Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
The big debate...

Lowering via STAR or lowering module.

STAR
Works the same as the module but has limited drop height. Less likely to void MBZ warranty. Price is relatively cheaper. Takes around 30 minutes to an hr. However, certain dealerships will not allow the use of STAR to lower the car.

Lowering module (Brabus, MKB, Carlsson, A.R.T)
Each specific tuner has different settings for its lowering module. Some are aggressive, some are moderate, and some, you just cant see. There is a significant chance to void MBZ warranty, most likely just the suspension. However, depending on which dealership, some might just close one eye and pretend not to notice. Soldering and cutting of wires are needed which takes longer to install. Probably 3-5 hrs. Price is 1300-1600 depending on which tuner.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 PM

06 CLS55
Soldering

I used to be a pager tech so I soldered crystals like there was no tomorrow. Would this be as easy to do and would you even recommend someone with little experience to do this upgrade on their own?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An owner with little experience on soldering can do the upgrade on his own. Problem is be very careful and READ the installation manual first. If anyone here need the manual, please let me know. I can get the pdf file for you. It is essential to read the manual first. If anyone feel uncomfortable in doing this upgrade, then he or she should bring in the car to an aftermarket autobody shop.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Thumbs up Brackets & Links

adam@kronen - Don't forget Sensor Brackets or Sensor Links as other methods of lowering MB Air Ride Cars. - Bob
Old 02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, Brabus require soldering. Carlsson meanwhile is mainly cutting and plugging in. So..either way, an inexperience owner can install it by himself but has to read the installation manual.

As for the brackets sensor, it is risky because it voids your suspension warranty IMMEDIATELY (due to the fact that the dealership technician SEES it) if you bring your car in. But it is the cheapest method. However, bear in mind you are risking voiding your warranty and ruining your airmatic ride. Either way, you guys i believe will make the best decision!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by adam@kronen
As for the brackets sensor, it is risky because it voids your suspension warranty IMMEDIATELY (due to the fact that the dealership technician SEES it) if you bring your car in. But it is the cheapest method. However, bear in mind you are risking voiding your warranty and ruining your airmatic ride. Either way, you guys i believe will make the best decision!
i dunno what dealer ur talking about, my cousins car has been to 3 different dealers and no1 said a thing about his links (e320), my uncles car is also lowered (sl500) and no1 says anything.

how does it ruin the airmatic?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Airmatic and ABC play an important role in your ride quality. When you install links to trick the sensors, your ride quality will be compromised because the drop will be extreme. ABC and Airmatic wouldnt function the way it should. If you read the owners' manual, the car will raise automatically on a bumpy road. However, if you install links to trick the sensor, the car will not raise automatically thus rendering ABC/Airmatic useless. If you hit the pothole, you most likely to damage your suspension. Sure, its a cheap way to do it, but considering the fact that you risk ride comfort and your $2000 suspension.