C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

ECU Tune Risks ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
ECU Tune Risks ?

I have 104000km on my vehicle and I am thinking of doing my first tune which should add 90hp, and 120 increase in torque. I may add a simple upgrade in air filter too, however, K and N filters may result in increased dirt entering the engine. I only have access to 91 fuel where I live and I find the piggy back iffy and costs close to what an ECU tune would cost. I am just concerned about long-term damage to the engine, transmission etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
A mild tune and running good gas minimizes additional risks, but there is always a risk when you are increasing the power output of an engine. Additional stress and heat can accelerate potential failures, so there will always be an inherent risk of that.

In general, a well-programmed tune in a well-maintained engine running quality high-octane fuel is "safe"... but there's a massive amount of truth in the saying "You've got to pay to play." There's always a chance that it could be more costly if something goes sideways.

I've had an ECM tune on my car for well over a year, no problems here. I also don't flog on my car all the time either. If you drive it hard all the time, tune or no tune, something will give eventually.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by Keith66
A mild tune and running good gas minimizes additional risks, but there is always a risk when you are increasing the power output of an engine. Additional stress and heat can accelerate potential failures, so there will always be an inherent risk of that.

In general, a well-programmed tune in a well-maintained engine running quality high-octane fuel is "safe"... but there's a massive amount of truth in the saying "You've got to pay to play." There's always a chance that it could be more costly if something goes sideways.

I've had an ECM tune on my car for well over a year, no problems here. I also don't flog on my car all the time either. If you drive it hard all the time, tune or no tune, something will give eventually.
Thank you for such a balanced feedback. How much was your increase in HP and Torque?