C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS500 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500 vs 550i

I am in the market to buy eighter a CLS 500/550 with amg kit or a 550i with M aero kit. I drove both vehicles last week and Benz wins the 550i in every way by the design interior and exterior. But when it comes to driving the 550i has better handling and is faster but it rides rough. In that case the CLS was very quiest and soft and was not bad in performance. (I heard the CLS 550 will be anounced in July this year with 382hp which will be faster than the 550i).I liked the interior of the CLS better than the 550i because the 5 series seems too regular to me but i did like the i drive system. I came to a conclusion that the 550i is more of a perfomance car and a drivers car. The CLS is an eye catching car with very good performance, comfort and luxury. There is no way a CLS passes by you and you dont notice it. Their both very good cars in different ways. I am stuck and don't know which to get . Which car would u prefer the CLS 500 with amg kit or the bmw 550i with M aero kit? If you dont know what M aero kit is tell me and i will post pics. Thanks for your opinion and advice
Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
I considered the the 5 series (as well as the 6) before deciding on the CLS. The 5 lost out because of the unattractive exterior and rather cheap looking interior for the price. I agree with you on noise levels in the 5 (the 6 series had considerable road noise too). The CLS competes with the 6 series, not the 5, so it is a superior vehicle to the 5 on many levels. The E class and 5 series are in the same class of car. BTW, I was a 20 year BMW enthusiast/owner before I bought my CLS last year. I think your decision will be based on what you value in a car.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by cda
I considered the the 5 series (as well as the 6) before deciding on the CLS. The 5 lost out because of the unattractive exterior and rather cheap looking interior for the price. I agree with you on noise levels in the 5 (the 6 series had considerable road noise too). The CLS competes with the 6 series, not the 5, so it is a superior vehicle to the 5 on many levels. The E class and 5 series are in the same class of car. BTW, I was a 20 year BMW enthusiast/owner before I bought my CLS last year. I think your decision will be based on what you value in a car.
CLS competes with 6 series??? Not the 5??? therefore it is a superior vehicle????????

You do know that 6 series is a two door version of the same 5 chassis right?

Last time i check, 6 series is a true sports coupe with convertible. The CLS is a 4 door couple wanna be. CLS is based on the W211 chassis (if fact- it is a re-bodied W211 with better interior).

Don't see how your logic applies?

You may have argument on the CLS interior, because MB did incorporate more luxurious interior for the CLS, but you are paying a premium for it. Bascially you are paying for a souped up W211.

As far as original poster is concerned. It depends on what you want. Luxurious interior and a smooth boat ride over a harsh ride sports sedan. Simple choices. If you think 550i sport's ride is harsh, i don't think BMW would suit you.

Personally, I think CLS is one of the ugliest car on the planet. It does grab attenion, but to me is grabs the attention the wrong way. CLS reminds me of a silkwarm everytime i see it. (or from the side, it looks like a whale.)
Old 03-09-2006, 01:01 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Originally Posted by krispykrme
CLS competes with 6 series??? Not the 5??? therefore it is a superior vehicle????????

Last time i check, 6 series is a true sports coupe with convertible. The CLS is a 4 door couple wanna be. CLS is based on the W211 chassis (if fact- it is a re-bodied W211 with better interior).

You may have argument on the CLS interior, because MB did incorporate more luxurious interior for the CLS, but you are paying a premium for it. Bascially you are paying for a souped up W211.

As far as original poster is concerned. It depends on what you want. Luxurious interior and a smooth boat ride over a harsh ride sports sedan. Simple choices. If you think 550i sport's ride is harsh, i don't think BMW would suit you.

Personally, I think CLS is one of the ugliest car on the planet. It does grab attenion, but to me is grabs the attention the wrong way. CLS reminds me of a silkwarm everytime i see it. (or from the side, it looks like a whale.)
I am more than aware of the fact that the 6 series is based on the 5 series platform and the CLS is based on the E class platform. I also believe that the 6 series is superior to the 5 and the same goes for the CLS to the E. A four door "couple" wanna be? That says it all for me.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55

The CLS is the ugliest car on the planet? I'm failing to see why you bother posting your pointless opinions on the CLS forum,
Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The cls has a cramped back seat and many blind spots but definetly is not ugly...a little unpractical as a fully functional sedan maybe
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM

06 CLS55
Its a mercedes forum?? What do you think we would pick? If we can afford a cls we could have gotten the 5? We chose to be different, do I think the cls is the greatest looking car? No. Unique,different then the norm, yes.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:24 PM

S550
I Think the CLS is gorgeous. It looks 100 times better then any bmw out there.

I've seen the new M6, it can't be compared to the cls55 amg. IT'S ugly I give you that. The only last one standing for bmw is the new 750 and 760 they redesign it I think it looks better.

Even the new 3 series looks like crap. I love the old 3.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I agree...the 5 series is soooo boring, and I had a 545i....... the CLS looks so much better.... no comparison.... not to mention you've got everyone out there with the 525 lease deal that looks pretty much the same as the 530i, 545i, 550i.....

the 6 series is better looking, but really, I just can't belive that BMW is trying to sell an $80,000+ convertible with a lame a** soft top.... come on... even Volkswagen will have a hard top convertible.....

Originally Posted by NY_SG
I Think the CLS is gorgeous. It looks 100 times better then any bmw out there.

I've seen the new M6, it can't be compared to the cls55 amg. IT'S ugly I give you that. The only last one standing for bmw is the new 750 and 760 they redesign it I think it looks better.

Even the new 3 series looks like crap. I love the old 3.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
CLS reminds me of a silkwarm everytime i see it. (or from the side, it looks like a whale.)
That's pretty funny, because the M5 reminds me of this:

Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
How much is the AMG and M Package? If it costs a lot, why not move up to the AMG or M?

I think both cars, while they are true competitors ( I think the E, IMO is no longer a direct competitor to the 5 for various personal opinions). Both cars, while they probably serve the same purpose, truly have different characteristics. The BMW is always going to give you a stiffer ride over any Benz but you get other "pluses" if you care about road feel and agility. The BMWs typically always handle better and are more agile. Looks of the vehicle are subjective IMO, while I was not a big fan of the CLS at first the car looks better everyday (I gave up my CLS55 last Feb after I saw the vehicle in person and sat in the back seats). Now I think the CLS looks very unique in a good way.

I think there was a post about M5 vs. CLS55 and think you should check it out as many good points were made.

I own the M5 and this is probably the longest I've owned a vehicle in the last 6 years....I'm having too much fun in this car so I'm naturally biased towards the M5 on the CLS55 vs M5 comparisons. I personally think both the MB and BMW interiors look hideous in every model and both makes have their share of electrical issues. I am looking forward to the CLS63 to see if AMG truly made some necessary changes to the chassis and gearbox.

BMW will handle better and probably will be faster (for some reason the BMWs always seemed quicker, don't know why given the displacement differences, gearing maybe?)

MB is more appealing to the eye (seems to be the general consensus here, although both cars remind me of a shark when I look at both front ends with the 5 looking like a fatter shark)

BMW gives you free maintenance, MB you pay after 04 models

Both BMW and MB have *****ty service

Both 550i and CLS550 will probably cost close to sticker

I hear the new GS460 is coming out and that should be pretty interesting...and yes the GS4xx do handle very well despite their reputation. While billion folds much more reliable than either MB or BMW, the looks of the GS can take some time to get used to for some.

Important thing is, your problem is a good problem to have I guess since half of the population can only dream of ever owning either vehicles...

Good luck with your decision.