C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

VIC!!!!! YOUR HREs ARE HERE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by freefall
I know I babble but I did address this:

the HREs I think I am going with the Michelins but am open for advice.
When I say I am open for advice I mean you tell me....

HRE tires will be more for the street and quick blasts...you know the drill. I just really want them to stick but at the same time don't want to deal with any rubbing.

THoughts?
Ok if you have the exact same set up as I do:

20x9 and 20x11 with the same HRE offsets along with a good drop via KW- you will possibly rub with Micheline Pilots. Why? Because the Pilots are a very "square tire" and they run very tall- its a gamble if you are dropped. If not you should be fine.

If you want to make sure you dont rub (and you have your other wheels for tracking) go with a rounder shorter tire like a Hankook Ventus V12 (I have them on both benzes). They are not as good as the PSS's but its not the role they play. They are an everyday tire with good dry and wet grip and they wont rub even if you slam your ride. I push mine to the limits daily and enjoy the results. These cars are not sports cars anyway they are GT cruisers with some trackability.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ok if you have the exact same set up as I do:

20x9 and 20x11 with the same HRE offsets along with a good drop via KW- you will possibly rub with Micheline Pilots. Why? Because the Pilots are a very "square tire" and they run very tall- its a gamble if you are dropped. If not you should be fine.

If you want to make sure you dont rub (and you have your other wheels for tracking) go with a rounder shorter tire like a Hankook Ventus V12 (I have them on both benzes). They are not as good as the PSS's but its not the role they play. They are an everyday tire with good dry and wet grip and they wont rub even if you slam your ride. I push mine to the limits daily and enjoy the results. These cars are not sports cars anyway they are GT cruisers with some trackability.
That's not the first time Ive heard this and also that the V12s are a very good bang for your buck. Did you say something about the walls of the V12 being shorter or something in a past post? Our cars should be identical with the drop and ordered wheels...you introduced me to the team and I said I'll have what he's having....
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
That's not the first time Ive heard this and also that the V12s are a very good bang for your buck. Did you say something about the walls of the V12 being shorter or something in a past post? Our cars should be identical with the drop and ordered wheels...you introduced me to the team and I said I'll have what he's having....
Generally the Hankooks, Toyos, Nittos, and a few others have a more rounded sidewall which allows for more aggressive drops while keeping same width tires. In our case we are talking about 305x25x20 tires and the PSS's are great tires but they would be oh so close to rubbing. Its a close call but once you mount the tires you cant return them and the PSS's are price.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Considering people spend huge $$$ for these specific HREs due to obvious build quality and especially performance attributes (huge weight savings vs. others), then Micheline Pilots should be the only tire considered - they ride so much better that Hankook V12s on any MB, handle far superior as their high price of admission (which on this board should be a no issue) suggests. Yes they may rub when lowered, so then lower a bit less. If any tires (as long as they fit) will do since "these are GTs and are not racing cars" - why then buy AMGs and HREs, etc. in the first place? Tires are the most important part of overall ride and handling envelope difference (everything else being equal of course).
Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Considering people spend huge $$$ for these specific HREs due to obvious build quality and especially performance attributes (huge weight savings vs. others), then Micheline Pilots should be the only tire considered - they ride so much better that Hankook V12s on any MB, handle far superior as their high price of admission (which on this board should be a no issue) suggests. Yes they may rub when lowered, so then lower a bit less. If any tires (as long as they fit) will do since "these are GTs and are not racing cars" - why then buy AMGs and HREs, etc. in the first place? Tires are the most important part of overall ride and handling envelope difference (everything else being equal of course).
Great points.

Our cars are indeed GT cruisers that weigh almost if not 4300 lbs. Ive had 6 AMG's and none of them were ever true sports cars IMHO. The HRE's that Jason has and the ones I have are not racing wheels. HRE does make great racing wheels though but we are not rolling on them.

Based on my personal experience and I push my cars very hard in the regular world (running past 150 mph daily and hitting hard turns and high spend benders), the Hankooks are excellent. Again my factual opinion based on two current M157 AMG cars with 560 whp. Most people will not come close to maximizing out their tires on a daily basis. I have PSS's on my 997.2TT PDK- a very appropriate tire for a daily sports car (arguable as some may say its a GT car) and Bridgestones on my GTR which traps well over 130 mph... both better tires than the Kooks but I think, knowing Jason, that choosing 20 inch wheels and KW suspension leans more towards form than function (but not to a level where he cant still crush it on the street ). The Kooks allow him to keep his all important drop. Its his call though, just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Both of you...great info for real. This is why I hang here. Both agree that the Michelins are better but scarifies will have to be made to the drop. I get it.

