C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Car rocking at 70/80 mph, and weird crackling noise from driver dash area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W206
Car rocking at 70/80 mph, and weird crackling noise from driver dash area

Hi all, I own a 2022 c class with 2700 miles on it. Recently weve started seeing two issues -

on a highway drive we realized that the car is rocking at high speeds, around 70/80mph. The car doesn't go in a straight line,, and the rear feels like a train or a boat. We've driven over potholes and such, wonder if those could have caused this?

We've also noted a crackling noise, sort of like radio static, from the driver dash area. Happens intermittently, only when I'm accelerating and not when I'm cruising. It doesn't seem to happen from another profile, and in comfort drive, but I'm unsure if those are just coincidences.

Anyone else seen something like this?

This is my first time owning a Mercedes, so would appreciate any idea of what to expect when we take it in. Thank you so much, and apologies for any mistakes in the post.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 535 Posts
c
You could try getting the dealer to do road force balancing on the wheels/tires - otherwise the next thing is an alignment, which you'll likely have to pay for..

Old 09-18-2022, 11:27 PM

W206
Originally Posted by alexasa
You could try getting the dealer to do road force balancing on the wheels/tires - otherwise the next thing is an alignment, which you'll likely have to pay for..
Thanks. I expected as much. You sure it it's the wheels? I'm worried about not being able to describe the issue correctly and having to go back.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
C300
I had a similar noise issue with my W206. In my case it was more like a rattling noise which was becoming audible at 2500-3500 rpms, coming from behind the steering wheel. Is it the same for you? If you could send me a video, I can verify if it is the same noise. In my case it took 4 visits and over 40 days for the service to fix the issue. If it is the same problem, I can provide further information about the source of the noise.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:08 AM
Kyr

C180
Originally Posted by Benea
I had a similar noise issue with my W206. In my case it was more like a rattling noise which was becoming audible at 2500-3500 rpms, coming from behind the steering wheel. Is it the same for you? If you could send me a video, I can verify if it is the same noise. In my case it took 4 visits and over 40 days for the service to fix the issue. If it is the same problem, I can provide further information about the source of the noise.
Hi can you share some more info?i have a rattling noise that is driving me crazy.starts at 2500-3200approximately somewhere in the dash behind the steering wheel.
i have not taken it in yet because I am sure they will need to dismantle a lot of stuff and pretty sure this will not be a one visit repair.so any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-13-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Kyr
Hi can you share some more info?i have a rattling noise that is driving me crazy.starts at 2500-3200approximately somewhere in the dash behind the steering wheel.
i have not taken it in yet because I am sure they will need to dismantle a lot of stuff and pretty sure this will not be a one visit repair.so any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Here is the info from the service record:
"1496 BEGIN SEARCHING FOR RATTLING NOISE, REMOVE WIPERS AND COWL COVERINGS, REMOVE CROSS BRACES AND INSPECT AND TEST DRIVE, noise is still present, inspect hoses and hard lines, install sound dampening material to hard lines, remove cowl and wiper motor, soften all hard touching lines and test drive, noise is still present, reassemble vehicle, remove EVAP purge valve and retest, removing purge valve to isolate vibrations symptom was still present, found noise gets worse with heat, check turbo waste gate rod, ok, check interior of vehicle, traced noise under driver side foot well, with help of another technician, hold rpm's and listened under dash on driver side, found noise can be manipulated by pressing on heater box, determined to remove dashboard and access heater box, loosen heater box and adjust accordingly, add sound dampening material between firewall and heater box, isolate any hard lines behind dash, reassemble interior of vehicle, perform test drive, noise i s no longer audible to multiple technicians, check in all rpm's and load ranges, symptom did not return."
The following users liked this post:
teksurv (07-13-2023)