C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 de not starting after a rear accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2024 | 12:16 PM

C300 de not starting after a rear accident

Hi Merc friends,

My brother in France placed a bid on a crashed 2021 C300 de 20k miles on the odometer, but then he realized that he had missed the most important detail: The car doesn't start.

I understand Diesel/Electric isn't not offered in the US, but I'm hoping it won't be much different than C300 e with the same battery.

I'm not familiar with PHEV, I understand there is an electric motor between the engine and the gearbox, but does that mean that the car won't start unless the high voltage battery can feed it? Does the car also have the regular 12v starter pulling from the 12v battery, and the electric engine would just hang in there, or even better recharge the battery while the engine is spinning?

When checking the high voltage circuit in WIS I found this pyrofuse, does anyone have any experience with crashed hybrid Mercedes please? I understand ME will likely need to enable engine start from Xentry, but I'm mostly worried about anything electric. If you have any experience with crashed hybrids, please let me know what could await for me, of course nothing replaces an actual scan, but to hear your thoughts would be very helpful.

Last edited by amandine; 10-09-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add attachments
Old 10-09-2024 | 02:29 PM

2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by amandine
Hi Merc friends,

My brother in France placed a bid on a crashed 2021 C300 de 20k miles on the odometer, but then he realized that he had missed the most important detail: The car doesn't start.

I understand Diesel/Electric isn't not offered in the US, but I'm hoping it won't be much different than C300 e with the same battery.

I'm not familiar with PHEV, I understand there is an electric motor between the engine and the gearbox, but does that mean that the car won't start unless the high voltage battery can feed it? Does the car also have the regular 12v starter pulling from the 12v battery, and the electric engine would just hang in there, or even better recharge the battery while the engine is spinning?

When checking the high voltage circuit in WIS I found this pyrofuse, does anyone have any experience with crashed hybrid Mercedes please? I understand ME will likely need to enable engine start from Xentry, but I'm mostly worried about anything electric. If you have any experience with crashed hybrids, please let me know what could await for me, of course nothing replaces an actual scan, but to hear your thoughts would be very helpful.

You really need to scan the car. In an accident, I know the fuel pump is disabled, and other systems may be shut off for safety. Without a scan, it's difficult to determine the cause of a no-start.
The following users liked this post:
amandine (10-09-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 07:19 PM

That makes sense, I will get a Xentry report, I hope Passthru won't be an issue and will read all modules. I just realized that might be an other concern.