C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Pre-entry climate on C350e drains battery while plugged in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350e
Pre-entry climate on C350e drains battery while plugged in?

I really don't understand why it is doing this. But I have my C350e setup for pre-entry climate to preheat the cabin (and the battery?) to prepare for using the car. I set the departure time. And the cabin is warm when I get to the car, but for some reason it does use up the battery for doing the pre-heating?
Before the pre-heating begins the car is fully charged, and it is plugged in. The charger is set to the "two LED-option" which is the quickest charging.
How come it uses the battery for pre-heating and not the electricity from the plugged in cable while retaining the charge?

Thank you!
Old 11-22-2021, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
What EVSE are you using to charge it? I have the Clipper Creek 40A EVSE and once I unlock to initiate preentry climate control,the EVSE switches to charging and the battery is usually at 100pct when I finally unplug and drive away

Old 11-23-2021, 01:29 AM

C350e
Originally Posted by Holson
What EVSE are you using to charge it? I have the Clipper Creek 40A EVSE and once I unlock to initiate preentry climate control,the EVSE switches to charging and the battery is usually at 100pct when I finally unplug and drive away
I use this one for charging the car, on the "fast charge mode" which pulls 13A I think:

So this charger is not enough for only preheating the car? Because the car is fully charged when the preheating begins, and while plugged in I almost loose all my charge.
Would my 2016 C350e be able to preheat the car while keeping 100% if I installed a real wall charger?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 G550, 18 C350e
I’ve never seen that charger. Is that plugged into a 110 or 220/240V outlet? The plug doesn’t look like a US 110v

in either case when the battery is near full it doesnt charge at the peak rate of 3.6kW (for the c350e)

next time you use pre entry can you just check that the charger is on?

also, are you trying to cool the car or warm the car with pre entry or asked differently where do you live?

Old 11-23-2021, 05:29 AM

C350e
Originally Posted by Holson
I’ve never seen that charger. Is that plugged into a 110 or 220/240V outlet? The plug doesn’t look like a US 110v

in either case when the battery is near full it doesnt charge at the peak rate of 3.6kW (for the c350e)

next time you use pre entry can you just check that the charger is on?

also, are you trying to cool the car or warm the car with pre entry or asked differently where do you live?
It is for a 220/240V outlet, it isn't my plug either, I have the EU plug, but it is the exact same charger.
I live in Sweden, that's maybe why you haven't seen that before.

Right now I am preheating the cabin, and when it does start the preheat I get a message from the Mercedes Me app that charging has started. But it pulls more power than it charges, so I am left with only like 40% if it is really cold outside.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 G550, 18 C350e
I tried testing it out for you as it was about 4c this morning in California. I turned pre entry on while car was plugged in and sure enough the EVSE started charging right away. I left to make coffee and came back 30 mins later but the car had shut off pre entry for whatever reason and showed that pre entry will be available again after turning car on… I’ll try again tomorrow!
Old 12-07-2022, 03:12 PM

Sl600
Same for UK spec

Originally Posted by joq3
I really don't understand why it is doing this. But I have my C350e setup for pre-entry climate to preheat the cabin (and the battery?) to prepare for using the car. I set the departure time. And the cabin is warm when I get to the car, but for some reason it does use up the battery for doing the pre-heating?
Before the pre-heating begins the car is fully charged, and it is plugged in. The charger is set to the "two LED-option" which is the quickest charging.
How come it uses the battery for pre-heating and not the electricity from the plugged in cable while retaining the charge?

Thank you!
Hi. I’m in the UK charging my 2021 GLC 300de from a 13A socket. I select Pre entry climate control and the Smart Meter in my house shows the car is pulling 2.3kW (even though it is already 100% charged), however when I want to use the vehicle, it is only 94% charged. I called the dealer, and was assured it was a “characteristic of the vehicle.” Surely it can’t take 6kW+ to perform pre entry climate control?? I’m an electronics engineer, but it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by Ghsl600; 12-07-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:59 AM

Sl600
Solution

Hi, I contacted MB regarding this (happy to report they responded quickly as always), and they replied as follows…It is not possible to change how the Climate Control functions. However, you can pre-set the Pre-Entry Climate Control in the Mercedes me app as per steps below, before charging the car:
  1. Open the Mercedes me app.
  2. Select Charging Status
  3. Select Departure time to indicate by when the battery should be fully charged.
  4. Select Pre-Entry Climate Control to activate it.
  5. Select Charging programs to choose a weekly charging profile and maximum charge level, then select Save.
Please note, It is possible to ensure the vehicle is charged by a certain time by using the departure time feature, but the vehicle will start charging directly after plugging in and will not wait for cheaper tariffs.

Hope this provides a bit more clarity
Cheers