C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Wifey's new CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 07:05 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wifey's new CLS55

I finally had a chance to take pictures, albeit poor quality shots w/Treo phone, of the CLS55 w/030 at the dealerhsip. The vehicle will be there for a few more days but I just wanted to share these pcitures for those CLS55 enthusiasts.

I hope the wifey likes this vehicle even though she didn't pick it and has no idea about it.
Old 01-10-2006 | 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Nice car. How about letting us know how the 030 package performs and how it compares to your E55.
Old 01-10-2006 | 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

What interior did you get?
Old 01-10-2006 | 07:52 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
What interior did you get?
Charcoal
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by adx
Charcoal
I bet you already know that's my favorite ..
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:07 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I bet you already know that's my favorite ..
I just hope it is a favorite with the wifey.
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:12 PM

2008 Z06
You know what if she doesn't want it, just send it on my way!!!
Old 01-10-2006 | 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Awesome ride buddy!~! Lookin good!~!
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:11 PM

a toy
2nd dibs :p

Btw, just toss a big red bow on it and she'll love it. I can't believe how you can resist driving it. I would be at the dealer everyday taking "test drives" of my own car

Originally Posted by MHaynes772
You know what if she doesn't want it, just send it on my way!!!
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:21 PM

a few...
cool gift. she will love it, and if not you will!
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:28 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Damn thats a hot looking car - oh thats right I've got one too!!!! LOL

Can Drive 55
Nice car. How about letting us know how the 030 package performs and how it compares to your E55.
here are my first impressions of the CLS55 vs E55 after 4 days of ownership

Let me start off by saying that the last impression of my E55 was getting the 12.169 at Moroso, so I was on a real high that day, and to give the car back to the dealer only 10 hours later, and with only 9000 miles on the clock was really sad. I loved that car like no other car I have had – no car has put a smile on my face more than my E55 – felt like a kid every time I drove it.

So moving to the CLS was bitter sweet. I had had the car on order with the 030 package for a long time. I have always like the lines of the CLS since I first saw the pics of it 2 years ago. And then I drove them at the AMG challenges (Homestead and Road America). At the challenge I couldn’t tell you that the CLS was any better than the E55 they both were awesome on the track and I lapped similar times in each one. What I did notice at the challenge is that the CLS is much smaller inside, and had faster steering than my 04 E55, but no different to the 05 E55’s they were running there.

In the 4 days since I have had my car I can definitely reiterate – the interior is MUCH smaller than the E55 – I had 3 large clients in the car today, and they were cramped compared to the E55 – this is a fact. But I only transport clients maybe one a month and its normally only short jaunts too and from the airport 5 miles each way, so I figure they can tough it out.

Getting in and out of the car is not as easy as the E55 because of the lower roof line, but its no big deal. The waistline is much higher, and this, along with a massive A pillar, a wide B pillar and a huge C pillar and the low roof line makes for WAY REDUCED VISIBILITY ALL ROUND. I am driving way more cautiously because (well it’s a new car) but also I just don’t have the same wrap around visibility that I am used to in the E55. And the side rear view mirrors are tiny compared to the E, further reducing your sense of whats around you.

The E55 was also way more stealthy. The CLS attracts attention (newer and less plentiful). Stealthy is good, especially for some high speed runs. And ro innocent road kills late at night. Only the knowledgeable know and respect the E55 badge, the unknowing are often taught respect in very humbling way.

What the CLS offers that my E55 didn’t is more sex appeal – like I said its newer, its less abundant and its much sexier (imo). It draws lots of stares, from airport porters, to young kids to UPS drivers, and most importantly I have already had a couple of come-hither looks from the fairer sex, and believe me I am no Brad Pitt (as those who know me will concur). It really does have sexy lines and from some views (rear ¾) it almost has Aston Martin look to it. And that’s part of my attraction to the car. Spending 110k (incl tax on a car and having no sex appeal is, well, not sexy!!!!!

Taking a look at various items that I can comment on

Upgraded brakes – 030 package comes with the compound brakes (two piece brakes – separate hub and rotor). They are also cross drilled and slotted. Still too early to tell if they work any better.

19” wheels – wasn’t really sure I liked the look of the SL65 wheels, but they are growing on me. The ride with 19” wheels is definitely firmer (and a little harsher) but it gives more feedback in the steering. Kind of miss the suppleness over the freeway joints of the E55 cushy ride. Standard tires are the Michelin PS2’s 255x35x19’s up front and 285x30x19’s in the rear. Also note that the CLS55 with 030 performance package does not come with a spare wheel – bummer. Only Tirefit sealant and compressor.

Alcantra Steering wheel – now this I like – would never have paid the money to buy it for the E55 but now that I have it on the CLS I really enjoy it – larger grip, softer feel. Definitely and enhancement.

Speed delimiter – well now I can chase up to 185 mph YEEHAH – and I know I will do it soon – I had my E55 on the limiter in the first 500 miles, and many times since – it always felt glued to the road. When this baby is run in more, I will take it up to its limiter for sure.

LSD – well I have the window sticker that says I have to change the diff oil at 1800 miles, so according to the forum gurus, that means the LSD is definitely there – haven’t lifted the car up to check, and its certainly not on any sales literature, not on the options list, not on the window sticker. BUT in the maintenance booklet there is a line that says that the Rear Axle differential fluid must be replaced between 1000-3000 miles (CLS55 with AMG Performance Package only) – so now I am resting easier. As to how effective it is – no idea yet. The SL65 forum has some instances of LSD diff issues when guys have run teh engines hard right away, so they encourage an easy breakin period.