I don't want to start something here either but I do believe that the CLS AMG 63 5.5TT is the best all around car in the world. I car pool, want to drag it and run it on a track. What other car can I do this in without getting into a hideous BWM or Panamera. I believe that AMG is one of the best race companies in the world....and that it should have kicks to match.

Vic - I hear you and I agree in that there are so many other cars I should be tracking but I think I really showed some people on Sat what this things can do and its fun surprising them and I plan to surprise them a lot more.

Also Vic- A friend told me that the only way to get you to the track is to have the event start un the afternoon....
Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Both of you...great info for real. This is why I hang here. Both agree that the Michelins are better but scarifies will have to be made to the drop. I get it.

I don't want to start something here either but I do believe that the CLS AMG 63 5.5TT is the best all around car in the world. I car pool, want to drag it and run it on a track. What other car can I do this in without getting into a hideous BWM or Panamera. I believe that AMG is one of the best race companies in the world....and that it should have kicks to match.

Vic - I hear you and I agree in that there are so many other cars I should be tracking but I think I really showed some people on Sat what this things can do and its fun surprising them and I plan to surprise them a lot more.

Also Vic- A friend told me that the only way to get you to the track is to have the event start un the afternoon....
Excuse the spelling above...running out to dinner but rather stay here and talk about this....sick....
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Track away my good friend!!! You have the wheels and tires for that purpose and you have the wheels and tires for the streets of Orange County too!!!!!

Enjoy your car!!! I am too- but I do think the Pan TT (if you can get over the looks) is the car on twisties. In person they do so much more for me than on paper.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Thank you man...this is the final touch on the outside. Trying very hard to be patient cause the install is going to have to wait until next week. I still can't over how its driving after we put the KW coil overs on too. So happy!
KW makes coilovers for the 2012 cls63?

i tried their website and they dont list any products for mercedes for 2012..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 AM

Track away my good friend!!! You have the wheels and tires for that purpose and you have the wheels and tires for the streets of Orange County too!!!!!

Enjoy your car!!! I am too- but I do think the Pan TT (if you can get over the looks) is the car on twisties. In person they do so much more for me than on paper.
I hate to say that I have seen a couple of really, really nice white with black trim Pan TT. Came real close myself...was on a mailing list for at least a year before that car came out...you probably were too. Went to test drive it and before I got in I puked in my mouth....they have gotten better but its also what 50Kish more?

BMWs are awesome and scare me....but they really need to hire a new designer...the whole line up sans the M6 sucks.

And thank you for the subtle in regards to the KW coil overs that Mainly is going to buy from me.....

Originally Posted by mainly

There are amazing and changed my car...little north of a grand installed if I remember correctly. Looks like I need to talk to someone about a better track suspension that I can roll on the streets with...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Yep- they have been out for quite some time- not sure why its not on their website. In fact the CLS KW's are the same ones used for the E63 and not vice a versa.

I have the same exact set on both my CLS and Wagon.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 AM

I hate to say that I have seen a couple of really, really nice white with black trim Pan TT. Came real close myself...was on a mailing list for at least a year before that car came out...you probably were too. Went to test drive it and before I got in I puked in my mouth....they have gotten better but its also what 50Kish more?

BMWs are awesome and scare me....but they really need to hire a new designer...the whole line up sans the M6 sucks.

And thank you for the subtle in regards to the KW coil overs that Mainly is going to buy from me.....

There are amazing and changed my car...little north of a grand installed if I remember correctly. Looks like I need to talk to someone about a better track suspension that I can roll on the streets with...
I'm buying them from you? you're selling them?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM

I'm buying them from you? you're selling them?
Mainly, I'm sorry. I am very sarcastic and we often end up here. My apologies.

The KW system I have now is great. They lower the stance of the car and helps to prevent roll. The air-matic system is still in full effect and on comfort mode the ride is fine. Nothing is done to the rear. The rear is controlled through the ECU, isn't that correct Vic?

If you look at my signature below you can see my car rolling which isn't what I want on the track per se. I may need a higher end system and if I do this set comes off.....and the joke was I would sell them to you.

My wife drives this car and if its just the four of us in the family going someplace we take this car. Nobody really notices the difference....they were annoyed before the mods....
Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 AM

Mainly, I'm sorry. I am very sarcastic and we often end up here. My apologies.

