C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 coupe tires keep wearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 06:45 PM
hks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 c300 coupe
C300 coupe tires keep wearing

I’ve got a c300 coupe and my tires keep wearing on the inside. The last time I did an alignment they were done in 3 months. Anyone having this issue? I’ve been to around 4 different alignment stands and it’s not making any difference
Old 11-06-2023, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,598 Posts
2019 C63CS
Unfortunately, the only thing that can be adjusted in these cars is front and rear toe. So if the wear is caused by too much camber or improper caster then you can keep aligning it as much as you want, it's not gonna change anything. The AMG models are particularly prone to camber wear, which is inner edge wear due to aggressive camber in the front. The C300 shouldn't be as aggressive, but if you have the sport suspension, then it probably has a good amount of camber as well. Assuming nothing is bent and the toe is actually adjusted correctly, then the only real option is to get aftermarket adjustable control arms to reduce the front camber for better tire wear at the expense of steering response and handling.

FWIW, I did have this issue on my 2019 C63S coupe, but it seems to have corrected itself. They replaced the lower control arm on the driver side due to a creaking noise at full lock and a little later replaced both of my rear dampers, because they were making a high pitched electronic noise and were faulty. Camber wear is also reduced if you corner frequently, because then the tire is more flat on the road and takes advantage of the camber, but if you mostly drive in a straight line, then camber wear is somewhat common.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:42 AM
SPONSOR

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by hks
I’ve got a c300 coupe and my tires keep wearing on the inside. The last time I did an alignment they were done in 3 months. Anyone having this issue? I’ve been to around 4 different alignment stands and it’s not making any difference
That’s right - can go from one dealer or align shop to the next or constantly change tire brands.

Fact is OEM there is only one “showroom height” Camber setting ! Often quoted FULL FRONT AND REAR ‘4’ WHEEL ALIGNMENT IS NOW ONLY BASIC TOE “directional” adjustment. All to do with cost cutting and ever increasing speed of new car assembly lines.

Camber is essential allowing to adjust tire contact angles spread load more evenly. Prevent costly, Premature excess edge wear. Allowing to cater for extra load or lowering. Wide profile tires. High cambered roads with excess passenger side wear. Or just having ongoing adjustment capability for curb knock damage. Excess edge load can also lead to ruptured side walls, rim damage.

SEE SPOILER RE W205 Sedans, Wagons, Coupes incl. AMG C63’S’
Most popular K-MAC adjuster kit P/N’s:

AUDI to VOLVO - K-MAC Experience Of Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings Since 1964 !

Spoiler

Last edited by K-Mac; 11-07-2023 at 05:02 AM.