C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

B1F4500 Code - Starter battery has excessive resistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Merceds Benz GLK
B1F4500 Code - Starter battery has excessive resistance

Hi all,

Today fixed the problem on my wifes C300 W205 with the Yellow light on the dash: Stop the vehicle, shift to "P" leave the engine running. My scanner picked up the fault code B1F4500 Code - Starter battery has excessive resistance.
Reading other threads and watching youtube videos, everyone says to replace the axillary battery under the glovebox. This wasn't my case. Here is what i was dealing with, this is all symptoms that could be related to the problem:
Step #1 i replaced the axillary battery but the problem still remained.
Step #2 i checked the main battery, my multimeter reads 12.6V - battery is good.
Step #3 I checked the voltage out of the alternator while the car is running, the multimeter reads 14.3V - all good but the Yellow light is still on and the scanner still reads the fault code.
Step #4 I checked and cleaned all terminals at the main battery. Still having the same problem.
Step #5 Cleared all codes, but the light came back after a few minutes.
Step #6 Went ahead and replaced a new main 12V battery - Bingo! The Yellow light "Stop the vehicle, shift to "P" leave the engine running" gone by itself.

Called a local Mercedes dealer and explained the problem. The technician told me this: "even my old battery reads 12.6V, it doesn't mean the battery is good for Mercedes C300. The resistance inside the battery could be bad. Voltage and resistance are different things. Just replace the battery and it should fix the problem. No need to program a new battery, simply swap it".

So here i am, spent $160 on a new aftermarket battery (with exactly the same size and voltage numbers). I ended up installing my OEM old axillary battery back and returned a new one back to the seller. Everything works now as it should.

Hope this will help you to troubleshoot if you'll get The Yellow light ON "Stop the vehicle, shift to "P" leave the engine running and B1F4500 Fault Code - Starter battery has excessive resistance.

Cheers!

Last edited by ilovemyglk; 09-10-2021 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SweetAlpaca (10-17-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 AMG C43
Wow, maybe the car checks battery voltage during cranking or something to determine when the battery is beginning to die. If true, this may save you the experience of the suddenly dead battery so you can replace it on your schedule rather than the car all of a sudden not starting one day. If this is what it’s doing, I’m impressed!