C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Map update stuck on 98% for a week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c300 2021
Map update stuck on 98% for a week

Hi guys, just got a 2021 and got a message in the app that there is an update for maps, so I went to the car one the weekend and went to software update and it is stuck at 98%, I have driven the car for hours since and it still will not finish the update. Is there anything I can do to start it over or reset without bringing it to the dealer to manually update?

thanks!
​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
nbtech (01-20-2024)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
You can go to the Mercedes me connect portal and download the map updates to an SD card or USB stick. You can do so for all the regions. The OTA update only updates your home region anyway and doesn't update the voice recognition. Then insert the medium in the car and wait for the prompt. It will detect the update. Then start the update. This should cancel the OTA update in progress and instead do the manual update. Takes about 20 minutes to update the complete map if you wait for it. But you can also leave it and it will pause in the background and continue installing while you are driving. I generally perform the manual update for all regions plus the voice recognition instead of waiting for the OTA update. This way everything is up to date.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c300 2021
awesome, thank you!!! I will install it tonight
Old 12-06-2023, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by superswiss
You can go to the Mercedes me connect portal and download the map updates to an SD card or USB stick. You can do so for all the regions. The OTA update only updates your home region anyway and doesn't update the voice recognition. Then insert the medium in the car and wait for the prompt. It will detect the update. Then start the update. This should cancel the OTA update in progress and instead do the manual update. Takes about 20 minutes to update the complete map if you wait for it. But you can also leave it and it will pause in the background and continue installing while you are driving. I generally perform the manual update for all regions plus the voice recognition instead of waiting for the OTA update. This way everything is up to date.
this won’t stop the stuck installation. Any other way to about the installation and allow for the USB to be used?
Old 12-06-2023, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Moto_MIA
this won’t stop the stuck installation. Any other way to about the installation and allow for the USB to be used?
Did you get the prompt and started the update from the SD card/flash drive? It always cancels the current update in progress for me. You can also go to System | Software updates. You should see two updates. Select the one that's pending and try starting it again. If that doesn't stop the hung OTA update, then it's really hung. You can try rebooting first by pressing and holding the power button until COMAND restarts. If that still doesn't work then you can try a factory reset, but that will wipe all your settings, so back them up first.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:09 PM

E350
Did you get the prompt and started the update from the SD card/flash drive? It always cancels the current update in progress for me. You can also go to System | Software updates. You should see two updates. Select the one that's pending and try starting it again. If that doesn't stop the hung OTA update, then it's really hung. You can try rebooting first by pressing and holding the power button until COMAND restarts. If that still doesn't work then you can try a factory reset, but that will wipe all your settings, so back them up first.
I get the 98% installation spinning.
I see the update I started from the USB as “paused”. I have no way to kill one to resume the USB one.
trying the power reset process now.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:21 PM

E350

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2023, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Ok, let it sit now and see if it completes. I saw it reset the progress to 0%. It should eventually cancel the OTA update and proceed with the update from the USB stick and then try the OTA update again at which point it will say that it's an obsolete update and skip it.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:17 PM

E350
Ok, let it sit now and see if it completes. I saw it reset the progress to 0%. It should eventually cancel the OTA update and proceed with the update from the USB stick and then try the OTA update again at which point it will say that it's an obsolete update and skip it.
ok I’ll leave it like that for a few days. I feel I tried this before and no joy but I’ll pay better attention now. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:46 PM

E350
same issue.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
same issue.
Stumped. I can only guess that it's at a point where it can't be cancelled anymore, however, I'm pretty sure I cancelled my last one fairly late as well, because it seemed stuck. The only other thing I can think off is to unchecked the Automatic updates at the top and see if that stops the OTA update in progress. Maybe after another reboot. Otherwise you might have to take it in and see if the dealer can get it unstuck for force a manual update.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:59 PM

E350
Stumped. I can only guess that it's at a point where it can't be cancelled anymore, however, I'm pretty sure I cancelled my last one fairly late as well, because it seemed stuck. The only other thing I can think off is to unchecked the Automatic updates at the top and see if that stops the OTA update in progress. Maybe after another reboot. Otherwise you might have to take it in and see if the dealer can get it unstuck for force a manual update.
tried that. Also tried rebooting with the USB already in to see if it picks that up before the OTA and no dice. Dealer it is. I even called MB support to see if they can do something OTA and they couldn’t.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E450 4MATIC
Any update you can share?
Old 12-13-2023, 04:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 814 Likes on 631 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
tried that. Also tried rebooting with the USB already in to see if it picks that up before the OTA and no dice. Dealer it is. I even called MB support to see if they can do something OTA and they couldn’t.
I can fix that by remote
problem is that you likely don't have any hardware for me to connect...
Old 12-13-2023, 06:11 AM

