C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Cls 55 Or M5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls 55 Or M5?

I am sooooo confused...i havent drivent the new m5 but drove a cls 55 today and really liked it....does the 030 option make the car any faster? seat of pants faster? or just cosmetic basically and better brakes? anyone driven both the new m5 and the cls 55 and can really tell me the difference?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Check your PM. I sent you a reply to your PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
030 package does not increase HP, it does remove the speed limiter, and gives you LSD, along with a few other goodies. I personally don't see the $9k value, but thats just me
Old 03-15-2006, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The upgraded suspension, brakes, LSD, wheels, incrased limit to 186mph, amg tuned ac sports suspension are all well worth the money IMO. These same upgrades done via aftermarket will cost a fortune and wont carry the factory warranty.

I believe EvolutionMarine also has the 030 package and he loves it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
What really amuzes me is there are no roads other then a race track that you can possibly get the full affect of this car, can you explain to me how and where you will use these features? Now if they added another 30 HP with this package then I can see some value.... keep in mind these are my opinions, different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM

2010 ZR1 2011 JGC Overland 2013 ML63 on order
I ordered the 030 package and wouldn't want the car any other way. The wheels and brakes & LSD are killer. Plus the speed limiter has been raised to 186 so when you want to have some high speed fun, you can go ***** out.. Get the 030 pkg, you'll be very happy.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I would suggest you go drive an M5. That will tell you very quickly what you value in a car as each do things very differently with different goals.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by cte430
I would suggest you go drive an M5. That will tell you very quickly what you value in a car as each do things very differently with different goals.
Best advice!
Both,although competing in the same performance/price range,could not be different.
Make sure you test M5 on extended drive(it takes some time to get used to,it really is more complicated initially),use P500S mode and see which car would fill your needs better.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
IMO the 030 package is also the way to go. The wheels, LSD and Brakes make it worth the $9k. I don't think the increased speed limiter benefits anyone in the US but its cool to think about. I can't think of a road track where you would have a long enough straight to hit, not to mention sustain 186MPH. You can always take it to Bonneville.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:08 PM

sls, e63
really very different cars in their personalities. excellent advice someone gave to spend enough time with the m5 to adequately judge its merits. i have both and love both; having said that, the m5 feels more agile and is faster than an unmodified cls55, and rewards driver involvement to a greater degree. both are extremely well made.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM

a few...
I agree. We have both and the CLS is an absolutely awesome car to drive around, sporty and controlled with great looks. The exhaust, I swear, makes you want to push the car more and more just to hear it. It is just that good.
The M5, my DD at the moment, is incredible. Completely capable of everything you would want. You should see how it throws some weight around the corners, does it well for a 4 door, much easy than with the CLS, unless you order the 030. Okay, this is pretty hard I must admit.

It's basically what you want out of driver involvement.

First up, the CLS. You walk up and the first thing to mind is ...Wow. The looks are out of this world, absolutely incredible. You start her up and vroom, listen to that beast. You simply put it into gear and voila! There you have one of the most potent sedans in the world and it's capable by simply one action. Put it into Drive. The CLS has the exhaust note right from a flat out muscle car. It's weird almost, but addictive. It has a burbling sound down low if you listen just right. Wide open, it's an absolute roar. Incredible and even your passengers tend to be astonished. The speed just adds on and the pull still keeps up until about 120, it's crazy.

The M5. Well, when you get in, with the Comfort Access, which you can do on the CLS as well, press the Start Button. When you start it, you might actually be confused. The engine... well... it doesn't exactly sound right. Sounds like a diesel. Look over and oh! it's not an auto. It's a weird SMG thing knob. Over to the right Drive, Middle is Neutral and Up Left is Reverse. Get it going and you realize, what a second, this thing has no torque converter. I mean, it has no clutch... but no torque converter.. but it's a sequential manual. You get going and you shift gears by paddles or the shifter, in the opposite direction. You pull back to upshift, push forward for down. It's a really trick gearbox. The pulling power of the car is surprising, it's not that bad down low for such a highrevin' V10. You have it in all normal mode, kind of feels like a 400hp sedan, it'll move like a mother but nothing like an M5. You then press the magical button, the M button. Yes, you can have it all for you right there with one button. Get over it already. All you do to launch is hold the gearshift forward to launch and give it some gas and then release... do this in M button, one button before and you have an incredible pulling power that is powerful but just doesn't stop until 8250rpm. And the shifting, well just think of a rifle shot going off in the back. Not the loud but that kind of feeling, hard to explain but it's just that fast to shift.

Some bias towards the M5 since it is my DD but we have had the CLS for about a year now and it's a great DD, had it for two months. Hope this gives a little more insight. Either one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:37 AM

C32 AMG
which car depends on what you'd rather have

do you want sometihng ugly or pretty?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
this is hard..... ...M5 I like the engine........CLS55 I like the way the car look......sorry can't help you on this one........
Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
M-5's are nice for play-----

CLS'S will get you laid!!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
CLS might get you laid if you are 40 and looking...if you are younger, go M5 if you want that lol. Something about the mercs that dont make the girls jump.

Haha Now seriously...I own an E55 now, and am debating the same thing...CLS55 or M5, but personally, if I go to the M5, I'm waiting til the fall when it comes out in stick. The CLS is a great looking car, and I like the power I have in my E55, but I don't think the comfort will be there for rear passengers on longer trips inside the CLS..so I'm kind of leaning towards the M5.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if you are debating for a CLS55 or M5... just wait for the CLS63... and the peroformance handling and straight line will be more equal.

right now the CLS is the street power king and M5 is highway power king.

M5 is the track king and the CLS is the comfort and sexy King.

The CLS is way more attractive to the ladies than an M5. Here in LA, and specially in West LA area, you will see many CLS55, 500's driven by young professionals (men and women), alot more than you would a M5. The body style is way more dramatic than a 5 serious with a body kit, if you follow my logic.

There are way too many 5's here in LA, therefore the M5 blends in. The CLS does not.

M5 is an specialty car, almost like a cult car. Only few know its potential.

Last thought: The CLS55 will eventually become a rare car and the mod potential is very impressive. So if you can wait for the 63 do it, if you can't the 55k motor is proven and can be taken to higher levels.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM

S550
Girls are all the same well almost, just show you got money and you'll get laid np.

Honestly speaking CLS55 is a beautiful car sorta epic. The m5 is just plain ugly. Who cares about performance round tracks and handling, how much are you going to use that anyways?

You probably race on a straight line more then anything else. Both great cars though.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by NY_SG
Girls are all the same well almost, just show you got money and you'll get laid np.

Honestly speaking CLS55 is a beautiful car sorta epic. The m5 is just plain ugly. Who cares about performance round tracks and handling, how much are you going to use that anyways?

You probably race on a straight line more then anything else. Both great cars though.

Very true. Not to mention that 5 series body style has been around for what seems like FOREVER. Not that it ever got looks before but adding a little M badge and those small gills just dont cut it.

If yer talking about the girls, most wont know the difference between an M5 and a 525i anyway and they will assume it's similar to the new 3 series they are driving
Old 03-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG's
I had this same debate on what to buy and with out test driving the M5 my wife and I feel in love with the CLS. It does not look like any other mercedes. The M5 looks like the 7 series but smaller and the 3 series but a little bigger.