C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Adding wireless charger to front centre console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 01:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C160
Adding wireless charger to front centre console

I took delivery of my new old C160 last week. Lovely condition, one previous owner, with many but not all of the features that I could wish for but not afford; so be it. Importantly there is Apple CarPlay, with the socket in the centre armrest console and a 12V socket in the front centre console.

There are many wireless CarPlay adapters on the market, and a thriving thread at Macrumors.com where most of the current models are discussed. My preference is a Podofo model that is perhaps not sold any more, but either way popped that into the console and Hey Presto. So far so good.

I really miss the wireless charger that was built in to the front centre console. I searched the web and came up with variants of this device: For Mercedes Benz W205 AMG C43 C63 GLC43 GLC63 X253 15W car QI wireless charging phone charger fast charging case accessories (this example from AliExpress but to be found also on Amazon). However I realise that when inserted it will prevent the flap from closing. As I now use MagSafe charging a lot I hit on a simple solution: a couple of Tesa strips and the MagSafe charger is stuck to the underside of the flap. Obviously it cannot nor should it be closed when in use (overheating!) but when not in use the flap closes as usual. I had to reset the charger away from the edge of the flap to prevent it fouling on the cupholder. But what of a power source that also does not prevent the flap from closing? I bought a Syncwire 60W USB C Car Charger - [PD PPS 30W & QC 3.0] All Metal USB C Cigarette Lighter Socket Quick for iPhone, Google Pixel, Samsung (the link is from Amazon Belgium, your mileage may vary) that is ultra compact, high power, and has a spare USB-A socket for your passenger.

Sharing, because I remember that during the worst of the chip shortages a number of wireless chargers were deleted from orders and anyway perhaps this solution will suit others.

Wireless charger in front centre console SOLVED!
The following users liked this post:
Paul9900 (01-17-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
That works. I ran a wire under the console and mounted it on the side so I could charge and use GPS at the same time.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43

Old 01-26-2024, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 C300
The built in wireless charger doesn’t have a fan. My phone gets very hot if I use it.