Replacing run-flats with standard tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C200 2022
Replacing run-flats with standard tires

Hello Everyone,

I had a W206 equipped with 19-inch run-flat tires. Unfortunately, both front tires were damaged due to road potholes, so I temporarily replaced them with regular tires. However, I've noticed a significant difference in the car's handling, especially during kick-down maneuvers.

Now, I'm planning to purchase two new front tires, and I'm seeking your recommendations and insights on the following options:
  1. Replace the two front tires with run-flat tires.
  2. Swap all four tires with regular or standard tires, instead of run-flats.
I'm interested in understanding the implications of Option 2. Some individuals have mentioned concerns that certain cars are designed for run-flat tires only, and using standard tires might affect the pressure monitoring system. Your advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:34 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by Sam.Reda
Hello Everyone,

I had a W206 equipped with 19-inch run-flat tires. Unfortunately, both front tires were damaged due to road potholes, so I temporarily replaced them with regular tires. However, I've noticed a significant difference in the car's handling, especially during kick-down maneuvers.

Now, I'm planning to purchase two new front tires, and I'm seeking your recommendations and insights on the following options:
I'm interested in understanding the implications of Option 2. Some individuals have mentioned concerns that certain cars are designed for run-flat tires only, and using standard tires might affect the pressure monitoring system. Your advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
MB themselves admitted that run-flats have reduced ride quality, which is why they partnered with manufactures to create MOE (Mercedes original extended) tires. The main reason they have switched to RF tires is to decrease the weight necessary for a spare and jack: "Carmakers are skipping the spare because of regulatory pressure to squeeze more miles out of every gallon of fuel: Ditching the 40 or 50 pounds that a tire and jack usually add to a car’s weight helps to increase fuel economy slightly. (It also incidentally increases automakers’ profits because they don’t have to pay for those parts.)"

I doubt regular tires would be incompatible with the TPMS. If you decide to get non-run flats, make sure to get the Tirefit or other sealant system which MB includes with factory non-runflats.

Last edited by 818benz; 10-18-2023 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sam.Reda (10-20-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 03:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Sam.Reda
Hello Everyone,

Can the 206 run without run flats; Yes. However, remember with run-flats your side wall is significantly stronger than your std tire. This has great implications for pothole resistance and not bending the wheels. Personally, I would not mix run-flats and regular ones. The tire pattern notwithstanding, you will get different rebound rates from the front to rear axle. I just had to replace one of the Goodyear run-flats due to a puncture. I'm glad I got the tire protection package because it was 650$ so for 1200 roughly for 2 run-flats you can ger pretty close to getting all 4 regular if you choose to .

Last edited by KE5TNY; 10-18-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Sam.Reda (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 AMG W206
i have done this in my W205, the first 2 years with run flat tires and after that i started to use normal tires. no problem at all, at the contrary , u will feel less noise
Old 10-19-2023, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C200 2022
Originally Posted by karimdxb
i have done this in my W205, the first 2 years with run flat tires and after that i started to use normal tires. no problem at all, at the contrary , u will feel less noise
Which type of tires you use ya Kareem, and what was your wheel size ?
Old 10-20-2023, 03:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 AMG W206
i had 255/35R 19Y & 225/40R 19Y Zeetex

but i used them in my old W205
now in my W 206 i will stick to Runflat tyre for 2 or 3 years
Sam.Reda (10-20-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 350
I have a wagon. Where do you put in a spare tire?