Dealer "doesn't recommend"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Question Dealer "doesn't recommend"

I called the mb dealer to see which lowering device (brand) they thought was best for the cls.

They said none. They say it can/will interfere with some of the computer sensors/electronics. Said the "bugs" hadn't been worked out yet.

Wondering if anyone else has bought the lowering mod. Whose? Are you happy with it?? Any problems??

IMO The car needs to sit a bit lower
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by idrivatitleist
I called the mb dealer to see which lowering device (brand) they thought was best for the cls.

They said none. They say it can/will interfere with some of the computer sensors/electronics. Said the "bugs" hadn't been worked out yet.

Wondering if anyone else has bought the lowering mod. Whose? Are you happy with it?? Any problems??

What did you expect them to say?

Every aftermarket benz tuner has a lowering kit. Start there.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
btw...statement is bs since eu models are usually lower
Old 09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
research done

I can tell you who makes them, availability and cost.

But... Who has the best track record? Least problems?

Looking for feedback from those who have already installed one, or more information from those who have been checking in to it.

I want to know the pros and cons for each before I spend my money.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
btw...statement is bs since eu models are usually lower
statement? which one? lost me.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Sorry, I didn't have coffee this morning before replying! I one tank down (with Bailey's) now so I can fully comprehend what you are asking.

Well, from what I've seen posted here and from my local dealer, the best, simplest, and cheapest method is to lower it with the dealer's Star diagnosic tool. I had the dealer "optimize" the ride height on our E500 which was essentially lowering the car by 3/4". It took them about 1 hour from the time I dropped the car off to the time they handed me the keys. The cost was nothing but in all fairness, the car was 1/2" higher on the left than the right so it was cosidered a warranty issue. The extra drop was probably becasue I take the SA out for beers once in a while.

If your dealer is closed minded and by the book only, look up Steve (MBenzNL) on this forum. He provides the same service with the factory tools for a small fee. Other vendors charge up to $3,000 for this service which IMO is a total ripoff. In the end, they both use the computer to lower the ride height but most cost many times what Steve charges.

The satement that I was referring to was that lowering the car had not been tested, bugs not worked out, etc. is complete crap. They don't want to stick their necks out for liability reasons. Who can blame them? It would mean endorsing a product that they could be held responsible for later.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Thumbs up Just Do It !

idrivatitleist - The "Star Diagnostics" method of lowering MBs has been done many, many times to member's cars and no technical problems have reared their ugly head. The only testing you need to do is to determine if you like the results, given your personal tastes and requirements. Personally, I have seen the CLS55 at OEM height and I feel it needs to be lower to compliment the Body Style. Good Luck. - Bob

Last edited by Evolution Marine; 09-03-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idrivatitleist

Just my method, Tom at Lucent Motors has been lowering Mercs for over 10 years and with the newer suspension that is electronically controled he can adjust the ride hight as you like and the car will adjust and perform exactly the same with the new ride hight (besides clearance ect).He says that using a control moduels delays the information to the car making it not as responsive as just adjusting the cars computer. Not to mention it's less than half the price as a module.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 Black
I had my cls dropped via kleeman module about 1-2 months ago. The ride is great and so far have no problems. Ive also notice the tire pressure monitoring works well since it came on when my front left tire pressure fell to 25 psi. I was a little skeptical about the tire monitoring system.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Check this link out!

No problems at all!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
Check this link out!

No problems at all!
You guys are great!!! keep them coming...