C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Advice Needed - ‘15 CLS 63s $48k @ 71k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi A4
Advice Needed - ‘15 CLS 63s $48k @ 71k miles

Hey all - I’m a newbie here looking for some advice on my next car. I’m currently searching for an AMG and the CLS has been top of mind for some time now.

I recently came across a listing for a gorgeous 2015 CLS 63s with ~71k miles on it (2 owners, first was a lease). I’ve looked into the carfax, so far it looks clean (no accidents) and it appears service was done on schedule, recently just had the 70k service done. Important detail to note, the car has some RennTech badging on it however no description on any listing mentions any details on what was done to it.. Based on Carfax the car was in warm states for its entire life, and as the username suggests I’ll be bringing the car up to New England if all works out.

I’m a newbie to the AMG world and the performance car world in general. Before I make any decisions to buy this car, or any car for that fact, I’ve got a few questions/concerns I was hoping some of the folks on here could help educate me (saying it now pls excuse my lack of knowledge for some of these things I’m trying to learn and make an informed decision lol)

- Based on the initial description is this a good buy for the mileage?? Happy to provide more details as needed
- What’s the typical service costs for service A and B around the NE area?
- I’m concerned around the life of the turbos, typically in the M157 engine do the turbos need replacing/servicing around this mileage? I’ve read something about turbo life lasting to ~100k miles but of course it depends on how the car was driven.. can’t really expect an AMG to be “gently driven” lol
- In general wondering from experience how reliable M157s are after 70k miles, should I expect to see a ton of maintenance coming up?
- Looks like brakes were last replaced at around 40k miles what’s the new set of brakes going to set me back? Hoping to use this as a negotiation point to bring the price down a bit
- I've read that the rear bag set up on the suspension can cause trouble/is expensive to fix, is there anything to watch out for to that end?
- Is there any Mercedes/AMG warranty I could buy at this point for a 2015? If so do you think it’d be worth it??

I know that’s a lot but I want to soak up any/all information you AMG enthusiasts out there can throw at me, like I said I want to make an informed decision.

LASTLY - of course I’d prefer to buy a secondhand AMG from an enthusiast rather than a (sleazy) dealer that may try to hide things, so if there’s any up for sale at a reasonable price please feel free to link it my way.

Some photos from the listing:

Last edited by NEBenzGuy; 01-17-2022 at 07:33 AM. Reason: edit to include another question on the rear suspension
Old 01-17-2022, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
I just bought one with 70k miles too and it's 1 owner mint. I did get new pads and rotors all around. Around 1k for them all through fcp euro. I am Hella excited. These cars are solid man. Dont overlook it to much get it and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
NEBenzGuy (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 11:57 AM
SPONSOR

Received 252 Likes on 194 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Welcome to the forum, I help a lot of MB members with warranties on their vehicles. On this specific CLS 63s, you're looking at $3,785 for 5 years / up to 125k miles of complete manufactures extension by Freedom Warranty, covered for $275 in labor an hour, repairs accepted at all Mercedes Benz dealers in North America. Contact me at (602) 909-9216 or by email tgibson@highline-autos.com for more information and an example contract that explains coverage. 0% financing is available.

I love this generation CLS, and where they sit in the price range on the used market, you're getting a lot of car for the money, especially the CLS 63s AMG, with a warranty too, you have no worries about the millage or performance upgrades over a standard, non AMG car. .
Old 01-18-2022, 06:06 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
If you want a lower mileage CLS63, try looking at Canadian ones since you're close to the border. Idk if this is a big deal to you but all CLS63's in Canada come with rear heated seats and rear climate control settings for the back passengers. The exchange rate is great for Americans. This particular one looks like it's missing the driver's assistance package as it doesn't have the dual camera setup in the windshield and no cover over the star emblem. The Canadian ones are always optioned to the highest (aside from carbon ceramic brakes as that's a really hard option to find).

Last edited by Idklol69; 01-18-2022 at 06:17 PM.