Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
ecm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63, 2015 GL63
Performance Package

I am looking at the 2012 CLS 63 and am wondering what effect the Performance Package has on the car's ride. With the sport suspension, I assume it significantly improves the handling, but not sure how much more stiff the ride becomes vs the standard AMG suspension, additional harshness, etc. Anyone have any insight on that?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by ecm
I am looking at the 2012 CLS 63 and am wondering what effect the Performance Package has on the car's ride. With the sport suspension, I assume it significantly improves the handling, but not sure how much more stiff the ride becomes vs the standard AMG suspension, additional harshness, etc. Anyone have any insight on that?
I don't think you would notice unless really pushing the car. the ride is stiffer but still amazingly comfy
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by juicee63
I don't think you would notice unless really pushing the car. the ride is stiffer but still amazingly comfy

yup, so true

i have it and you don't feel the car is stiff alot. well depends on the road.

but it is comfy and the handling is way better than my E55k. it is very accurate and sharp.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
Originally Posted by ecm
I will admit the effect of the Performance Package on the ride is a bit confusing to me. With any CLS63 (with or without the Performance Package), you can choose "Comfort," "Sport," or "Sport+." I gather that the Performance Package firms up the ride across all three options.

I got the Performance Package on mine, and I love the choices that result. The "Comfort" mode ain't like my father's Lincoln Town Car, I can tell you that. No sensation that you're floating down the road on a king-size mattress. "Comfort" is plenty well-connected to the road, and a good choice for interstate cruising or city pothole dodging. Under most conditions, I choose the S setting. A bit more feedback, but not harsh. If I'm pushing it up a twisty but reasonably smooth mountain road, S+ is the way to go.

Since I've not driven a CLS63 without the Performance Package, I'm in no position to comment on it, but my guess is that S+ on a non-PP car is roughly equivalent to S on a PP car. I am confident that the suspension on even a non-Performance Package CLS63 is superior to 99% of the cars on the road, however.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by SouthernNC
I will admit the effect of the Performance Package on the ride is a bit confusing to me. With any CLS63 (with or without the Performance Package), you can choose "Comfort," "Sport," or "Sport+." I gather that the Performance Package firms up the ride across all three options.
I think that those settings are for the transmission, not for the suspension.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
I think that those settings are for the transmission, not for the suspension.
No, he's correct. Those are the three modes for suspension.

For transmission, it's very similar. The CLS63 has Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Manual.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
2012 CLS63 AMG drive unit knob settings

Amen.

"Of course, if you're in the mood for a spot of performance driving, you're better turning the AMG Drive Unit knob on the center console to Sport, Sport Plus or Manual modes on the drivetrain anyhow to optimize the suspension firmness, throttle, brake and gearbox responses for a more entertaining experience"

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/21/2...iew-road-test/