MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C218 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218-175/)
-   -   New car - CLS63P (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218/520948-new-car-cls63p.html)

Heisenberg 11-19-2013 12:41 PM

New car - CLS63P

Took delivery yesterday. I got about 6% off MSRP.
  • Designo magno cashmere white
  • Black interior with silver belts and contrast stitching
  • Carbon fiber trunk spoiler
  • Carbon fiber interior trim
  • AMG forged wheels
  • Premium 1 Package
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Parktronic

LSD & Illuminated Door Sill were included on S-Model standard equipment
AMG door pins, I installed myself. The OEM plastic ones are just wrong on this car!

Compared to my CLS55 with Renntech Performance Package 5, it has less horsepower and particularly torque, but from a stop or slow roll the 4MATIC definitely delivers it more efficiently to the ground resulting in better 0-60 times. But acceleration from higher speed is not as strong as CLS55 with its higher torque and lower weight. That said, the CLS63S is definitely fast enough and I don't anticipate doing any expensive, potentially warranty-voiding engine/ECU modifications this time around; that said, the Rennech work on my CLS55 has been flawless, other than replacing the supercharger belt a couple times there have been absolutely zero issues.

I wish the AMG forged wheels were 20" but I like them enough to probably keep them. The car ride height is borderline, since they are not too expensive I may get the H&R springs installed up front and adjustable links in the rear to drop it only ~ 0.75". The ride is definitely firmer with the springs compared to air suspension, and don't want to make it any harsher with the KW kit. My CLS55 is lowered more aggressively, which makes for a rather busy (although different feeling) ride too.

The exhaust note of the CLS63P is just awesome, particularly for a turbocharged car. It sounds business!

Interior is very nice although I will really miss the piano black and porcelain leather from the Designo Graphite CLS55 - it was just an awesome combination. I anticipate ordering a S-Coupe 63 in 2-3 years and will be doing the piano black with white leather again.

As for the 218 versus 219 styling... there are features of both I prefer. I much prefer the front end of the 218, but with darker paints I still like the more graceful curves of the 219. I think with lighter paints like white, the more muscular rear quarters of the 63 look better. I did not particularly like the 63 rear lights and trapezoidal exhaust, but they are starting to grow on me. Both are fabulous looking cars!

I'll get some more photos this weekend. Here is a quickie from the iPhone

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N...2-no/photo.JPG

I will be listing the CLS55 for sale here shortly btw, in case anyone might be interested. Despite being a 2006 model it is surprising how little has changed!

Vic55 11-19-2013 02:11 PM

congrats on the acquisition---- love the wide stance of that car; I still semi regret dumping mine---- semi

and anyone who has a tough time with your 2006 CLS55 will need to understand thats the only year it came out :)

Heisenberg 11-19-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks Vic! I appreciate your advice early on in my decision making process :)

Yes the CLS55 was only available as a 2006 model. And I much preferred it to the supercharged 5.4L V8 to the N/A 6.2L V8 that followed it in MY2007, particularly given the power gains that could be achieved with modification.

Vic55 11-19-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RennTech55K (Post 5848965)
Thanks Vic! I appreciate your advice early on in my decision making process :)

Yes the CLS55 was only available as a 2006 model. And I much preferred it to the supercharged 5.4L V8 to the N/A 6.2L V8 that followed it in MY2007, particularly given the power gains that could be achieved with modification.

Agree 100% having owned a 2004 E55 reasonably modded (pulley, headers, tune, exhaust, cooling) and a 2010 E63 M156. The sound though, is quite incredible in my Black Series (M156).

hyperion667 11-19-2013 04:00 PM

an auspicious moment!

congrats man, I love mine too........on the weekends :)

happy driving

emericr 11-19-2013 04:29 PM

Congrats on the new AMG.
I am not sure how long you will be able to hold on tuning it. I know I could only wait about 6 months. The power is intoxicating.

