C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Problem with suspension on CLS63 PP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
Problem with suspension on CLS63 PP

Hey guys. I bought my CLS63 PP brand new in July 2012, and immediately ordered KW V1's from Vivid Racing. I ran them on stock wheels for about 14k miles. The suspension was always firm, always planted, and the ride always enjoyable. A couple months back I installed brand new Vossen CV3's with 255/30/20 and 305/25/20 Hankook Ventus V12.

The ride has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 months and I can't figure out why. The car now feels uncomfortably bouncy (not in a firm rebound type of way, it feels soft) and even loose in corners. I can only imagine the issue is with the airmatic shocks, but haven't read anything in this forum sub-section regarding that. Any insight? Should I look into having the shocks replaced or revalved?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
okayyyyyyy........so u changed wheels and u are blaming the suspension?? The wheels are probably off balance...or oval..

there have been noted issues with air bellows in the rear, atleast in the E section and thats been mainly the car sinking more than it should
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 AM

'13 CLS63 PP, '16 Huracan , '11 RR Ghost
I have the same car with PP and I changed mine with 20" wheels with same exact tire setup as yours and lowered on KWs. I do felt the difference in having more rough (you can feel the road even more due to thinner tires and 20" wheels upgrade) driving experience. This felt more uncomfortable, however, my car still ride good IMO -- still planted during highway cruising and going through corners. I'm currently using my stock wheels and I can't really tell the difference in going through corners and highway cruising.

I believe your car should be factored in by the weight of those Vossen wheels. While you up-size the wheels to 20" wheels, from what I know Vossens are pretty heavy because they are cast wheels. In my opinion that could play a factor to your driving experience? Just my thoughts.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Hey guys. I bought my CLS63 PP brand new in July 2012, and immediately ordered KW V1's from Vivid Racing. I ran them on stock wheels for about 14k miles. The suspension was always firm, always planted, and the ride always enjoyable. A couple months back I installed brand new Vossen CV3's with 255/30/20 and 305/25/20 Hankook Ventus V12.

The ride has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 months and I can't figure out why. The car now feels uncomfortably bouncy (not in a firm rebound type of way, it feels soft) and even loose in corners. I can only imagine the issue is with the airmatic shocks, but haven't read anything in this forum sub-section regarding that. Any insight? Should I look into having the shocks replaced or revalved?

Thanks guys.

I think someone didnt read your post LOL (vdub thinks your wheels are the cause)---- if what you say is 100% correct (bouncy and progressively worse) it could be the suspension. First off you and all of us know that as you increase metal (more diameter in the wheel) and reduce rubber (lower profile) you will get more road feel and feedback from undulations, bumps, holes, etc but this should not cause your bouncy or soft feel. In fact your ride should have become more hard and uncomfortable.

So it might be in your head as change does bring different feelings but you could have ruined one or more of your shocks due to excessive compression and a reduced focal point since you dropped it. The shocks in the front are more compressed due to the springs and the rears could be compromised. You should get it on a lift and check for hydraulic fluid leaks on them.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
he had 14 k on the kw's with stock wheels, and then changed wheels and issues arose. simple deduction leads to the wheels maybe being the problem. let me add in, maybe tires too.

sure if could be the suspension too....i guess he will have to lift it and check...
Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by vdubpower
he had 14 k on the kw's with stock wheels, and then changed wheels and issues arose. simple deduction leads to the wheels maybe being the problem. let me add in, maybe tires too.

sure if could be the suspension too....i guess he will have to lift it and check...
Then its placebo on his part- but less rubber and more metal doesnt create bounciness. It will create more kidney punches though.

General rule of thumb: springs control height and shocks control dampening coupled with springs.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Thanks for the responses guys. I've had a plethora of cars slammed on aftermarket wheels and haven't experienced this before, which is why I also believe that it's something to do with the shocks. When I enter a corner, my car now feels like an S550 now instead of the M5-like handling characteristics it previously had.

I had the wheels rebalanced and car realigned before I had made my initial post, so I also am not attributing this to them.

Vic, thanks for the tip. I'll take your advice and have the shocks checked for hydraulic fluid leaks and figure out what to do next.