C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS550 front passenger grease blow out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 550
CLS550 front axle-shaft leaking grease like crazy

Hey All: I have a 2012 CLS550 with 86k and have had it for years. Great car, yada, yada, yada. The other day I had it on the lift to change the oil. While waiting for the oil to drain I checked out the front suspension and saw the attached axle-shaft grease blow-out. As you can imagine, it wasn't hard to notice something was leaking from the front passenger side. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Can I assume a seal has blown? If so, which one exactly? I'm not sure if I should be replacing the axle shaft or just some seals? Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's a 4matic. Oddly enough, there were no weird sounds or issues before I saw this mess, so am assuming it is recent. I did recently replace front control arms and tie rods -not sure if that could connected to this issue. Again, just looking for feedback. Lastly, has anyone ever found a decent service manual for a CLS550? I bought a download version that is awful with no pics or useful step-by-step. Thanks for your time, John

Last edited by Bulldog007; 03-21-2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Title update