Car Dies at a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2021 | 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Car Dies at a stop

Hello,

Thought I'd post in other forums because I only got a few relies in the W212 forum. I have a stock 2014 E63s with about 60K miles on the clock. I've had random but continuing issues where the car dies at a stop. I have SDConnect with Xentry, and have pulled codes several times. The only thing the pops up is a B1F8D14, "The lower sensor of the rear switching module has a malfunction. There is a short circuit to ground or an open
circuit."

In an attempt to isolate, via Vediamo, the ECO Stop/Start function was permanently shut off because it first seemed as if the dying only happened when in ECO mode. Problem still exists. I know there is a "Relay Starter-Alternator Backup Battery" (A0009822023) that may be involved. A Google search of the code points to this site: Autologic Live: Electrical fault malfunction on Mercedes C-Class - autotechnician - servicing the independent workshop. Not sure it relates.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? Also anyone know what the "lower sensor of the rear switching module" is? Seems odd that the car doesn't throw a code when the car dies unexpectedly.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-09-2021 | 11:31 AM

09E350, 07E63, 13CLS63
It seems like replacing the stop/start relay is a good start. I know $250 for that relay is not cheap. Or you can have the dealer inspects it, I think it's easy for them to find out, then you can decide to have it done there or not, some dealers have free inspection.
Old 06-10-2021 | 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by dustinN
It seems like replacing the stop/start relay is a good start. I know $250 for that relay is not cheap. Or you can have the dealer inspects it, I think it's easy for them to find out, then you can decide to have it done there or not, some dealers have free inspection.
It's been a few days since BenzNinja and I adjusted the idle upwards, and reset the adaptations for the engine and tranny. No dying so far. I almost think it's fuel related, because when coming to a stop, especially on a hot day, there's a noticeable surge (stumble), and then it levels out.

I'm going to replace the plugs (MB OEM) and coils (Bosch) and we'll see if it makes a difference. We ran a diagnostic while engine was running, and there was one fault on cylinder 5 that then went away. After that all were good, along with fuel pressures to each side. I realize that doesn't tell the whole fuel story in each cylinder (injectors). So now I'm gonna poke around about how to diagnose. Since I now have my 4-Post lift installed, it's so much nicer to do maintenance! Brake fluid flush and tranny service next up.

As always thanks very much for your help!

Regards,

Joe