C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Speculation on how the AMG GT will drive like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2014 | 08:17 AM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Speculation on how the AMG GT will drive like?

I'm considering replacing my CLS by something more emotional and thrilling. I have tried a few models in the Porsche line-up (my favourite was the Cayman S) but they generally lack the thrust I'm now used to. By the name of the new AMG "GT", I'm afraid it will be like a cruiser hidden under a sport car shell. However, AMG seems to position the car in a much sportier way than that, like a notch below the SLS.

I may get on the waiting list just in case in any event (will be available in February in Canada).

Without any more information, would you expect the AMG GT to be like a "GT", like an SL or more like a powerful Porsche?
Old 07-16-2014 | 08:43 AM

2013 Bentley Continental GTC
It's aimed at the 911 market so I would expect it to be more like a Porsche than an SL. Otherwise, they'd just be cannibalizing from their SL customers and not getting 911 owners to switch. It has the potential to be a true 911 killer. As a 2014 Carrera S owner, I'm very interested to see how this car turns out.
Old 07-16-2014 | 11:17 AM

SL63
Wait for the Cayman GT4. It's coming next year. They were talking about it in the porsche magazine this month. Powerplant hasn't been revealed yet, but it'll be north of 400 hp and weight has been reduced to 2866 lbs and suspension parts shared with the upcoming GT3RS.
Old 07-16-2014 | 02:25 PM

There's a big difference in interior space between a mid-engine car and a front-engine car so for everyday usability, the edge would go to the AMG GT versus any model of Cayman. I've driven a Cayman on the track and it's fun but it's nowhere near as fast or as fun as the 911s I also drove on the track. I don't see Porsche ever making a Cayman that will outperform a 911 so if the GT4 will have 400HP, chances are the base 911 will have more and be faster. Even so, the AMG GT will likely top 500HP.
Old 07-16-2014 | 02:46 PM

2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
although I liked the Porsche I had, especially road feel and performance, AMG's just give that punch, growl, exhaust note like a true muscle car, along with luxury, tough to beat IMO

I expect the AMG GT to be an absolute beast, probably more sporty than a traditional MB GT

Last edited by Steinhart; 07-16-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2014 | 03:14 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
There's a big difference in interior space between a mid-engine car and a front-engine car so for everyday usability, the edge would go to the AMG GT versus any model of Cayman. I've driven a Cayman on the track and it's fun but it's nowhere near as fast or as fun as the 911s I also drove on the track. I don't see Porsche ever making a Cayman that will outperform a 911 so if the GT4 will have 400HP, chances are the base 911 will have more and be faster. Even so, the AMG GT will likely top 500HP.
It was talked about in the Porsche mag that the Cayman GT4 will change that. It's going to be a proper race car. No longer will the 911 be the only car allowed to be a flagship track car. Everyone knows that the Cayman if not beaten with a nerf bat to hold it back would eat a 911. If they really make the GT4 the way it should be made it'll be something to behold. I don't expect much from the GT really. Nothing released thus far has been exceptional in any way. It seems mediocre with a bunch of hype behind it.
Old 07-16-2014 | 05:35 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
It was talked about in the Porsche mag that the Cayman GT4 will change that. It's going to be a proper race car. No longer will the 911 be the only car allowed to be a flagship track car. Everyone knows that the Cayman if not beaten with a nerf bat to hold it back would eat a 911. If they really make the GT4 the way it should be made it'll be something to behold. I don't expect much from the GT really. Nothing released thus far has been exceptional in any way. It seems mediocre with a bunch of hype behind it.
The GT4 is the car I would expect to be the most fun to drive. See my impression of the 911 and Cayman I test drove.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...-vs-911-a.html

Based on the pictures, the interior of the AMG GT seems to be gorgeous but they're just pictures for now. I just hope the car will be a bit raw and emotional, not just powerful luxury like an F-Type Jaguar (which I would categorize as a GT).
Old 07-16-2014 | 07:36 PM

I think the AMG GT will be a nice street sports GT car and that eventually a Black Series will come out that will be a competitive track car. So, I don't see the comparison between the AMG GT and a GT4 as it's apples-to-oranges. Compare a GT4 to a 991 GT3 or a Scuderia or the like and it makes more sense but compare the AMG GT to a 911S, which is its target market. The hardcore buyer of a GT3 or GT4 isn't the demographic who's going to buy an AMG GT.
Old 07-17-2014 | 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I am also considering switching back to a more involving vehicle. My top pick for now is the Jaguar R Coupe or new Z06.
I must admit that the new Hellcat is very appealing for just the fun factor.
I am intrigued by the GT but I think it will probably be around $15Xish optioned minimally. Simply too much money compared to its competition. with the hp indicated, its performance would indicate it will be on par with a 911S but will get crushed by a 911TT. I am sure they will come up with a BS but it will be more expensive and approach 200K which will be Mclaren territory with their new car.
Bottom line is I think the GT has a very tough road ahead of itself like the SLR and SLS did. Do I have high hopes for the car? sure but it should have come with close to 600hp not 500hp.
Old 07-17-2014 | 11:03 AM

