C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Clear Side Markers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 320CDI
Clear Side Markers?

I still can't get any rest thinking about the ridiculous yellow side bumper markers day and night. I noticed that many people prefer body color, but I will tell you that with silver for example, one can still see the light through the painted marker. I guess the paint layer is too thin. Also, you can never quite get the clean looks of a Euro bumper. That's why I am in favor of clear ones. If you like clear like myself, let's get together as a group and have someone make a mold and produce 100-200 of those if possible. It can't be that difficult; most clear lenses on EBAY come from SouthEast Asia and sell for pennies. If we don't take initiative, it will take 2 years before we see them on the market...Anyone know how lenses are made? I guess having a mold would be a good start...
Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 PM

2006 CLS55
I ordered a pair of body color side markers from Evosport.com. You may want to check with them to see if they can get you some clear side markers.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You can always get the clean euro look by getting the euro bumper strips - they have no marker light.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 AM

W221-S550
These side markers are my pet peeve. First, in the C219, there is no Euro rub strip as in the E class W211. It is a BIG job to change the whole front end just to get rid of those dang orange markers.
I agree also that clear markers are better than body color in North American spec cars. I mean the cut out is already there. As I said in another post earlier, don't hold your breath for clear markers. I had a '03 W211-E55 and I search the internet constantly for them and there is none. None I have moved on to the CLS55 already.
If you look at sites where these clear markers are sold, NOW they are just coming out with some choices for the W210 model, almost 3 years after they stop production.

I am all in if aniantchev wants to pursue getting some custom made. I am definitely IN!!

With the body color side markers, I believe one can get "dummy bulbs" where basically its a resistor to create a resistance so that the ECU will not read a burnt bulb-if one decides to have the side markers not lighted up by pulling the bulb out. Other fixes I've read include wrapping the bulb in heat resistant tape, but it appears to be a non satisfactory fix to me
Old 03-10-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I've never seen a well-made good quality aftermarket clear marker. I believe body color is a superior solution and will stay in your bumper a lot longer than a clear one. If the light shining through at night bothers you, paint the back of the lens with black paint before installation. Not that difficult to solve.

And a good body shop could fill the hole and spot paint it (I've seen good painter spot paint stuff and match perfectly... and I am pretty picky, which is why I settle for something lower quality... it's just too tough to get good work done without good recommendations). That would be cheaper and a lot less work than a new bumper. Well, I don't think it's that much work to change the bumper, but a lot of people are fazed by it.

-s-
Old 03-10-2005, 12:50 AM

W221-S550
I think changing th ebumper may not be a big job, but it may be quite expensive, especially in a car like the CLS where the whole front end is molded from one piece

Painting the back of the lens black is a good idea to prevent the light from shining through, although it may not be idea for a light color vehicle, as in silver. What about lining the inside of thelens with foil?? Sort of like how marijuana grow ops cover their windows with foil so light cannot get in or out.

Have anyone seen or use these load equalizers fro LEDs

http://superlumination.com/equalizers.htm
Old 03-10-2005, 12:50 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
Flaw, I am a rookie; what do these equalizers do?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by flaw
I think changing th ebumper may not be a big job, but it may be quite expensive, especially in a car like the CLS where the whole front end is molded from one piece

Painting the back of the lens black is a good idea to prevent the light from shining through, although it may not be idea for a light color vehicle, as in silver. What about lining the inside of thelens with foil?? Sort of like how marijuana grow ops cover their windows with foil so light cannot get in or out.

Have anyone seen or use these load equalizers fro LEDs

http://superlumination.com/equalizers.htm
I have silver painted markers with the back painted black. It works fine! They're on my older car though.

The resistors used to create load to trick the bulb check function actually put out more heat than the bulbs... the energy is converted directly to heat in a resistor; in a bulb, some of it to light, some to heat. The total output must be the same.

-s-