E350
Originally Posted by PPL1
Any update you can share?
Had a scheduled visit to the dealer for Dec 27th. Installation was completed yesterday.
But now when I load the USB with the entire update it errors out. Doesn't say why. I'm using a 256 GB USB formatted in exFAT. I am going to reformat it with NTFS and see if that works. If not, I will be going to the dealer the 27th anyways since I haven't cancelled that appt.
PPL1 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 06:12 AM

E350
What hardware would be needed?
Old 12-13-2023, 09:09 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Had a scheduled visit to the dealer for Dec 27th. Installation was completed yesterday.
But now when I load the USB with the entire update it errors out. Doesn't say why. I'm using a 256 GB USB formatted in exFAT. I am going to reformat it with NTFS and see if that works. If not, I will be going to the dealer the 27th anyways since I haven't cancelled that appt.
you can NOT use exFAT
it's NTFS for that head unit
Moto_MIA (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 09:10 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
What hardware would be needed?
A VCI and laptop to connect to the headunit
Old 12-13-2023, 09:40 AM

E350
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
you can NOT use exFAT
it's NTFS for that head unit
tried with ntfs and same issue
Old 12-13-2023, 12:12 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
tried with ntfs and same issue
so needs a map delete by coding
Old 12-13-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
I would love to update my MAP on the OEM screen even though I have an Android Screen and use Waze but sometimes I just want to listen to radio and leave the standard map as an option.

My wife purchased a 2015 GLK and we installed a USB to the USB port which came from her previous car and for some reason the system went all crazy and messed up the map information even thought the USB only had music on it. The USB used to work and now it hangs so not sure what happened to it but something messed up the OEM map. Mercedes reflashed her Command and now she has a 2020 Map upgrade in her 2015 GLK and I'm running on the 2016 still. Her 2020 looks different even more colorful than previously, even against my 2016 map.

Last edited by Cosworth2000; 12-14-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:42 PM

E350
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
so needs a map delete by coding
being an IT nerd, I couldn’t give up. So… I went and bought a 64gb USB stick. Formatted in NTFS and tried again… and pow! It’s working now. Seems the other USB was 256GB and the car doesn’t like such a large disk.
PPL1 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 08:18 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
being an IT nerd, I couldn’t give up. So… I went and bought a 64gb USB stick. Formatted in NTFS and tried again… and pow! It’s working now. Seems the other USB was 256GB and the car doesn’t like such a large disk.
never give up
1) do not use the laptop during the process
2) once the loading of the USB is completed, do not pull nor eject immediately. wait at least 30 seconds

don't use crappy weird brand usb thumb-drives

extreme on head-unit corruptions requires map-delete to clear space

well done!

Last edited by BenzNinja; 12-14-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Moto_MIA (12-14-2023)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
2020 C43 Stuck then Unstuck

After seeing the update stay on 98% for about a week, I found this forum post and was about to test the manual update method via USB when today, suddenly I saw a message on MBUX that the system has successfully completed the update.

I wanted to share this experience and also a hypothesis. The file size of the manual update is 32 gigabytes of data. This is quite a lot! Perhaps the update sits at 98% because the file size is so large it takes a while to download and install.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by nbtech
After seeing the update stay on 98% for about a week, I found this forum post and was about to test the manual update method via USB when today, suddenly I saw a message on MBUX that the system has successfully completed the update.

I wanted to share this experience and also a hypothesis. The file size of the manual update is 32 gigabytes of data. This is quite a lot! Perhaps the update sits at 98% because the file size is so large it takes a while to download and install.
The OTA update is much smaller, because it only updates one region. If you catch it in the Software Update UI you can see when it downloads. For me here in California, the OTA update was only about 250 MB. I saw it download while doing the manual install and it shows the size and how much it has downloaded thus far. The download is quick, but it appears that the OTA update is heavily compressed or is a diff instead of the full map, so it takes longer to unpack and update vs the manual download which essentially just replaces the whole map files for each region.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-20-2024 at 09:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Map update stuck on 98% for a week