C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Total loss of power and multiple sensor faults

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017MY C220d AMG Line Premium Plus
Exclamation Total loss of power and multiple sensor faults

Hi!

I own a UK 2017MY C220 and, this morning, I had a total loss of power and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree before it died!

I am hoping that someone here can give me a rough idea, from the symptoms, rather than a mechanic charge me £200 for a £10 job:
  • Came to a stop in traffic and the car cut out; no warning lights on dash.
  • Managed to get it started, drove around 500m and the engine light came in with the warning "Anti-Collision not available"
  • Had a slight loss of power, but it eventually cleared (I was moving from an A road to a motorway, so there wasn't an option to stop at this point!)
  • Managed to get to the motorway proper and the faults appeared to clear themselves and the engine light went out, so I built speed and went to join the motorway.
  • Just as I was pulling into lane 1, the engine cut out and the anti-collision warning was back, along with the ABS light, and the engine light.
  • When the RAC arrived, I tried to start the car but it just sounded like it was trying to turn and the car was shaking violently.
  • Eventually got started but cut out as soon as I applied even a small amount of throttle.
  • Got towed home, car started and I reversed it into my drive - it is now showing "Parking brake - see owner's manual" and the parking brake won't engage.
When the RAC man plugged his tablet in, it showed "pretty much every sensor" as being faulty. He thinks it is just one sensor that has triggered lots of false readings.

Obviously, I will take it to a mechanic but I want to try and make sure, as best I can, that I am not taken for a ride!

Any help/advice/similar stories would be appreciated!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Petrol or diesel?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Old 07-05-2022, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017MY C220d AMG Line Premium Plus
Originally Posted by chassis
Petrol or diesel?

How many miles are on the vehicle?
Hi Chassis,

It's diesel and 74,218 miles on the clock.