C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2 issues - AC whirl & "stop vehicle keep engine running"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 (W205)
2 issues - AC whirl & "stop vehicle keep engine running"

Hi everyone,

I'm new to mbworld and looking forward to assimilating into the forum and learning about my Mercedes.

My late 2016 C250 (w205) is starting to develop gremlins.

I've recently started to get the "stop vehicle keep engine running" message on the dash and after researching here on the forum, apparently it could possibly point to the main battery requiring replacement.
The message isn't displayed from start-up, but seems to come on after about 30 minutes of driving in the heat (30°C) & congestion.
I also cannot get rid of the error message no matter how long I've let the car idle (15-20 minutes).
Mechanically the car drives fine, but it feels like it's running underpowered when accelerating... But it could be just in my head.

I'm going to test battery tomorrow.
Any recommendations about the error code or best battery type (Australia based) to replace it with?

Now another issue I'm having which initially I thought was linked to the aforementioned message, but now I'm not so sure, is a high frequency whirling noise coming from the centre console AC vents.
the whirling sound speeds up with the AC speed and stops completely if I turn off the AC.
It started when the above mentioned error started displaying several days ago... Hence why I thought it was a linked issue.
However, I couldn't find any other thread or video mentioning that their dying battery issue is also causing AC whining noises, understandably there lies my skepticism.

Anybody else had the above issues, are they linked and are there any threads or videos about these issuers?

O.D.S

Old 03-18-2023, 05:29 AM

C250 (W205)
An intermittent update.
After changing the battery and driving the car around town in 30°C+ weather, audio system turned up, aircon at maximum and headlights on, I never received the error again... But the real test will be tomorrow when I do a 150km round trip with it.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:16 AM

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
You need a new battery and do not get a cheap one.
The following users liked this post:
O.D.D (03-18-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:12 AM

C250 (W205)
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
You need a new battery and do not get a cheap one.
ok after a month or so with a new, expensive battery, I can confidently say that the issue has been resolved.

If anyone ever reads this thread again, the new main battery fixed my issue completely.