C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Cylinder 5 Misfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E55 Stage 3 Eurocharged 2005 E55 VRP Tuned 2015 CLS63 AMG-S
Wink Cylinder 5 Misfire

So I bought a 2015 CLS63 AMG-S with 92k miles on the clock in May of 2022, it was 1 owner no accidents nothing perfectly clean car inside and out well taken care of. 2 days into owning the car I got a check engine, run the codes came back for Cylinder 5 Misfire, no problem can be minor stuff. Changed spark plug reset the codes after couple days it came back again, changed the coil pack same thing, ended up changing the injector. Check engine would come and go on it's own but it was driving normal. It was good for 2 weeks no problems at all than while driving to San Diego i got a blinking check engine and we all know that means you are fu*cked, came to a red light car started jumping rpms all the way to 3k on its own. Got it towed to a friends shop where we decided to take the whole engine out take it apart and see what's going on. Before that we ended up doing a compression test and well surprise cylinder 5 was 0, absolutely dead.
We pulled the engine out, took it apart and it was some nasty *** valves all burnt, the cylinder heads were covered in grime but the cylinder walls were in perfect condition, no scratches nothing. Ended up getting all new valves, resurfaced the heads, cleaned up the pistons, than got to the since I am here might as well, made sure the turbos did not have loose paly / wobble, changed some of the turbo lines, the water pump, all the pulleys and a lot more minor parts.
At the end of the day after couple months of waiting because of parts shortage the rebuilt was fully done. I did an oil change after 1000 miles it looked clean no shavings no gunk came out, topped off the coolants and it has been driving smooth ever since, it is currently at 96k miles. The M157 is a good motor if you take care of it, most of the people that are having issues are with cylinder 5 because the turbo sits right there and the heat causes most of the issues.
In conclusion if you are having the same issues it is most likely the same issues as I had. Hope this helps someone with a misfire.
The following users liked this post:
RavenCLS (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 04:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2012 CLS550
Glad you got it figured out, even if it did cost an arm and a leg.
The following users liked this post:
AlbertBenz (11-22-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e55 amg
Hey you or your buddy by chance wouldnt have a bare m157 rotating shortblock for sale? Thanks.