Heisenberg 11-19-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 5849088)
Congrats on the new AMG.
I am not sure how long you will be able to hold on tuning it. I know I could only wait about 6 months. The power is intoxicating.

I am going to try :) I'm sure a relatively inexpensive ECU flash would unlock further potential for acceleration at speed. It is already scary fast from a stop or roll with the 4MATIC, thought I was going to pass out first time I did the race start... butt dyno and lightheadedness tell me low 3 sec range 0-60mph. But it doesn't pull quite as hard from 70mph as the CLS55.

otakki 11-19-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RennTech55K (Post 5849165)
But it doesn't pull quite as hard from 70mph as the CLS55.

Could it also be from the drivetrain loss due to 4matic?

Anyway, fabulous looking. I love how the CLS is still keeping the previous forged wheels.

Vic55 11-19-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by otakki (Post 5849241)
Could it also be from the drivetrain loss due to 4matic?

Anyway, fabulous looking. I love how the CLS is still keeping the previous forged wheels.

Was just about to ask the samething although the MCT is much better than the slush 5 speed in the 55....

the ADD in me is telling me to get an RS7..... wtf stop typing fajsl;gh;askjsdbvgas

E-SICKTY3 11-19-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 5849333)
the ADD in me is telling me to get an RS7..... wtf stop typing fajsl;gh;askjsdbvgas

Hahaha.. you seem to do car shopping a lot

Originally Posted by RennTech55K (Post 5848825)

LSD & Illuminated Door Sill were included on S-Model standard equipment
AMG door pins, I installed myself. The OEM plastic ones are just wrong on this car!

How easy is it to change the door pins? I've been thinking to change it but never get a chance to. Appreciate it if you don't mind sharing some instructions :)

Steinhart 11-20-2013 09:11 AM

congrats! beautiful car, 4MATIC power efficiency is awesome, thanks for sharing your thoughts on your two CLS's and experience with the dealer.

I have not modded mine except for changing out the front side yellow reflector and glass tint, and don't plan to, I don't track the car and so there's no place to use the stock power let alone that from a mod, it's already a scary fast car, I need to try the race mode somewhere on a back road :)

Faris63 11-20-2013 09:49 AM

Congrats ! Car looks really nice :y

emericr 11-20-2013 01:13 PM

The front are easy. Just unscrew the old one and screw on the new ones. Use a towel or similar with a pair of pliers to unscrew.
For the rear, you need to take out the 2 screw of the door handles and then pop out the portion of the door panel (top right) where the pin resides enough to put your hand behind the panel and pull the mechanism out. Pop out the OEM pin and pop the new ones in.

Check the link below as a guide. You do not need to pull out the door panel entirely like he did. (I am the friend he refers to on the thread that bought him the pins :D). We did the install of the rear pins on mine. It is intimidating at first but the video shows you how to pull the door panel.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...way-video.html

How easy is it to change the door pins? I've been thinking to change it but never get a chance to. Appreciate it if you don't mind sharing some instructions :)[/QUOTE]

Heisenberg 11-20-2013 02:19 PM

The dealer had the rear door pins in stock so I asked them to install. Got a call subsequently, tech had never done and said there were no instructions. Told him to just grab the factory pins with a pliers over a rag, then pull straight up to pop the ball joint. That's all he did and they are on perfect, nearly flush when retracted.

Stopped by another dealer on the way home and picked up the two front pins. They just screw on and off. I need to apply a little loctite, if they are screwed all the down they are sunk when retracted. I unscrewed them a bit to fit flush but now they are a little loose.

Anyway it is easy to do. If you're not in a hurry just buy a set of 4 off Ebay and save some money.

