C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Tuned CLS63 AMG Low Boost after Collision Repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Tuned CLS63 AMG Low Boost after Collision Repairs

I have a 2012 with 60K miles. Was in an accident with mainly sheet metal damage all over. Car was at repair shop over 5 months. Exhaust was dropped, oil and coolant lines all disconnected in front end, radiator was replaced along with sheet metal and paint work. When I got the car back after a few miles the CEL came on with codes saying both catalytic converters were bad (working at low efficiency.) Also noticed turbo boost was low. Long story short, insurance company replaced both cats. (Makes no sense that at 60K miles both would go out as they should last 2x that mileage, and not possible/probable to have both fail at the same time with low miles. So I figure the shop did something that screwed them up or a sensor or leak in exhaust from accident was causing CEL in error.) When I got the car back from the dealer noticed that turbo boost was still low after cats were replaced. Stock is 14.5 PSI and after tune was 18-19 PSI. After collision repairs boost only goes up to 8-9 PSI. Would not surprise me that when shop took car to the dealer to deal with CEL codes, the dealer may have reprogrammed ECU and erased the tune. But that would not explain why boost is now less than factory stock. Any suggestions what to look for? Not sure if the car should go back to a dealer or take it to independent shop that did tune to diagnose and reinstall the tune. Annoyed that after sitting weeks at the dealer waiting for the cats they didn't address low boost issue.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
8-9 psi on stock 2012 is normal.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:24 AM

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
8-9 psi on stock 2012 is normal.
Where are you getting that info? According to Road & Track, Car & Driver, Autoweek, etc., it's 14.5 PSI stock.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...enz-cls63-amg/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...benz-cls-news/

https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a198...ve-car-review/

Old 06-11-2021, 09:14 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09E350, 07E63, 13CLS63
I think 14.5 PSI is the max number for the brand new car in perfect condition. This number is lower for older cars.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by ALAN2000
I have a 2012 with 60K miles. Was in an accident with mainly sheet metal damage all over. Car was at repair shop over 5 months. Exhaust was dropped, oil and coolant lines all disconnected in front end, radiator was replaced along with sheet metal and paint work. When I got the car back after a few miles the CEL came on with codes saying both catalytic converters were bad (working at low efficiency.) Also noticed turbo boost was low. Long story short, insurance company replaced both cats. (Makes no sense that at 60K miles both would go out as they should last 2x that mileage, and not possible/probable to have both fail at the same time with low miles. So I figure the shop did something that screwed them up or a sensor or leak in exhaust from accident was causing CEL in error.) When I got the car back from the dealer noticed that turbo boost was still low after cats were replaced. Stock is 14.5 PSI and after tune was 18-19 PSI. After collision repairs boost only goes up to 8-9 PSI. Would not surprise me that when shop took car to the dealer to deal with CEL codes, the dealer may have reprogrammed ECU and erased the tune. But that would not explain why boost is now less than factory stock. Any suggestions what to look for? Not sure if the car should go back to a dealer or take it to independent shop that did tune to diagnose and reinstall the tune. Annoyed that after sitting weeks at the dealer waiting for the cats they didn't address low boost issue.
did you measure the boost before the repair? what gear are you measuring the boost? you dont get the full boost until 4th or 5th gear. its limited in the lower gears to preserve the drivetrain.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:37 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by dustinN
I think 14.5 PSI is the max number for the brand new car in perfect condition. This number is lower for older cars.
if the car has lost over 50% of boost...then there is a serious problem. no matter how old it is...
Old 06-13-2021, 02:10 AM

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1MavRick
did you measure the boost before the repair? what gear are you measuring the boost? you dont get the full boost until 4th or 5th gear. its limited in the lower gears to preserve the drivetrain.
Yes, I have an OBD2 reader that connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth that I use with ODB Fusion app. Once or twice a month I'd fire them up and get readings around 18 PSI boost. I also have a Draggy and 0-60 was typically 3.8 seconds. After car repairs 0-60 has dropped to 4.2 seconds and boost only 8-9 PSI. I also did a few WOT runs away from civilization after repairs that should have maxed out boost and was still under 10 PSI. Between the body shop and insurance company it's getting really frustrating trying to get the car back to pre-accident condition.