The GT is expected to price from $115K for the base model, which is comparable to the Carrera 2S and $135K for the S model, which is a lot less than a comparably-equipped 911TT. I think we just all need to wait and see.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/yes...out-about.html
Old 07-17-2014 | 10:39 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
I met my MB sales guy here in Toronto and he's talking about a price point similar to the cls63. He went to great extent to explain how and why it will be completely different than an SL. He said they were after the 911 market with extra power and extra comfort. I'm not sure I like the comment about extra comfort...

As you said, we'll have to wait until the thing gets out and properly reviewed.

PS love the design of the new Jag...I'll have to try it.
Old 07-17-2014 | 10:44 PM

I think I know what he may mean by "extra comfort": I own a 2014 Carrera S and the seats are extra firm and the side bolsters are not adjustable. I wouldn't ant to drive my car for an extended period of time because the seat is more track-friendly than street-friendly, IMO. The CLS63 side bolsters open and close and can be set to tighten up if you drive aggressively into a hard turn, something Porsche does not offer. Hopefully for the future AMG GT buyer, this feature will be carried over from the CLS63 as it provides the best of both worlds: street comfort and track snugness when needed.
Old 07-18-2014 | 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i drive them all, fast and hard
probably like the jag f type r
Old 07-18-2014 | 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
$135K base (which I doubt it will be) is 15K cheaper than base of 911TT which destroys a 510hp car that weighs more . You can wait all you want but the Jag with 550hp is more powerful and a better value at 115K all in with options.
MB seems to be making the same mistake Aston did when they released the Vantage. They did not want it to have more power than the more expensive models.
They should have released the GT with 575hp base, 625hp for the S and then a 700hp Black series. The SLS is the past and let it be. What matters is its competition today.

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
The GT is expected to price from $115K for the base model, which is comparable to the Carrera 2S and $135K for the S model, which is a lot less than a comparably-equipped 911TT. I think we just all need to wait and see.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/yes...out-about.html
Old 07-18-2014 | 03:23 PM

As the post original suggests, it's all just speculation so drawing conclusions based on no real information is an exercise in futility. I'm not in the market for another sports GT car so I don't have a horse in this race, but I'm going to wait to see how the AMG GT is priced, what it includes and what it's going to cost out-the-door before making comparisons. All I do know as a Porsche owner is that Porsches are overpriced and EVERYTHING is optional. My $98K MSRP Carrera S actually costs $132K with options. So, an AMG GT that doesn't require a 35% upcharge for options should give Porsche some competition. We'll see soon enough.
Old 07-21-2014 | 08:30 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
I tried the Jag F Type R over the weekend. Keep reading you'll see how it connects to this thread.

I never thought I would ever say this about a Jag but what a monster. Forget refinement and purity...this car is all about emotion and keeping this smile on your face. The throttle response and the tranny are comparable to a 991S (I know...it's unbelievable) combined with a supercharged engine providing a monstrous amount of torque all along the RPM range. And the exhaust, oh my, I have never driven anything that loud, farting and cracking non stop. The CLS63 has minor lags here and there (throttle response, turbo response and MCT shifting response) that did not bother me so much...until now. I now realize that all these lags add up....after driving this insane Jag, I find that my car is now sluggish.

My biggest complaint about this Jag is that it is quite heavy for a two seater (almost 4,000 lbs!). The great balance and super stiff chassis help a lot to remove the feel of the weight most of the time but when you get on these tight ramps, you know you're not even close to what a Porsche can do. I also find the steering too light, not bad but not great. To give you an idea, the CLS63 has a better steering feel, a sense of greater accuracy than the Jag.

Like the AMG GT, Jag is also saying that they are after the 911 market with the F Type. I find that what we know about the AMG GT has more similarities with this Jag than the 911 (big power, comfort, body shape, front engine, ...). However the AMG GT is supposed to be only 3300 lbs! The bad news is that it will be a turbo...hopefully they can get the throttle response and DCT as fast as that Jag or the Porsche and it might really be a great car.

I now understand the reviews of the F Type R when they say that driving this car is an occasion...it really is. Did I mention the mad exhaust sound?
Old 07-21-2014 | 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63S
I think it should be an amazing competition to the 911