Rattle/Fluttering noise going over bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 , 2016 Mazda6
Rattle/Fluttering noise going over bumps

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my 2024 C300 that seems a bit odd for a brand new car. I got it in Dec '23 but it's '24 MY. When going over bumps on the road(imperfections) there is a bit of rattle/flutter noise coming through. I took it to dealership and asked them to check it out but they said they couldn't find anything out of order. They even did the multipoint inspection on the car. It's a strange flutter, as if some loose body panel or some plastic is fluttering against the body(plastic on plastic). I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if they found out what it could be. It doesn't sound like a suspension noise and the car drive fantastic, it's just this fluttering noise that cheapens the experience of driving it. Thanks,
Emil
Old 03-21-2024, 10:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
I had a very annoying squeaky noise coming from the rear seat every time I drove over some bumps, and eventually I figured it was the latch in the rear right seat. I put little grease and now it’s gone.

The following 3 users liked this post by giovane:
818benz (03-24-2024), emilbadal (03-21-2024), karimdxb (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:37 PM

Thank you so much! I actually think I have that squeak in my car too. It's on rear right corner of the cabin also
Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 PM

So I finally got some time and will to spend on finding out the source of the rattling/fluttering sound coming from the front of the car yhat I posted about in the first post.I found the big one but I'm pretty sure that there's another one which is less noticeable. So the bigger source is the engine cover rattling against the heatshield bracket of the turbo. You can see the marring on bothe heatshield bracket and the engine cover.

I also attached a video of the cover rattling when I flick the plastic cover. I took off the cover and threw it in the trunk and went for a test drive, the majority of the rattles went away. However there's still a faint rattle coming from the driver side but that sounds way farther and lower than the engine cover one. I then popped the cover back in and the rattle came back. My only hope is that the ball joint mounts of the cover on the engine are adjustable in height, I didn't get to look into them as the exhaust was way too and I did't feel like messing with the car today.
Attached Files

Last edited by emilbadal; 04-11-2024 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:38 PM

Update on this issue. As I added four1/4inch washers as spacers under the front left snap pole for the cover and raised up the cover just enough that it doesn't rattle against the heatshield anymore. The big rattle went away but there is still another similar rattle that still remains. This faint rattle seems to be coming from the driver side and it's further down in the engine bay. I did some more digging and there seems to be a sensor or something that's attached to the radiator that's fairly loose and makes noise when flicked. I will post further updates once I find out what this issue fix is.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by emilbadal
So I finally got some time and will to spend on finding out the source of the rattling/fluttering sound coming from the front of the car yhat I posted about in the first post.I found the big one but I'm pretty sure that there's another one which is less noticeable. So the bigger source is the engine cover rattling against the heatshield bracket of the turbo. You can see the marring on bothe heatshield bracket and the engine cover.

I also attached a video of the cover rattling when I flick the plastic cover. I took off the cover and threw it in the trunk and went for a test drive, the majority of the rattles went away. However there's still a faint rattle coming from the driver side but that sounds way farther and lower than the engine cover one. I then popped the cover back in and the rattle came back. My only hope is that the ball joint mounts of the cover on the engine are adjustable in height, I didn't get to look into them as the exhaust was way too and I did't feel like messing with the car today.
Originally Posted by emilbadal
Update on this issue. As I added four1/4inch washers as spacers under the front left snap pole for the cover and raised up the cover just enough that it doesn't rattle against the heatshield anymore. The big rattle went away but there is still another similar rattle that still remains. This faint rattle seems to be coming from the driver side and it's further down in the engine bay. I did some more digging and there seems to be a sensor or something that's attached to the radiator that's fairly loose and makes noise when flicked. I will post further updates once I find out what this issue fix is.
Good job OP good for you on the DIY fix
The following users liked this post:
emilbadal (04-16-2024)