Where does the subwoofer go?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g
Originally Posted by traumadoc
What are you doing for New Years?

We will be there the 31st.
TramaDoc: If you're going to be in Miami for New Years I can recommend some top-notch installers in the area and I'll could show you a example of their work on my ESV's system.

Another option is to check out Reus Systems in CA, I've only heard the best from them and they do installs around the country.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Your best bet is to put the subwoofer in the trunk, that way the driver will hear the 'best' frequencies.

I'm way too tired right now to show you the math (last two exams tomorrow ) but for each frequency, there is a distance which 'sounds/feels' the hardest/loudest. That's why how you face the subwoofers, and how far they are from the passengers makes a difference.

Think of a sound wave and how it osscilates. If I remember right, you want to be either at the peak of the trough or crest to hear it the best. I might have that backwards though and you have to be at the orgin. One of those. It's math you use with the speed of sound in air and what not...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 PM

06 CLS55
This could get consufing

Doc,

IMO opinion the first thing you have to do is what was suggested above turn down the bass and see how the sound is, if it is not enough then start changing. Because HK has the logic 7 which is supposed to give you the "sorround sound" if you start adding speakers and changing them it needs to be done right.

In my car there is a sub right behind the rear seat in the middle on top. This is where the low bass comes out of. I 've had to lower the bass in my car becuase of the rattle. I have tried all the other settings and Logic 7 works the best.

Not to nock any of the installer from best buy but I do not recommend going there to get any work done. Who ever works on this system needs to understand frequency, noise reduction, OHms, and more important be able to integrate with out damaging any other electrical component.

I would take NOTKTS recommendation and go there. I live here in Miami and there are so many so-called shops that know what claim they know whaty they are doing. I have freinds that have gone to some of the best and speak of nightmares with their car.

Please see someone very knowledgeable on this and ask for references.

Just my 2 cents, good luck
CLOS
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I heard this set-up in one of my clients E55 who had it done by Ultimate Audio, 1000 fold improvement over stock.
2 JL 10W7s
1 JL 1000/1
1 JL 300/4
MBQ Components
2 Yellow Tops
200 Watt Alt
Rolls and rolls of dynomat
Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

Trust me it's all you'll ever need and JL is the best. I have 6 13W7s and I can blow almost any system that I'd encounter on the street with great SQL to boot.

clos: Where in Miami are you, I'm over in Key Biscayne?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
JL's are siiiick.
Anyone want to pay for a system install for my X5?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

04 E 500 4matic wagon; CLS 63 AMG
Stereo Upgrade

Traumadoc. I upgraded ampllifiers and speakers on a CLS 55 as follows: Amps: Audison 2 Ch 250x2 Amp (for front speakers); Audison 2 Ch 2x120 Amp (for back seat speakers); Audison Mono Amp for the subwoofer ; Speakers: Focal 3 way seperate sysem Max power handling: 400W; Focal K2 P 2-way 6 1/2 " speakers for the back; Focal Polyglass subwoofer.
The new amps were mounted vertically in the trunk and a vertical panel placed in front of the amps, with a clear very hard synthetic window, to protect against damage from luggage. With the digital signal from Sirius Radio, the sound quality was dramatically improved over the HK system. Its sounds as though one is in a symphony hall.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
The subwoofer location has 2 options, either in the rear deck as a "free air" install, or in the trunk. The trunk is by far the more popular spot due to ease of installation, better sound quality, and no need to hack up the car.

As for the frequencies, it all depends on the type of sub you have. Each one has a different frequency range that it can reproduce. I'm guessing you are looking for a mild setup just to add some definition to your music, as opposed to a full-on slamming system?

In my car I'm currently running all my bass from 2 12's in the trunk. I tried a few different amps though until I found one that I liked. Your best bet is to take your favorite CD to a few local stereo shops in the area and listen to your music on their demo models. It will give you an idea how much bass you are looking for, and what kind of power you will need to run.

Roupin. That is exactly what I was thinking. Help mer out here. If I run all the bass through a subwoofer, will I not be missing out on some of the mid bass or are there some subs that capture the entire range of bass. The 12" sub in my Range Rover seems to emit only the lowest frequency of bass but I may not have the amp settings done correctly....

Thanks....
Old 12-19-2005, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
H/K auto systems are notoriously weak. I was amazed at how they can put such a poor audio system in a $90k car. My M3 has the "premium" H/K system upgrade and is an absolute joke. The first thing I did with the E55 is replace the speakers and added amps & subs. For a couple grand you can drastically improve the sound quality and really feel the bass.
Attached Thumbnails Stereo is not too impressive.-100_0006-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Where does the subwoofer go?
If you like trunk space this is the problem.

I just returned from a little ride partly to listen to the stereo. Had the logic 7 on, bass about 2/3 to the right, treble about the same. Lined up the cross hairs just behind the front seats, (2/3 toward rear.) Cranked up the volume... sounded pretty good!!

In fact, it sounded better than I expected. Yes it could sound much better but it isn't too bad. Cranked up pretty loud.... hhuhh??

The dealer has a cd they run in your system that detects blown speakers and defective amps, shorts etc. I would ask them to check it next time you have the car in.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
All of the above suggestions sound good...

Just to let you know, I recently worked on an 04 E55 with a similar setup. Had 2 JL W7 12's in the trunk, all MB quarts in the doors including the tweeters. Two JL amps, EQ's, capacitor, the whole nine. Problem is the car had 20,000 miles and had gone through three batteries and two alternators. From the looks of the install and the parts, it was a step up from a best buy job but nothing to brag about.
This is the way to fly above.. My setup is 3 or 4 years now and KILLS ! I have not changed the alternator or battery ? I guess the S does not have these current-flow issues. It sounds like that 04 E55 lacked a Power Distribution Block ? Unless that capacitor had a power block as well. If so then it was an electrical-ground issue with the 04 E55.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
I heard this set-up in one of my clients E55 who had it done by Ultimate Audio, 1000 fold improvement over stock.
2 JL 10W7s
1 JL 1000/1
1 JL 300/4
MBQ Components
2 Yellow Tops
200 Watt Alt
Rolls and rolls of dynomat
Custom Fiberglass Enclosure?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Thanks for your advice...

Going with the sub in the trunk and a separate amp to begin with... Then who knows???

Ricky... Thanks for the physics refresher.... and the dynomat info....

The noise cancelling headphones work on the same principle....combining the peak and trough of the oscillating wave cancels the sound.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:44 PM

a toy
If you aren't too comfortable about buying a box and lugging it around in your trunk, you could look into bass tubes. The main brand I that comes to mind is Bazooka. The sub they use is pure crap, but they make wonderful enclosures. My friend bought the tube and replaced the sub with a 10" Cerwin Vega, Vega series. He hooked up a mild 2 channel Kenwood amp to it and it was surprisingly powerful. The design of the tube encouraged louder bass that just sounded like a much louder stock system, rather than an actual deep system. Once again, he turned down the bass to the whole car and was running all the bass off that sub.

I personally prefer actual boxes, but that's just another option that's out there.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Infinity?????

Our car is in Kentucky and there are not a lot of options in our town. There is an Infinity dealer in town. Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Little off-topic - anybody knows if they've changed something in W221 ?? Is the factory audio system appropriate to the class, yet ?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:32 PM
ON PROBATION

Keeping the HK7 as far as I know....so in answer to your question, NO.