220 estate
NOX sensor shortage

Originally Posted by Hayley1985
Hi I have been having the same issue with the NOX sensor. I have been waiting since May for a Nox and now my car can not be driven as it has failed its Mot. I have complained to Mercedes customer services and to Mercedes finance but both are saying it is not their fault. I have paid car payments in June, July, August and September and can not drive my car. I got my car uplifted and returned to the dealership that sold me the car as I have no where to keep it now it's declared Sorn. I'm paying £570 a month for a car I can not drive and have not been given a courtesy car. I have taken my complaint to the ombudsman.
Sorry to hear it mate, you are in real pickle, I don't have to pay as owning a car but shortly will face same issue with MOT, it is real scandal with these sensors, but main thing here is Mercedes approach to appears a serious and big problem. Good luck with Ombudsman.
Hayley1985 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 05:53 AM

meecedes e class coupe 2017
Mercedes e class coupe 2017

hey I’m dealing with the same issue right now with my Mercedes e class coupe 2017. I purchased the car from Evans halshaw Renault Doncaster back June. The day they delivered the car to me was when the engine management light popped on the dashboard. I couldn’t drive the car because it wasn’t worth take risk. So I called renualt to tel the about EML they sent someone to collect the car from in about 5 days. When the car had arrived with them after diagnosis test etc I was told the issue is with nox sensor if I’m pronouncing it correctly. They sent me a courtesy car and since June I’ve been driving there courtesy car and still being told the part is on back order. I’ve not driven the car since it was bought which is over 3 months now almost so I’m going to be calling renualt up again soon to cancel everything return my deposit back and keep the car because it’s not worth the stress if you ask me hopefully I’ll find a similar car soon. P.s I also hope you get your car fixed soon I know the feeling it’s not good at all

Old 03-04-2022, 05:39 AM

2013 e350 coupe
Part still on back order!?

Got same issue with nox bank 1 sensor 2 downstream. Mercedes saying that the parts are on back order. Surely everyone isn’t still waiting on their parts to arrive from last year?
Old 03-23-2022, 03:13 PM

GLC 220D 4Matic
Yes, everyone is still waiting for the NOX sensor, world wide shortage. I waited from June 2021 till 25th Jan this year to get mine for my GLC 220D 4Matic! And that was the 4th one I've had fitted! And guess what...the light has came back on AGAIN with same NOX sensor and I've only done 283 miles!!! In between that the Adblue countdown came on which Merc fixed. Going back into Merc to get looked at, they said they will send the data to Germany and maybe have to alter the software to suit my car...as long as they fix it and it doesn't cost me anything, I don't care, but I'm certainly not paying for another one. defo something up with the NOX sensors and the Adblue.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:26 PM

c200
Nox sensor

Hi all, after diagnostics at the dealership today they had to put a back order for a nox sensor on my c200 petrol and said a few weeks wait.. going by all your comments it may be a long wait it seems.
im guessing it’s okay to do short trips even with EML on?
Old 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM

c250 coupe
Any updates on anyone receiving the nox sensor ??

Originally Posted by tesh24
Hi all, after diagnostics at the dealership today they had to put a back order for a nox sensor on my c200 petrol and said a few weeks wait.. going by all your comments it may be a long wait it seems.

Any updates ??
Old 04-12-2022, 10:31 AM

c200
Originally Posted by j.bug90
Any updates ??
my dealership just been saying no update & will let us know.. blah blah!
Very annoying!
Old 04-27-2022, 05:38 PM

C200 Sport
Originally Posted by tesh24
I am in the same postion as you, I also have the C200 Sport Petrol 2015, same issue end of April 2022 and NOX Sensor on back order. Local Mec Dealership has quoted me £475.00 for the sensor including Vat and 2 1/2 hours labour at £210.00 per hour to install.

The problem is my car is booked in for the first week of July, I am currently trying to find a used one through scrapyards. I have checked with a dealership in Italy and same story they cant supply the part.

I am going to complain to the Mercedes dealership I purchased the car from and Mercedes UK. I have been driving Mercedes cars for 15 years. I think I am going to look at a Audi or Range Rover for my next car.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:54 PM

c200
Originally Posted by Kufara121
I am in the same postion as you, I also have the C200 Sport Petrol 2015, same issue end of April 2022 and NOX Sensor on back order. Local Mec Dealership has quoted me £475.00 for the sensor including Vat and 2 1/2 hours labour at £210.00 per hour to install.

The problem is my car is booked in for the first week of July, I am currently trying to find a used one through scrapyards. I have checked with a dealership in Italy and same story they cant supply the part.

I am going to complain to the Mercedes dealership I purchased the car from and Mercedes UK. I have been driving Mercedes cars for 15 years. I think I am going to look at a Audi or Range Rover for my next car.
Hey, so they have booked you in July as they expect to have the sensor in by then?

why are u even looking for a spare as it’s a downstream sensor then it’s safe to drive with EML on?

range rovers are unreliable like hell. I’d stay away. This is my personal opinion of course
Old 05-07-2022, 11:19 AM

C250
I have exactly the same problem with my C250 Bluetec 2015 model, although my Nox sensors do appear to need replacing just over every 2 years!! Had them replaced in 2020, then had the recall completed in 2021 by MB. Now have the same Nox sensors EM on again 26 months later. Cannot get the part anywhere and has been on order for a month now since 02/04/2022, with no date of expectation. Think MB should reconsider the pile of rubbish they are putting in their cars. Will be getting rid of this car asap. Since I bought the car from Big motoring world in August 2018 - the car has cost me just in services and repairs over £5,500, over a £100 a month which is absolute madness!!! Good luck to all of us hunting this part out there :-(

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nox sensor shortage, courtesy car issues and poor MB service