Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
Thumbs up Fox News video and print review of the 2012 CLS63

Good stuff here:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...enz-cls63-amg/

In the video, the car being driven is equipped with the performance package and the carbon fiber interior trim. Looks like the one floating its way toward me, except for the exterior and interior colors.

The reviewer says that if you press the accelerator in most cars, the car moves down the road, as one would expect, but with the CLS63, the accelerator causes the world to spin under the car.

I think my favorite feature is the "Econ" mode, which shuts the engine off when the car comes to a stop. I'll never use it, of course, but it enabled the car to barely escape the gas guzzler tax. Very sneaky, Mercedes.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by SouthernNC
Good stuff here:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...enz-cls63-amg/

In the video, the car being driven is equipped with the performance package and the carbon fiber interior trim. Looks like the one floating its way toward me, except for the exterior and interior colors.

The reviewer says that if you press the accelerator in most cars, the car moves down the road, as one would expect, but with the CLS63, the accelerator causes the world to spin under the car.

I think my favorite feature is the "Econ" mode, which shuts the engine off when the car comes to a stop. I'll never use it, of course, but it enabled the car to barely escape the gas guzzler tax. Very sneaky, Mercedes.
Yup, and from what I understand, the "ECO" mode is engaged only when you set the transmission to "C"omfort mode.

I don't think I will ever use that mode....never did even with my previous CLS63.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Centurion
Yup, and from what I understand, the "ECO" mode is engaged only when you set the transmission to "C"omfort mode.

I don't think I will ever use that mode....never did even with my previous CLS63.
Unfortunately the "Eco" mode is a default selection that comes on each time you start the car. It is not desirable, but maybe necessary to beat the US gas guzzler tax. Fortunately, it can be disabled either by a button on the dash or by selecting a sport or manual mode for the transmission. However, you have to disable it every time after you start the car. This (along with the park button you have to use) are distractions and inconviences, but I suppose minor.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Why is the start-stop feature undesirable except in one or two specific instances?

It's a seamless feature that works when you're not moving in traffic and saves fuel. I could understand turning it off when sitting at the dragstrip or at a redlight when you want to "race in Mexico," but other than that, it saves fuel and is unobtrusive. Sounds desirable to me.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
Why is the start-stop feature undesirable except in one or two specific instances?

It's a seamless feature that works when you're not moving in traffic and saves fuel. I could understand turning it off when sitting at the dragstrip or at a redlight when you want to "race in Mexico," but other than that, it saves fuel and is unobtrusive. Sounds desirable to me.

Perhaps I should wait for my car to arrive before commenting, but it is my understanding that the A/C goes off when the engine stops. Here in the Southern U.S., this is not a good thing during the summer.

And second, of course, the eco mode shifts gears at lower points, and consequently reduces the acceleration rate. It's perfectly fine to have that as an option, but if the car defaults to that mode each time it's turned on, that's just plain annoying. I wonder if the crack technicians in the shop can get into the programming, and switch the default mode to something a bit more lively.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Yes, the car defaults to the ECO mode everytime you start the car.
But, you can program the 'AMG' button to your specific driving style.

After I start up, I immediately press the 'AMG' button once and voila!

A small price to pay to avoid the GG tax.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by SouthernNC
Perhaps I should wait for my car to arrive before commenting, but it is my understanding that the A/C goes off when the engine stops. Here in the Southern U.S., this is not a good thing during the summer.
This is incorrect. Give MBZ a bit more credit for knowing what their customer base wants and would not accept. The start/stop feature only activates under certain conditions, namely when the electronics system is fully charged and capable of supporting all functions (A/C included) without engine power. MB knows better than to expect their clients to sit in a sweltering hot $120,000 vehicle. The start/stop feature was seamless in the car I experienced.

And second, of course, the eco mode shifts gears at lower points, and consequently reduces the acceleration rate. It's perfectly fine to have that as an option, but if the car defaults to that mode each time it's turned on, that's just plain annoying. I wonder if the crack technicians in the shop can get into the programming, and switch the default mode to something a bit more lively.
From what I've read & what I've experienced, the "C" comfort mode is a typical comfort mode. Mash the accelerator, it does what any other AMG would do--accelerate at full blast. Give it a leisurely driving style, however, and it will shift at lower RPM and help save fuel. Unless you plan to floor it everywhere you'll never notice.