TPMS – another gimmick in my opinion – nice to have but I wouldn’t pay for it. Who knows – I might change my mind about this too.

HK sound system – this system sounds better than the same system in my E – Way better. No idea why.

Navigation – its not as bad as I had heard – just need to quiet the ***** down – damn where do I find that option?!

Active seats – well they seem like a gimmick, but haven’t had them on a track yet so I will defer till then, right now they are annoying so they are switched off.

thats about all I can add for now
Old 01-11-2006 | 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by adx
I finally had a chance to take pictures, albeit poor quality shots w/Treo phone, of the CLS55 w/030 at the dealerhsip. The vehicle will be there for a few more days but I just wanted to share these pcitures for those CLS55 enthusiasts.

I hope the wifey likes this vehicle even though she didn't pick it and has no idea about it.

Great looking car..

I'd plan on having the best sex in years after giving her that car
Old 01-11-2006 | 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by siswati
TPMS – another gimmick in my opinion – nice to have but I wouldn’t pay for it. Who knows – I might change my mind about this too.
This is actually a very usefull feature. Especially if you go out on the autobahn and drive it fast. The system will warn if a tire is too deflated ('cause of puncture), which is nice if you're going 150Mph.

I believe AMG won't even raise the VMAX on aftermarket vehicles if TPMS isn't installed.

Originally Posted by siswati
Navigation – its not as bad as I had heard – just need to quiet the ***** down – damn where do I find that option?!
On my 'old' command you can quiet her down by lowering the volume through the regular volume control whilst she is speaking. Perhaps this works the same on your nav?

Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2006 | 04:03 PM

06 CLS55
hey siswati,

I have the hk on my E320 it sounds good. I had heard that it wasn't as good on the cls.

You are the first one to say otherwise! Glad to hear that; could it be that the cls has a smaller interior than the E? thats why it sound better
Old 01-11-2006 | 04:04 PM
ON PROBATION

siswati- great, complete report-- many thanks!
Old 01-11-2006 | 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Footprints?

Originally Posted by idrivatitleist
Great looking car..

On the inside windshield??????
Old 01-11-2006 | 08:13 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by idrivatitleist
Great looking car..

Does that' mean I might finally be getting some after all these years? The car will be delivered to her by the MB salesman this Saturday evening at the restaurant we are celebrating her birthday so I will let you guys know if she likes it. If not, then I guess I'll have two AMG 55s to choose from each day to drive.
Old 01-11-2006 | 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by adx
Does that' mean I might finally be getting some after all these years? :rolleyes: The car will be delivered to her by the MB salesman this Saturday evening at the restaurant we are celebrating her birthday so I will let you guys know if she likes it. If not, then I guess I'll have two AMG 55s to choose from each day to drive. :naughty:
My kinda guy with an E55 and a CLS55. Really cant go wrong with either car, however in my house, the wife gets the hand me down E55 lol. I still think she drove that care more than me in the 2 years I have owned that car hmm.
Old 01-11-2006 | 09:38 PM

2006 S55 & 97 T88h Supra
can you take detailed pictures of the rear fenders? i understand they are slightly modified with the 030 package.
Old 01-11-2006 | 10:16 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG_Mike
can you take detailed pictures of the rear fenders? i understand they are slightly modified with the 030 package.
Will do. I did notice the rear fender appearing wider.
Old 01-12-2006 | 04:32 PM

cls
That's one sweet ride...and please post the pic of the rear fenders, I couldn't see the difference.
Old 01-12-2006 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
This man also tried to impress his wife with a CLS55 http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jan06/1...Impounded.html
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:21 PM

so did wify like the car and did the tinted windows help cover up the celebrations lol
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:45 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update on Wifey's CLS55

Originally Posted by livestrongONe
so did wify like the car and did the tinted windows help cover up the celebrations lol
Update:
-------

Yes, the wifey loves the car. Here's how it went. I told her early in the week that I would take her out to dinner this Saturday for her birthday. In past birthdays, I would typically not have reservation and always scrambled at the last minute to find a restaurant to take my wife for her birthday. So when I told her I had reservations, she was surprised. I arranged the restaurant reservation to accomodate us, our 2 kids and 24 close family and friends. Bear in mind this was a surprise party. So Saturday comes around, I pretty much worked half the day and did errands for the other half letting her think that the evening was nothing special about the evening other than just to go out and have a nice dinner. We get to the restaurant and our surprise dinner party was in the back of the restaurant which hid everyone from sight which she was quite surprise at the surprise party. About half an hour later, the MB sales person contacts my sister-in-law to inform her that he is the parking lot with the new CLS55 which they trade parking space since my sister-in-law's car was park right in front of the main entrance. About an 1 1/2 later after everyone finishes their dinner, a couple our friends had to leave early which provides an opportunity for the wife and me to see our friends out. We walk out of the restaurant to see our friends off when I take the keys out and hit the unlock button which turns on the car lights and tell her happy birthday. She was quite surprise and so were the friends we walk out the restaurant with. Next thing you know, all of our guests start coming out including few of the restaurant employees. All in all everything went real well and the wifey finally gets her CLS55. I will post pics of both the CLS55 and E55 as soon as I get chance. Cheers.
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Congrats. I think I might dump the E55 for a refreshed CL and give the CLS to my wife. Also getting rid of the E350 for a R63.

Exciting few years as I look forward to get rid of the TL as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wifey's new CLS55