Xenons....how to retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Xenons....how to retrofit?

As the title says, i would like to know how to change the standard halogens to Xenons? Is it a simple bulb swap? I think what MB charges is a little over the top, so a simple bulb swap like those being sold for other cars would be a great and inexpensive alternative. Some links to companies who sell xenon bulbs for the CLS55 would be appreciated. This is actually being posted for the gentleman who bought my CLS55.

Thanks in advance.

T
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Highly recommend an original set of headlamps. Replacing the bulbs really results in unsatisfactory performance. But if the new owner is just after the "look" without regard to performance, safety or legality, then it shouldn't be too hard to find places that can still get the bulbs under the legal radar.

-s-
Old 05-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 w204 C350
Scorchie let me ask you this. I have 1 complete passenger side housing, ballast and ignitor. However for the driver side I only have the ballast and ignitor. All are original MB parts, I was just wondering if I would be able to retrofit the drivers side. It appears the only difference in the housings are te tray where the ballast sits, and the person I got them from <some tech in benz dealership> recommended just mounting the ballast and ignitor somewhere near the original halogen housing and should be no problem to retrofit? Not sure on this, Im actually about to get the price from steve for the drivers side housing just incase.

fazooley
Old 05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
www.xenondepot.com
Old 05-31-2005, 12:04 PM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by jikjak

No one here is looking for junky retrofit kits. Thanks anyways.

Fazooley
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Fazooley or anyone else,

Maybe you could explain a little bit why this isnt better than the stock "junky" halogens. When i see any other car that i KNOW doesnt have Xenons as an option, and i see that it illuminates the road better with possibly one of these aftermarket bulbs, then why shouldnt I be interested?

T
Old 05-31-2005, 05:32 PM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Fazooley or anyone else,

Maybe you could explain a little bit why this isnt better than the stock "junky" halogens. When i see any other car that i KNOW doesnt have Xenons as an option, and i see that it illuminates the road better with possibly one of these aftermarket bulbs, then why shouldnt I be interested?

T

Hmm let's see. Two reasons pop into my head without even having to think.
1> Completely voiding your entire set of 3700.00 headlamps warranty.
2> Newer MB cars, the w211 and c219 I know of for sure measure voltage going to all lights. This is one of the reasons why a xenon retrokit for the fogs, which is essentialy the same as the product you speak about will not work. Regardless of capacitors or whatever you want to use, your headlights will just flicker like strobes as the computer searches for the correct voltage.

Now this isnt second hand information, this is firsthand. I had a set of those ballast and ignitors which your link provided all wired and mounted which I could never get to work in my w211. I jst left them there, capped off the wires and returned the car. Big waste of money.

fazooley
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Fazooley or anyone else,

T
Because not only does it illuminate the road better, but it illuminates the sky better, the oncoming traffic better, and all sorts of other places that it SHOULD NOT illuminate. These are some of the reasons the aftermarket kits are illegal in the US and why retrofitting OEM lights currently conforms to DOT standards.

Search the forums for information on "aftermarket xenons" for more information, it's been covered a lot. If you would like further information, search the net for information from Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy, I think he and his firm can be considered experts on the subject.

-s-
Old 06-01-2005, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
xenon depot products are actually very good quality.
using real phillips bulbs and ballasts, which many car companies use as well.

depends on wat type u go for there are a lot of bad kits out there too. ive seen many different kits out there and theirs are among the best.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Jikjak,

What part of the previous information do you NOT understand?

Just retrofitting a rebased Xenon bulb into the original housing will NOT produce a satisfactory beam pattern for driving, causing glare to oncoming traffic, which makes those kits illegal on the street.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
the beam pattern comes from your housing. and whether or not it is projector or refelctor.
also u do need to adjust the height of the beam as well.