C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2013 CLS Renntech R1 for sale.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Unhappy

Sad ending to my way too short ownership of that fabulous car.
Last Sunday afternoon,on my way home from office(had some extra work that had to be done),was hit by a full size pick-up truck,hard.
Pushed against the curbs and light pole,multiple airbag deployments.
Car is totaled,just 500 miles on the odometer,I am whole,just numerous bruises from airbags,worst on my shins from the knee bag (under dash).
I need a new car.....
Btw,guy got a reckless driving citation and his insurance has just $25k limit.
Just my luck.....
The following users liked this post:
bEATONu (05-06-2017)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
oh man, that is horrible, hope u are ok...
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP, '16 Huracan , '11 RR Ghost
Originally Posted by absent
Last Sunday afternoon,on my way home from office(had some extra work that had to be done),was hit by a full size pick-up truck,hard.
Car is totaled,just 500 miles on the odometer,I am whole,just numerous bruises from airbags,worst on my shins from the knee bag (under dash).
I need a new car.....
Just my luck.....

So sorry to hear that -- but hope you are OK!.

What car do you have in mind?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
I need a new car.....
Just my luck.....
WTF?

25K can't buy a CLA!
so how do they work that out???
good luck to you man, glad you survived the accident.........
Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
your insurance should cover the rest and not raise your premium since it was not your fault

most importantly, you are still here, sounds like MB did it's job, that's why I drive one

good luck, heal fast, drive on
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Elliotts550SL
your insurance should cover the rest and not raise your premium since it was not your fault

most importantly, you are still here, sounds like MB did it's job, that's why I drive one

good luck, heal fast, drive on
It was 991TTS.
Damage estimate is close to a $100k and my insurance is trying to decide if it is a total loss or if they should just pay for repair.
Unacceptable to me,the car will be worthless with a record of severe collision
and why should I pay the consequences?
If it is not salvaged I will collect the insurance and sell the wreck as is,I am not going to keep it,bad karma....
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Sorry to hear all of this, very sad and frustrating. the worst is that someone nearly kills you and they get a wreckless driving citation and walk away while youre stuck with over $100K of loss to deal with.
But at least youre ok.
Where was the accident? last couple days?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
It was 991TTS.
Damage estimate is close to a $100k and my insurance is trying to decide if it is a total loss or if they should just pay for repair.
If it is not salvaged I will collect the insurance and sell the wreck as is,I am not going to keep it,bad karma....
agh, well Porsche did it's job! glad you are still here!

I agree, car is now worthless on the market and I would not keep it either

If your insurance decides to repair I'd get an attorney involved since you have been financially and physically damaged from this accident that was of no fault from you. Would not hurt to get an attorney now, insurance companies act differently when there is an attorney involved.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM

2014 GT-R; 2014 GL 350 BTC
It was 991TTS.

First let me say thank god you are ok and lets keep things in perspective that this is only a car and your life matters a whole lot more. Kiss your wife and kids if you have them.

As I shared in this forum a while ago, same thing hapenened to me back in early 2011 in my 2009 M3. At fault driver's insurance refused to total the car becuase the damage was close but not >= 80% of the estimated value of the car before the accident. I sold the car for salvage and fought the insurance company for months afterwards but was ultimately able to recover the difference in estimated pre accident value of my car over the salvage value received + sales tax on the value of the car + some other expenses but had to sign a full waiver on PI claims. PM me your info and I can call you to discuss my experience here. This strategy only really works if you go 3rd party rather than 1st party however (i.e. through the at fault driver's policy). You will have to get a plaintiff's lawyer involved unless you have significant time and energy to devote to this too.

Last edited by pgordon888; 12-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pgordon888
First let me say thank god you are ok and lets keep things in perspective that this is only a car and your life matters a whole lot more. Kiss your wife and kids if you have them.

As I shared in this forum a while ago, same thing hapenened to me back in early 2011 in my 2009 M3. At fault driver's insurance refused to total the car becuase the damage was close but not >= 80% of the estimated value of the car before the accident. I sold the car for salvage and fought the insurance company for months afterwards but was ultimately able to recover the difference in estimated pre accident value of my car over the salvage value received + sales tax on the value of the car + some other expenses but had to sign a full waiver on PI claims. PM me your info and I can call you to discuss my experience here. This strategy only really works if you go 3rd party rather than 1st party however (i.e. through the at fault driver's policy). You will have to get a plaintiff's lawyer involved unless you have significant time and energy to devote to this too.
It has to go through my insurance ,since the other guy only had the minimum coverage allowed in Illinois and that would barely cover the new wheels on that car.
Waiting for adjustor's decision now....
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM

It has to go through my insurance ,since the other guy only had the minimum coverage allowed in Illinois and that would barely cover the new wheels on that car.

He will have adequate coverage if the potential PI claims are thrown into the mix of the negotiations. If your insurance company decides based on their adjuster it is not a total loss then you will most likely have to accept repairs or a cash payment equal to their estimated cost of the repairs (assuming the car is owned outright and no lender has a lien in it). On a 1st party claim your contract with your insurance provider governs claims procedures subject to state statutory rules of minimum standards whereas in a third party claim you can apply tort principles (such as a reasonable measure of damages is the difference in the value of your car before and after the accident in most states that follow the 2nd restatment of torts).

I switched from 1st party to 3rd party once my insurance company would not total my M3. I did not want to put up with 6 months of waiting for my car to be repaired while driving a cheap rental in the interim knowing I would have an impossible time trying to sell the car on the other side of its repair and resulting carfax report.

Now would be the time to put some pressure on your insurance broker if they want your business in the future.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Just a quick search shows $15k is the minimum property damage coverage required in IL . That's almost pointless. It is $25k in MS, not that much better. Negligent party's insurance should tender their limits fairly quick, seems like liability is clear.

If they want to keep your business, the adjuster should total the car. The insurance company would easily be able to recoup the salvage value of the car, being so new and rare. Dealing with insurance companies is a nightmare. Good luck, hopefully you can have a replacement in the stable soon.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Any update on whether your insurance agreed to total the car?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pgordon888
Any update on whether your insurance agreed to total the car?
Talked to them yesterday.
They are still crunching the numbers before deciding what to do.
It's not just the repair cost that is astronomical,the absence of any parts in US for that car and possibility of having to provide a rental for 3 or more months is also weighing on the issue.
According to adjustor they are starting to lean toward total loss which is my goal of course.
The final decision is supposed to be made before the end of the year.
I already told them I would cancel with them all coverages and switch back to Chubb if they decide to repair it.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM

Talked to them yesterday.
They are still crunching the numbers before deciding what to do.
It's not just the repair cost that is astronomical,the absence of any parts in US for that car and possibility of having to provide a rental for 3 or more months is also weighing on the issue.
According to adjustor they are starting to lean toward total loss which is my goal of course.
The final decision is supposed to be made before the end of the year.
I already told them I would cancel with them all coverages and switch back to Chubb if they decide to repair it.

Update? I love Chubb, use them for all my insurance other than auto becuase their rates are just so high for auto. My broker tried hard to get me to switch from Geico to Chubb saying that I would never have had the problems getting my M3 totaled with Chubb. Still that is the front office talking, not the back office claims department that is rewarded for limiting payouts on claims.