C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Vibration

I recently took my c220d 2016 w205 in for some new rubber. All four replaced, I then took it to an Indy for a ‘Mercedes’ alignment which cost £180 the rest is attached. During the next motorway trip when going over 70 I noticed a small vibration, I could definitely feel in the steering but also the car. Vibration gets worse with more speed. I took the car for another wheel balancing which was done but that has not improved it. I did some testing, more tire pressure I would say reduces it out perhaps just hides it. Tyres are usually 260kpa as stated on fuel filler. I did some more testing and think it is more pronounced when hot, this could be when tyres increase in pressure (to 260) out when tyres / suspension gets warm. Car tracks perfectly and breaking has no effect other than slowing the car which reduces it anyway. I do not think this is drive train related. Not sure whether to pay for another alignment or pay for a diag first and whether I should go to a main dealer for this? I don’t really have the money to keep trying different things. Does anyone know if the attached alignment results look ok?

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WN66SXX alignment report.pdf (170.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-30-2023, 11:36 PM

Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by james@mybigcomp
I recently took my c220d 2016 w205 in for some new rubber. All four replaced, I then took it to an Indy for a ‘Mercedes’ alignment which cost £180 the rest is attached. During the next motorway trip when going over 70 I noticed a small vibration, I could definitely feel in the steering but also the car. Vibration gets worse with more speed. I took the car for another wheel balancing which was done but that has not improved it. I did some testing, more tire pressure I would say reduces it out perhaps just hides it. Tyres are usually 260kpa as stated on fuel filler. I did some more testing and think it is more pronounced when hot, this could be when tyres increase in pressure (to 260) out when tyres / suspension gets warm. Car tracks perfectly and breaking has no effect other than slowing the car which reduces it anyway. I do not think this is drive train related. Not sure whether to pay for another alignment or pay for a diag first and whether I should go to a main dealer for this? I don’t really have the money to keep trying different things. Does anyone know if the attached alignment results look ok?

Thanks in advance
Since the car tracks perfectly, I would assume that the alignment is good. Is the vibration on one end or corner of the car? Perhaps try moving the front wheels to the back and see if the vibration changes (assuming you don’t have a staggered setup). If the vibration does change then it’s more than likely an issue with a tire or a bent wheel.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
This is when you need to book an appointment at your nearest dealer.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:57 AM

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
You need to bring it back to the people who placed the tires on the car as they may have not been balanced correctly.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Are you lowered? If so u do need parts to do an alignment, oem stuff can only adjust so much.

Have another set of wheels to try and figure it’s either the wheels or the car. I’m gonna assume it’s the car, maybe a bushing, or a suspension component failed somewhere. Swapping wheels is free to test assuming u have lol. Or have a friend with benz that’s willing to help? Might also be the wheel, see how many wheel weights are on the wheel if one wheel has significantly more that the others then that might be an indicator.