C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 C300 bending and breaking spark plug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 W205 C300 + 2019 W205 C63s
Exclamation W205 C300 bending and breaking spark plug

Hi, I got a misfire on cylinder 1 today, so i drove the vehicle approx 30 seconds to be able to stop is safely, and cylinder 2 and 4 also misfired. I then went and bought 4 new sparkplugs, and when i took out the spark plug out of cylinder 1, it was completely crushed. The ceramic part was broken and nowhere to be seen. I checked the cylinder with a camera to check if the ceramic part is there and it was not. I installed 4 new plugs, deleted the codes and engine started straight away and ran fine for about 5 min. Then the same thing happened, This time it was cylinder 2 misfire and then again cylinder 1 misfire after it. The spark plugs of the other 3 cylinders did not have any bends or anything.

I am just wondering, how could the spark plug get crushed like that? Was it the ceramic part falling off and somehow when the cylinder went up it hit the plug? Or the valves bent it somehow? The engine still turns and it will start but with a misfire. Could it be the timing chain somehow being off? Car has 93k km (57k miles) If anybody has any ideas or has had this happen in the past, then please let me know, because I am running out of ideas, before taking the engine out and for a more thorough check.

Its a 2017 model C class, with the updated engine for the wrist pin issue.

Thanks for any advice or input into my situation
Old 12-22-2022, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes-benz C300 rwd
Did you get the issue resolved

Originally Posted by DenisK
Hi, I got a misfire on cylinder 1 today, so i drove the vehicle approx 30 seconds to be able to stop is safely, and cylinder 2 and 4 also misfired. I then went and bought 4 new sparkplugs, and when i took out the spark plug out of cylinder 1, it was completely crushed. The ceramic part was broken and nowhere to be seen. I checked the cylinder with a camera to check if the ceramic part is there and it was not. I installed 4 new plugs, deleted the codes and engine started straight away and ran fine for about 5 min. Then the same thing happened, This time it was cylinder 2 misfire and then again cylinder 1 misfire after it. The spark plugs of the other 3 cylinders did not have any bends or anything.

I am just wondering, how could the spark plug get crushed like that? Was it the ceramic part falling off and somehow when the cylinder went up it hit the plug? Or the valves bent it somehow? The engine still turns and it will start but with a misfire. Could it be the timing chain somehow being off? Car has 93k km (57k miles) If anybody has any ideas or has had this happen in the past, then please let me know, because I am running out of ideas, before taking the engine out and for a more thorough check.

Its a 2017 model C class, with the updated engine for the wrist pin issue.

Thanks for any advice or input into my situation
I have the same issue did you get yours resolved or no.?

Old 12-25-2022, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
There is no way possible for spark plugs to become mechanically damaged unless there is other mechanical damage in the cylinder, for example a piece of broken piston, which this engine is unfortunately known for.

Another possibility is a too-long spark plug. Please post a photo of the spark plug box as you purchased it from the retailer. Where did you purchase spark plugs? The MB dealer?