The KW system I have now is great. They lower the stance of the car and helps to prevent roll. The air-matic system is still in full effect and on comfort mode the ride is fine. Nothing is done to the rear. The rear is controlled through the ECU, isn't that correct Vic?

If you look at my signature below you can see my car rolling which isn't what I want on the track per se. I may need a higher end system and if I do this set comes off.....and the joke was I would sell them to you.

My wife drives this car and if its just the four of us in the family going someplace we take this car. Nobody really notices the difference....they were annoyed before the mods....
no problem. I thought I missed a few posts or somehing. otherwise figured you were just kidding.

yeah I'm thinking about getting them to improve the handling. I don't really have a problem with the ride height. or maybe it's more the tires that are at fault. when i take a corner at any kind of speed, it feels as if the car is struggling to hold on to it's grip. my previous car,i could slingshot around just about any corner. even accelerate through them...

so I will be looking into the coil overs and change the tires I guess. if that doesn't get me where I want I may just get rid of the car. and get into some
thing that handles better.

Last edited by mainly; 06-16-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
The KW system I have now is great. They lower the stance of the car and helps to prevent roll. The air-matic system is still in full effect and on comfort mode the ride is fine. Nothing is done to the rear.
You were saying in another post that they "dialed" the coil-overs. What does it mean? I'm like Mainly, I don't really want to lower the car but because of the car weight, i would take more handling in cornering. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator

This is correct, the rear is still airmatic so your stiffness is controlled on the inside via the shock button. The ride height in rear, though, is set via the link that KW sends. Of course you can adjust this but you have to get under the car. Once I found my perfect height- not too low, not too high- I had my tech lock it in and we have been golden since.

I lowered my W212 2010 E63 with H and R springs up front because the KW's were not out. It was big difference between the springs and KW's. The coilover sleeves are much stiffer in turns at low and higher speeds yet you get that great KW compliance over undulations at lower speeds. The rear is still the Benz system but at least with the PP you get the stiffest shocks. Id give up some comfort all day for a much improved chassis response and handling feedback. The KW's minimize the roll of the car on a Benz platform that has much been improved once they finally went to steel springs up front.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM

This is correct, the rear is still airmatic so your stiffness is controlled on the inside via the shock button. The ride height in rear, though, is set via the link that KW sends. Of course you can adjust this but you have to get under the car. Once I found my perfect height- not too low, not too high- I had my tech lock it in and we have been golden since.

I lowered my W212 2010 E63 with H and R springs up front because the KW's were not out. It was big difference between the springs and KW's. The coilover sleeves are much stiffer in turns at low and higher speeds yet you get that great KW compliance over undulations at lower speeds. The rear is still the Benz system but at least with the PP you get the stiffest shocks. Id give up some comfort all day for a much improved chassis response and handling feedback. The KW's minimize the roll of the car on a Benz platform that has much been improved once they finally went to steel springs up front.
Vic - I'm meeting tons of car people out there and you still are one of the most knowable guys around. THanks for you time here and for your wisdom...for real. Also - Jason H told me to say hello....told me that its been a couple of years but speaks very highly of you.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
I can't imagine wanting to run anything less than PSS unless you only drive your car aggressively at the track and you have a seperate set of wheels/tires for that. The drop that you would lose between the tires seems like it would be very minimal anyways.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Polivoks
I can't imagine wanting to run anything less than PSS unless you only drive your car aggressively at the track and you have a seperate set of wheels/tires for that. The drop that you would lose between the tires seems like it would be very minimal anyways.
PSS seems to be unanimously the best tires out there for all around use. At the end of the day I let Surge at Benz Works to decide but I think he gets lots of advice from Vic....lol.

My family lives in Highland Park...where do you get your cars from?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

PSS seems to be unanimously the best tires out there for all around use. At the end of the day I let Surge at Benz Works to decide but I think he gets lots of advice from Vic....lol.

My family lives in Highland Park...where do you get your cars from?

Ha- he doesnt listen to me that much but when the setup is similar or on this case exact he knows what works best.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Polivoks
Agree completely, except PSS are not available in required 20" sizes, so PS2 would need to be used instead. Still much better tire than Evo V12s or anything else, especially for AMG. Additional benefit is that it saves 4lbs of unsprung weight at the rear compared to Evo V12s. Wasn't it benefit number one for using OP selected HREs in the first place? However, the decission it seems was already made so all this is irrelevant.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63

I think I'm getting the PS2's for my 19's......pretty sure that's what the guy ordered me
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
What do u have on now
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
From what I recall, PSS unfortunately doesn't have the stock tire size for the 19" unless one plans to mix fore and aft with different brands.