C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

P033931 Position sensor 1 for the crankshaft has a sporadic malfunction. The signal i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 c200 2015
Angry P033931 Position sensor 1 for the crankshaft has a sporadic malfunction. The signal i

I have c 220 Blutec w 205 2014. Yesterday it could not change gears until it reached 4000rpm, which happened after I tried to change to manual gears. Immediately I sent it to the service where I made oil+filter replacements, (engine + gear 2 days before) Which gave me the health report above. Made a removal of the trouble code and after that, we made a driving test which was perfectly fine. After 2 hours I went driving again and when accelerating it happened a shock/blocking which felt when the car accelerates to the maximum. After that, the gears repeat the same problem that cannot change gears until 4000rpm (at this stage the car loses the full acceleration). Today I sent it to another technician who made another computer diagnostic that resulted only in the "P033931 Position sensor 1 for the crankshaft has a sporadic malfunction". After removing the trouble code to make a driving test, the car did not give any problem at all, although I made 100 miles for the test, still testing today. Any idea what it might be?
Old 05-09-2024, 12:09 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
You are reading what is wrong. There is a spring in the crankshaft that the sensor looks at and when the sensor does not see it properly in can not read where the crankshaft is. According to what I'm reading, the ECM is not getting a signal from the sensor so that sensor could be bad and it could be a simple repair.
The following users liked this post:
Klajd93 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:49 PM

w205 c200 2015
I made a 50miles drive test today as I said before. I went perfectly fine but after the 1-hour break, I started to turn back to my city and then in the traffic the car started to begin the problems, first it turned off in the traffic, immediately I turned it on and continued until I found somewhere to park (5min away). It turned on with a little bit of difficulties and continued to have gears being changed at 4000rpm and not power at acceleration. At the next roundabout, it gave the shock/blocking again, and right after that it turned on the check engine light. I continued driving home and changed the gears manually along the road, of course not more than 80km/h. I hope it will be that sensor you previously said. Thank you for your answer. Hopefully tomorrow I will get an answer and tell you what the cause will be.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:51 AM

w205 c200 2015
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
You are reading what is wrong. There is a spring in the crankshaft that the sensor looks at and when the sensor does not see it properly in can not read where the crankshaft is. According to what I'm reading, the ECM is not getting a signal from the sensor so that sensor could be bad and it could be a simple repair.
I replaced it with a new sensor, and nothing changed. Still keeping the crankshaft sensor as in the picture below. We also made an electrical check with also for the wires, and everything is all right. After that, we checked the head unit which was fine, also the flywheel was perfectly fine ( we doubted that after the oil & filter of the gearbox changing some damage could have happened).
The only error keeping is the P0336-Crankshaft position sensor.
The car has blind spot assist inoperative, if It might be needed or related.
I think it has an electrical problem that might create problems. But we can not decide.
Any idea about it, has anyone had a previous problem like this?

Old 05-15-2024, 03:45 AM

w205 c200 2015
We replaced the crankshaft sensor and the computer unit, checked the wiring and the flywheel (doubted it could have been damaged during gearbox oil and filter replacement). Everything is good. But still keeps the same error, p0336-like in the picture below.
The car has blind spot assist inoperative, don't know if it can be related.
We think it is an electrical problem somewhere.
Does anyone have had the same problems before?

Old 05-15-2024, 01:34 PM

w205 c200 2015
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
We replaced the crankshaft sensor and the computer unit, checked the wiring and the flywheel (doubted it could have been damaged during gearbox oil and filter replacement). Everything is good. But still keeps the same error, p0336-like in the picture below.The car has blind spot assist inoperative, don't know if it can be related.We think it is an electrical problem somewhere, or a software update is needed. Any idea about this?

P.s we tried to start the engine without the crankshaft, and it started. This was the strangest part that could have happened and the mechanical engineer confirmed this to me.

Last edited by Klajd93; 05-15-2024 at 01:38 PM.