C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

First two problems with my 2012 CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
First two problems with my 2012 CLS63

Two problems have cropped up; one routine, one, well, different.

The routine one is a cracked windshield. Evidently, a stone hit it, though I didn't notice it at the time. When I got in the car this morning, there it was -- a crack about 15 inches long, on the passenger side of the windshield. If anyone is curious, new windshields cost $1820. Not covered by warranty, of course, as it was clearly caused by impact from debris, but insurance will take care of all other than my $100 deductible. I've been driving for more years than I care to admit, but I've never had to have a windshield replaced. Sort of a bummer that it happened on a 2-month-old car, but these things happen. No replacement windshield in the dealer inventory, but they are in U.S. warehouses, so I should be good to go in 3 days.

The other problem is bizarre, and rather humorous. I rarely use my horn (this ain't New York), but when I did for the first time last week, I heard a loud, rapidly repeating chirping sound, followed by a synthesized female voice saying "laser, rear." What? I tried the horn again. Same thing. Yep, when I blow the horn, it sets off the laser detector. Sort of like flipping a light switch, and having a nearby faucet gush water. Disconcerting, to say the least.

Fortunately, the radar/laser detector was installed by the dealer, and they'll take care of it. Perhaps they used the horn fuse for the connection.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
I only have one issue with mine. The sunroof cover isn't installed very tight so even under medium acceleration will open 1/4 of the way. Under braking it will close. It's impossible to keep closed and you can hear it constantly opening and banging closed as you drive around.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I only have one issue with mine. The sunroof cover isn't installed very tight so even under medium acceleration will open 1/4 of the way. Under braking it will close. It's impossible to keep closed and you can hear it constantly opening and banging closed as you drive around.
This must be a CLS thing. LOL!
This happened with my 2007 CLS63 and is happening again with my 2012 CLS63.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
Originally Posted by Centurion
This must be a CLS thing. LOL!
This happened with my 2007 CLS63 and is happening again with my 2012 CLS63.
Well, the sunroof thing may be something to look forward to, when I try "medium acceleration." Thus far, I haven't done a standing quarter mile in under 13 seconds, even though 12 flat is achievable -- so I have read.

But seriously, hasn't your dealership been able to solve this?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I have the same issue cause im blasting my car from a dig and its the same issue I had with my CL65 too... the dealer fixed on my 65 by installing something the created more friction but even then I could move the cover. I look at this way: if it aint moving back you aint moving fast enough
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernNC
Well, the sunroof thing may be something to look forward to, when I try "medium acceleration." Thus far, I haven't done a standing quarter mile in under 13 seconds, even though 12 flat is achievable -- so I have read.

But seriously, hasn't your dealership been able to solve this?
Luckily for me, it's not that big of an issue.
I'm not going to let that spoil my fun.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
My sunroof does the same thing. The only other problem I've had is a faulty window regulator (more annoying than disabling).
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

2012 MB CLS63, 2012 Le Man Red SLS
I had the same issue with my sunroof. The dealer added some lub and made it tighter.

I thought I had a rear window regular problem, because every time I close my rear right window, it would make this plastic on plastic sound. It turns out that there was clip hitting the window regulator. They adjusted the fit and everything is back to the normal again.

Had a rattle in the front glovebox. They added a two inch felt tape and the rattle went away.

Overall, I am happy with the car so far as there are no major problems. I had more problems on my 2011 S550, which is not a first year production model.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 PM

10' C63, 99' 4Runner 250K miles!
Sorry to hear about your windshield.

My C63 has had the windshield cracked twice in the last 3 months and I stay far away from dump trucks and the like. The first crack was small and very low on the windshield where's it was pure luck that I even saw it before it got big. It was repaired and seems to be fine. Tonight on the way home (after having someone bump into the back of my car this morning while stopped) a pebble or something hit the middle of my windshield leaving a chip. What a bad commute today!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Geez!
Damage on the way to work and damage on the way back home.
Sorry to hear that.

At least these are material things that can be repaired and like new again. You, on the other hand, walked away unscratched.

Food for thought (regarding your rear bumper)....maybe this is an opportunity to get an aftermarket bumper for the rear AND front.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:28 PM

10' C63, 99' 4Runner 250K miles!
Yeah really no big deal, it was just one of those days. After those two incidents and being stuck in slow moving traffic I was having a major urge to take a detour to certain road for some spirited driving, but then thought better of the idea. I’m not superstitious, but it didn’t seem like a good day for tempting fate.

That’s good idea about the aftermarket bumpers, but I think the bumper damage will be hard to see if you aren’t looking for it. I think what my car needs the most, is a tune!