Heisenberg 11-20-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Faris63 (Post 5849889)
Congrats ! Car looks really nice :y

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/...d24479f0_z.jpg

Damn those wheels look really good... maybe I won't keep the AMGs after all :naughty:

emericr 11-20-2013 04:48 PM

Popping the OEM ones is fine but putting the new ones in, you run the risk of breaking the inside mechanism by pushing in too hard. It is worth taking an extra 10 minutes to pop the door panel. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by RennTech55K (Post 5850261)
The dealer had the rear door pins in stock so I asked them to install. Got a call subsequently, tech had never done and said there were no instructions. Told him to just grab the factory pins with a pliers over a rag, then pull straight up to pop the ball joint. That's all he did and they are on perfect, nearly flush when retracted.

Stopped by another dealer on the way home and picked up the two front pins. They just screw on and off. I need to apply a little loctite, if they are screwed all the down they are sunk when retracted. I unscrewed them a bit to fit flush but now they are a little loose.

Anyway it is easy to do. If you're not in a hurry just buy a set of 4 off Ebay and save some money.

Heisenberg 11-21-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 5850426)
Popping the OEM ones is fine but putting the new ones in, you run the risk of breaking the inside mechanism by pushing in too hard. It is worth taking an extra 10 minutes to pop the door panel. Just my 2 cents.

Good point. I knew the rears were potentially a problematic install which is why I asked the dealership to do it. Guess the tech got lucky and they popped off - told him to just pull up then twist.

Loving the car. Getting the H&R springs and adjustable rear links to lower it a little, probably will need camber bolts too. And so it begins :lol:

pgordon888 11-21-2013 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RennTech55K (Post 5848825)

Compared to my CLS55 with Renntech Performance Package 5, it has less horsepower and particularly torque, but from a stop or slow roll the 4MATIC definitely delivers it more efficiently to the ground resulting in better 0-60 times. But acceleration from higher speed is not as strong as CLS55 with its higher torque and lower weight. That said, the CLS63S is definitely fast enough and I don't anticipate doing any expensive, potentially warranty-voiding engine/ECU modifications this time around; that said, the Rennech work on my CLS55 has been flawless, other than replacing the supercharger belt a couple times there have been absolutely zero issues.

I will be listing the CLS55 for sale here shortly btw, in case anyone might be interested. Despite being a 2006 model it is surprising how little has changed!

In case you don't already know the Renntech tune on this car is awesome and will make you forget the cls55 real fast. I ran it for 2 years with no problem as a bunch of others on this forum are currently.

TDwayne69 11-22-2013 08:04 AM

Congrats, the car is a "Beast".......enjoy

Heisenberg 11-25-2013 05:12 PM

Going to be dropping it a little, about 3/4", ordering the H&R springs for the front and adjustable links for the rear. Hopefully the camber won't be too far out of spec with that amount of drop.

I had previously looked into a KW Coilover kit but was informed these do not fit the 2014 4MATIC cars, which apparently have larger diameter shocks up front.

vdubpower 11-25-2013 09:30 PM

is there any truth to the rears adjusting their height automatically if the front is lowered...without module, without links???

Vic55 11-25-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by vdubpower (Post 5855688)
is there any truth to the rears adjusting their height automatically if the front is lowered...without module, without links???

I havent seen it and I lowered my CLS and Wagon with the KW's.... they are on different systems. The fronts are controlled via traditional springs and the rears are airmatic. When we dropped the front- the rears on both cars were still up and we had to measure where we wanted to go.

vdubpower 11-25-2013 11:45 PM

yeah thats what i figured.....but our local mercs tuner in Santa Ana said otherwise...dunno...

i wonder if its possible to use stock front springs with the kw sleeves to adjust height, rather than use there springs....

Heisenberg 11-26-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by vdubpower (Post 5855688)

I don't think so. Options for the rear are adjustable links, digital module, and STAR. I am going with the links because the dealer won't lower with STAR and with the H&R springs up front, with their 3/4" drop, I won't need to make adjustments to the rear once it is properly configured.

vdubpower 11-26-2013 09:49 AM

Maybe they were referring to star.